You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Indifferent is too strong a word but whatever happens, I'm confident we can weather it.

Jota and Diaz are not going to want to be bit part players and they're both sensational footballers on the right end of their 20s. 

Sallah can leave with his head held high if he goes and always be a hero here. If he wants one last club abroad and a few quid to retire on then all power to him. Gonna miss that smile though.

I want him to sign but not at any price. It has to fit the clubs model regardless, I think he's unbelievable but there's a bigger picture. As a fan of him sometimes I think just pay him what he wants but as a fan of the club its got to be in the best interests of the club. Its a tight rope as long as it doesn't fall on the side of him joining a Premier league rival I'm easy with what happens.

I want him to stay, but after 3 decades of spending nearly every summer panicking that our best player(s) will leave as agent driven rumours fill the back pages, I’m taken a semblance of pleasure in watching probably the best player in the world almost pleading with us to give him what he wants so he can stay. All while our other brilliant players (in nearly every case the top 1 or 2 in their position in the world) have already happily signed up to long term contracts. Being the final destination as opposed to a stepping stone is a lovely feeling, and I’m going to enjoy it for as long as it’s the case. 

I’m absolutely fine with Salah demanding what he wants. He’s been phenomenal for us and owes us nothing. And I’m absolutely fine with us having our ceiling and refusing to go beyond it. There is no top team in world football more about the actual “team” than individuals than us, so if he goes, we’ll be fine. 

• Upvote 5

On 22/04/2022 at 20:35, elvis said:

Mo has scored some amazing goals for us , but he's not the consistent finisher that these two are. I'm not saying he's not a great player, but form can be very fragile and if he finds himself in Spain or Italy then good luck finding the patience and support he's had/ will have from us.

Salah is a winger, the other two are strikers.

Salah also seems to play under different rules. How on earth is this not a pen?

The talk about Klopp renewing is what Salah has been waiting for I guess, he will sign and he will stay. 

92FAB29A-6D5D-4324-AB02-330D0837E7AD.jpeg

• Upvote 3

He's a world class player, his scoring record is ridiculously impressive, he's a surprisingly fine team player, he works his socks off very game, and he deserves his Player of the Year award. So let's put it in that perspective. But that right foot of his - come on, he's just got to be able to use it every now and then. We can't pretend we don't see stuff so as not to invite lazy accusations that we don't appreciate him. 

That late chance last night. Sadio gets the ball on the left of the area. He passes promptly to the right, where all the space is. Mo is running at an angle to the right, where all the space is. He gets the ball, where all the space is. All the congestion is to his left. He has time and space for a shot straight ahead, or even a simple pass further right to Trent. And what does he do? He drags the ball back, pauses to change direction, and starts looking to move across the goal to the left, where one, two, three defenders and the keeper are, blocking the goal. And he doesn't even connect that well with his left because the quick change of direction has affected his balance.

So, again, please don't resort to lazy excuses. I'm not under-appreciating his brilliance. It's all about maximising what positives you have, and for such a clever player he must surely know that it's wrong. It's wrong that defenders know where he's going to look to go every single time he's got the ball on his right. It's wrong that no matter how good a chance he has there, he's going to surrender it for a chance to shoot with his left. However good he or anyone else is, that's just undeniably irrational. And yes, it can happen to the best, but not over and over and over again.

I'm just saying that, if he used his right just every now and then when logic suggests the right is needed, he'd be far less predictable and he'd get even more goals. And the team would waste fewer chances. It's not slagging the guy off, it's being honest and logical. Some of those decisions, because of his reluctance to use his right, are just infuriating.

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

He's a world class player, his scoring record is ridiculously impressive, he's a surprisingly fine team player, he works his socks off very game, and he deserves his Player of the Year award. So let's put it in that . But that right foot of his - come on, he's just got to be able to use it every now and then. We can't pretend we don't see stuff so as not to invite lazy accusations that we don't appreciate him. 

That late chance last . Sadio gets the on the left of . He passes promptly to the right, where all the space is. Mo is running at an angle to the right, where all the space is. He gets , where all the space is. All is to his left. He has time and space for a shot straight ahead, or even a simple pass further right to Trent. And what does he do? He drags back, pauses to change , and starts looking to move across to the left, where one, two, three defenders and the keeper are, blocking the goal. And he doesn't even connect that well with his left because the quick change of direction has affected his balance.

So, , please don't resort to lazy excuses. I'm not under-appreciating his brilliance. It's all about maximising what positives you have, and for such a clever player he must know that it's wrong. It's wrong that defenders know where he's going to look to go every single time he's got on his right. It's wrong that no matter how good he has there, he's going to surrender it for a chance to shoot with his left. good he or anyone else is, that's just undeniably irrational. And yes, it can happen to the best, but not over and over and over .

I'm just saying that, if he used his right just every now and then when logic suggests the right is needed, he'd be far less predictable and he'd get even more goals. And the team would waste fewer chances. It's not slagging the guy off, it's being honest and logical. Some of those decisions, because of his reluctance to use his right, are just infuriating.

A good post in full.

Mo has only been a shadow of his former self since his return from AFCON. Don’t get me wrong, apart from his lack of goal scoring and occasionally clumsy ball control when dribbling, he still produces fine passes & assists for his fellow strikers, and tracks back with full commitment, but he has lost confidence, for whatever reason.

With Sadio kicking on & the arrival and immediate impact of Luis, it’s possible that Mo is allowing himself to feel more pressure to perform. Mo comes across to me as the gentlest of characters. The contract dragging on could be another issue. Has he lost some of that self belief? All that shit in the world cup qualifier was it? Shit thrown at him as he left the pitch. 

There’s nothing like a handful of goals in front of the Kop to make him feel like the Egyptian King again. Klopp still believes in him. However, the contract may not get renewed until the season’s end. Who knows what the people that matter are thinking. Has the rebuilding begun, and Mo is’t part of it?

Questions questions.

12 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Hopefully we get Madrid in the final, Mo signs his new contract an hour or so beforehand and then fucks them like a train. To complete the quadruple. Not much to ask, is it?

He can’t go on BT Sport one night saying he wants Madrid, tweet that he wants payback, and then when given the opportunity not choose to sign his contract an hour or so beforehand, fuck them like a train and complete a quadruple.

• Upvote 1