You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Would love Mo to sign his contract here but I think he's 75 / 25 in favour of moving on. If he puts in his old self performance on Saturday, Im bracing myself for Real to come in with a bid now they have missed out on both Haaland and Mbappe.

They'll want to make a headline signing for the summer.

I disagree. I don’t try to find things to read into, but I just don’t think that pitch walk had the signs of a man who doesn’t expect to be back. I’d not thought about that until right now, but I don’t.

For as bad as he's been in the second half of the season, there's the scenario next year where he gets to stay here during the World Cup after also having to play no meaningful football this summer. He could be back in top shape after some real periods of rest.

Plus, on the contract thing, it seems we're actually trying to extend him, unlike with Mané apparently. So even though there's no resolution there yet, I don't see why people should be more negative about him staying than with Mané, for example.

16 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

For as bad as he's been in the second half of the season, there's the scenario next year where he gets to stay here during the World Cup after also having to play no meaningful football this summer. He could be back in top shape after some real periods of rest.

Plus, on the contract thing, it seems we're actually trying to extend him, unlike with Mané apparently. So even though there's no resolution there yet, I don't see why people should be more negative about him staying than with Mané, for example.

For as bad as he’s been?

He’ s scored 9 goals and got 6 assists in 19 starts (25 games) the second half of the season. 

Luis Diaz, who everyone rightly think has been brilliant, he has scored 6 goals and got 4 assists in 17 starts (25 games) in the same period.

The different standard Salah is judge on compared with other players, both within our own fanbase and by journalists is frankly ridiculous.

Salah has not been poor the second half of the season, he’s just not been on «the out of this world» level he was the first half of the season.

AA40DEAE-E069-45D1-A403-8A57B588DD92.jpeg

DC6C67BF-5B40-491E-9AF5-D007ACDA97F3.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Code said:

For as bad as he’s been?

He’ s scored 9 goals and got 6 assists in 19 starts (25 games) the second half of the season. 

Luis Diaz, who everyone rightly think has been brilliant, he has scored 6 goals and got 4 assists in 17 starts (25 games) in the same period.

The different standard Salah is judge on compared with other players, both within our own fanbase and by journalists is frankly ridiculous.

Salah has not been poor the second half of the season, he’s just not been on «the out of this world» level he was the first half of the season.

I don't entirely disagree. His own standards are exceptional. But I can't remember the last time I thought he played well. In fact, I think our right-hand side has been off for some time (again: by its own exceptional standards). It may be that Trent and Salah are affecting each other negatively in that respect. As well as whoever in midfield is tasked with supporting them (Keita, for example?). 

9 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I don't entirely disagree. His own standards are exceptional. But I can't remember the last time I thought he played well. In fact, I think our right-hand side has been off for some time (again: by its own exceptional standards). It may be that Trent and Salah are affecting each other negatively in that respect. As well as whoever in midfield is tasked with supporting them (Keita, for example?). 

I thought Trent was tremendous up until his injury at the end of march. He's been a bit up and down since then, some magnificent performances (fa cup) and some less than good (the game he played before that whic I can't recall!). But they're all dead on their feet, it's almost impossible to expect them to be at their absolute best so often for so long. Salah has dipped since afcon and all his 120 mins there. Jota since carrying the forward line during afcon and his injury after. It'll be interesting to see how we come out of the traps on Saturday. They've had a 6 day break and no match to focus on. Even when players have been taken out for a game, they still prepare like they're playing. They still deal with what's happening on the pitch from the bench or home. We've basically had half a season of cup finals playing twice a week with a load of massive internationals for afcon and WC play offs and qualifying. I'm really hopefully we'll be genuinely lively on Saturday. 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought Trent was tremendous up until his injury at the end of march. He's been a bit up and down since then, some magnificent performances (fa cup) and some less than good (the game he played before that whic I can't recall!). But they're all dead on their feet, it's almost impossible to expect them to be at their absolute best so often for so long. Salah has dipped since afcon and all his 120 mins there. Jota since carrying the forward line during afcon and his injury after. It'll be interesting to see how we come out of the traps on Saturday. They've had a 6 day break and no match to focus on. Even when players have been taken out for a game, they still prepare like they're playing. They still deal with what's happening on the pitch from the bench or home. We've basically had half a season of cup finals playing twice a week with a load of massive internationals for afcon and WC play offs and qualifying. I'm really hopefully we'll be genuinely lively on Saturday. 

Absolutely. They must be running on fumes. Hopefully they can make it through the next game and do themselves justice.

Good news in medium term: summer off. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Absolutely. They must be running on fumes. Hopefully they can make it through the next game and do themselves justice.

Good news in medium term: summer off. 

and some of them will get a midseason break too. just got to hope salah stays so we can get the most of it out of him. 

11 minutes ago, luxury_scruff said:

In the press conference just now he said that he will be here next season...

yay! Another 12 months of will he/won't he sign.  What's the stumbling block? His agent is a cunt and so on and so forth.  

If he goes on a free, so be it. He's repaid his transfer fee, and then some.

Regardless, questions must be asked about why we have such difficulty retaining top class talent, despite being the top ranked team in world football.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Strontium said:

If he goes on a free, so be it. He's repaid his transfer fee, and then some.

Regardless, questions must be asked about why we have such difficulty retaining top class talent, despite being the top ranked team in world football.

We’ve kept everyone we’ve wanted for the last few years, with then exception maybe of Wijnaldum. I think things have changed for the better in that regard.

On 24/05/2022 at 11:54, Code said:

For as bad as he’s been?

His stats are still good but watching him play has been painful at times. I though he was wretched when he came on against Wolves other than the scuffed shot which went in.

I love Mo but that African Nations Cup has completely fucked a season where he could've broken all sorts of records for us.

• Upvote 1