You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

7 hours ago, Mook said:

His stats are still good but watching him play has been painful at times. I though he was wretched when he came on against Wolves other than the scuffed shot which went in.

I love Mo but that African Nations Cup has completely fucked a season where he could've broken all sorts of records for us.

Can’t wait to see what the World Cup does to him - and everyone.

56 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think us normals put too much emphasis on the money. If someone offered us, say, 50% more to go somewhere else, then we'd go in a heartbeat, because that would mean something to us. It would make a real difference to our lives. But if you're already being paid, say, £150,000 every fucking week, why would more money be attractive? What would you do with it that you can't already do? How would it make your life better?

I think you have that backwards.

Mo Salah is Egyptian with no ties to Merseyside. He's played in Switzerland,Italy and two spells in England. The one thing that has happened during his spell at Anfield is that he has risen to among the very best elite players in the world and all that carries with it. Whether he wants to cash in the cheques that this brings in his last few years as a player or stay in a football team that suits his style perfectly is what it's all about now. It looks like he wants to cash those cheques.

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That an extra 50% would make a difference to Premier League footballers, but not to me or you?

Nah, I think we ordinary plebs underestimate the value of incremental cash amounts to rich people.
We go “£150 grand a week, that’s more than I earn in 4 years, why wouldn’t you be happy earning that playing for a great team, it’s already more money than you’ll ever need”.

But footballers go “Grealish is on £400k a week, I’m better than him. I deserve at least £500 grand a week”.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Nah, I think we ordinary plebs underestimate the value of incremental cash amounts to rich people.
We go “£150 grand a week, that’s more than I earn in 4 years, why wouldn’t you be happy earning that playing for a great team, it’s already more money than you’ll ever need”.

But footballers go “Grealish is on £400k a week, I’m better than him. I deserve at least £500 grand a week”.

Ego plays a massive part. And of course nobody wants to think they're being undervalued. Even when you're a multi millionaire, I am sure knowing you're being given your worth plays a part too. People assume there's a massive emotional attachment. They're just going to work. We like some jobs, we dislike others. We expect our worth regardless. 

In the words of the sage Donald J. Trump, "Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score".

Mo likes to keep score, he wants to be the best. He's not satisfied with team honours, he sets himself personal targets, and money - whether we like it or not - is one way players keep tally of how well they're doing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

As I've got older I've actually felt pity for players that stay at one club their whole careers (except for those rare players who get to play at the top for the team they supported all their lives of course). 

They've an amazing talent that can take them around the world.  You should want to try other leagues and teams, especially at a world class level.  Once you turn professional it should be a personal target to play in at least 2 top leagues.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

As I've got older I've actually felt pity for players that stay at one club their whole careers (except for those rare players who get to play at the top for the team they supported all their lives of course). 

They've an amazing talent that can take them around the world.  You should want to try other leagues and teams, especially at a world class level.  Once you turn professional it should be a personal target to play in at least 2 top leagues.

Yeah I agree, love Liverpool as I do I'd still want to try other leagues. There's nothing wrong with that at all. I would have been sick if Gerrard had gone to Chelsea but if he'd gone to Barcelona in their pomp, who'd have begrudged him that? Especially with all the grief he was getting here at the time. They're not property, they're under contract to do a job. 

This has been the direction of travel for a long time now. Players aren't on Steve McManaman wages where there is a genuine risk with running down a contract. The deal Mbappe just done is a huge game changer, players will now be looking for all their transfer value as a signing on fee and realistically there isn't much reason not to give it to them.

26 minutes ago, No2 said:

This has been the direction of travel for a long time now. Players aren't on Steve McManaman wages where there is a genuine risk with running down a contract. The deal Mbappe just done is a huge game changer, players will now be looking for all their transfer value as a signing on fee and realistically there isn't much reason not to give it to them.

Other than not wanting to bankrupt your club of course. While I have no real love for FSG,if they say Mo is asking too much then I will take them at their word based on how they've run the club over the last 7 or 8 years. Mbappe plays for an oil rich nation club with unlimited resources while Salah is at a wealthy club with finite resources. Big difference.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Other than not wanting to bankrupt your club of course. While I have no real love for FSG,if they say Mo is asking too much then I will take them at their word based on how they've run the club over the last 7 or 8 years. Mbappe plays for an oil rich nation club with unlimited resources while Salah is at a wealthy club with finite resources. Big difference.

I was talking in more general terms, if a 31 year old out of contract Mo is worth 30m then it's fair enough he asks us for that if Madrid or Newcastle are prepared to give it him. Its also absolutely fair that we decide he's worth only half that. I've been on this train for along time, get his best years from him and move on to the next guy. There doesn't need to be any bad blood here, everyone behaves like an adult and it will be fine.*

*Unless he goes to Newcastle the fucking cunt.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

I was talking in more general terms, if a 31 year old out of contract Mo is worth 30m then it's fair enough he asks us for that if Madrid or Newcastle are prepared to give it him. Its also absolutely fair that we decide he's worth only half that. I've been on this train for along time, get his best years from him and move on to the next guy. There doesn't need to be any bad blood here, everyone behaves like an adult and it will be fine.*

*Unless he goes to Newcastle the fucking cunt.

Or PSG,or City.

23 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The oil clubs have definitely distorted it and the argument will continue to go in circles until they're gone and it's impossible to have a reasonable argument about these owners until they are. It will be interesting to see what happens after the world cup at Paris. And while it would seem city's owners are here to stay, they have already accepted external money into their ownership structure, so they're not certain to be here forever. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I can see how some would insist on being the best paid at their club, but even then it's not the money but the status that it represents. 

But footballers are human and (most) humans know that there's more to happiness than endlessly acquiring stuff; quality of life doesn't improve with a payrise from £200k to £300k. I don't know whether Salah registered it, but if you look at the Kop cheering Maka for her now-traditional end-of-season goal, you would surely think that that's the sort of moment that you want your children to enjoy; things like that can't be bought.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I was reading about Henrikh Mkhitaryan when he came off injured last night. 

An Armenian with a Russian mother who spent part of his childhood in France. He's played in Ukraine, Germany, England, and Italy.

He speaks eight languages.

There's something deeply admirable about that. And it's so far from the experience of English footballers, for example.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I can see how some would insist on being the best paid at their club, but even then it's not the money but the status that it represents. 

But footballers are human and (most) humans know that there's more to happiness than endlessly acquiring stuff; quality of life doesn't improve with a payrise from £200k to £300k. I don't know whether Salah registered it, but if you look at the Kop cheering Maka for her now-traditional end-of-season goal, you would surely think that that's the sort of moment that you want your children to enjoy; things like that can't be bought.

The difference between £200k & £300k per week means a great deal in terms of security for future generations of your family. Or indeed whatever else a player wanted to do with £100k per week (less tax).

I think you're underestimating their greed (generally speaking), hugely in fact.

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I wish I had your sense of optimism mate. I think an extra 100k a week might override his daughter's goal. Hope I'm wrong but...