You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

4 hours ago, Funkasy said:

Why the fuck give a interview now.?

I'm sure Sky specifically requested for him. You can see Foden was also interviewed. I reckon they have it as part of their deal to request players or managers for pre-match interviews, for big games especially. I think managers even get fined if they dont show up for post match interviews on Sky.

Either way, it is an extended interview and it wasnt organised solely for questions about Salah's contract. As you can see, he is trying hard not to talk about it. He literally says he doesnt want to be causing distractions by talking about it during this stage of the season. But the interviewer just kept on digging away at the issue.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Yes. Doing it before such an important game has pissed me off a bit.

To be fair, Sky probably asked the club for an interview with him in the run up to Sunday's game. Once they had him in front of a camera, beside asking about that they asked him inevitably about the contract.

They wont have just asked 'Mo, how's the contract negotiations going?'

• Upvote 1

I believe him when he says the contract thing isnt affecting his play. He is simply looking mentally jaded and not as sharp as usual because he has played too much football in the past few months.

4 times, he has played 120 minutes. In games for Egypt, he is generally running a lot chasing shit long balls. And still ended up losing the AFCON final, also failing to qualify for the world cup after blazing his penalty over the bar. It's all simply too much.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

I believe him when he says the contract thing isnt affecting his play. He is simply looking mentally jaded and not as sharp as usual because he has played too much football in the past few months.

4 times, he has played 120 minutes. In games for Egypt, he is generally running a lot chasing shit long balls. And still ended up losing the AFCON final, also failing to qualify for the world cup after blazing his penalty over the bar. It's all simply too much.

Actually 5 times he has played 120 for Egypt

Last 16, Qtrs, Semis, Final of AFCON

World Cup Play Off.

As you say simply too much.

Playing all those two hour games with barely a sniff at goal and then ending up on the losing side has got to be soul-destroying for a striker under pressure to be the saviour of his nation. Not surprising it wrecks his form every time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I really don't care one way or the other but it is obviously affecting his form and if he doesn't pick up quickly he has to be dropped. Fancy even being able to turn down wages of over 300k a week. Football is fucked.

It’s not obvious in the slightest when he’s had to play a stupid amount of football in the African shit cup.

Clearly running on fumes.

20 hours ago, waddy78 said:

I'm getting pissed off with all the stories now "Will he wont he" shite either sign it or say why he won't sign it "I want to stay BUT" and his agent is doing him no favours if it's delicate then why's the arsehole putting smiley images on twitter or wherever it was.

Just fucking sign it £400k a week fuck me.

Let's assume it won't be signed, do you really want him coming out in the middle of a run in saying that? The only way we get news now is if he signs, otherwise there will continue to be speculation, Mo and Klopp will both be asked about it and Abbas will continue to tweet. 

18 hours ago, waddy78 said:

There only one place to go once you leave Liverpool, just ask Torres, Coutinho, Owen and everyone else who's career took a nose dive after they left. Just sign the fucking deal kick your agent in the bollocks and get back to scoring goals for fun starting on Sunday would be great.

Torres won a fair bit after leaving us. He certainly did better than we did in that period. Alonso, Suarez, macherano and even fucking Arbeloa did just fine after leaving us. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Torres won a fair bit after leaving us. He certainly did better than we did in that period. Alonso, Suarez, macherano and even fucking Arbeloa did just fine after leaving us. 

Our club was in a bit of a state when most of them left and we looked miles away from competing for any silverware so I don't blame them for not wanting to waste their prime years on a transitional club. 

Not now though, this is peak Liverpool, we have a very good chance of winning the league and a great chance of winning the Champions League, the only reasons anyone should want to leave is either they aren't playing enough or they want more money. 

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

Our club was in a bit of a state when most of them left and we looked miles away from competing for any silverware so I don't blame them for not wanting to waste their prime years on a transitional club. 

Not now though, this is peak Liverpool, we have a very good chance of winning the league and a great chance of winning the Champions League, the only reasons anyone should want to leave is either they aren't playing enough or they want more money. 

I would say its a mix of both A and B. Origi and is leaving for lack of playing time,as did Shaqiri, but Wijnaldum left for the money despite his bollocks comments.

15 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I would say its a mix of both A and B. Origi and is leaving for lack of playing time,as did Shaqiri, but Wijnaldum left for the money despite his bollocks comments.

That’s worked out well for him.

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

On the flip side hasn't either for Shaqiri. Bit part player in France bombed out after 6 months - now playing in the MLS in a mid table side. At 30 years old.

I've said it before but he's a fucking weird player, tons of ability but has never quite kicked on for some reason or other.

3 hours ago, Aventus said:

I don't argue with any of that. I just don't subscribe to the idea your career is over when you leave Liverpool. For sporting reasons most players would be stupid to leave us while klopp is here. But he's only got 2 years left. 

22 hours ago, waddy78 said:

There only one place to go once you leave Liverpool, just ask Torres, Coutinho, Owen and everyone else who's career took a nose dive after they left. Just sign the fucking deal kick your agent in the bollocks and get back to scoring goals for fun starting on Sunday would be great.

I sang this to Downtown

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

39 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

It’s Ramadan from 1st April until 1st May, that will possibly have some effect on Mo, Naby and Sadio given the strict nature of when and what they can eat etc.. 
No surprise Mo’s struggling if he started Ramadan knackered.

I don't think it has that much of an effect on them - they seem to have really clever nutritional experts helping them through it.

This is lifted from an article about it:

Both Salah and Mane’s stats have previously shown no signs of dipping off when playing during the holy month. They will tailor their training around fasting to ensure they remain at peak performance. Muslim Chaplains in Sport (MCS) is a group which offers support to Premier League and EFL clubs ahead of and during Ramadan. Liverpool - and title rivals Manchester City - are two of the leading clubs to work with the group.

Clubs involved seek Islamic guidance from MCS on behalf of their Muslim players, including regarding issues such as deferring fasts so their performances in training and during matches are not affected.

MCS managing director Ismail Bhamji told BBC Sport : "Although there is no Islamic ruling for athletes, we provide advice on how they can keep their fasts and discuss whether they qualify for exemptions, such as when they are travelling or are ill. Muslim footballers come from a varying array of backgrounds and we have to find solutions that would work for all to practise their faith.

The coming month will see some differences during evening games in the Premier League and Champions League. With the UK now in BST, sunset is now after evening games will kick off. So when Liverpool take on Manchester United later in April, expect Salah and Mane to take on fluids once the sun sets.

There is no specific timing for games to be stopped or rule, but captains can request a drinks break at an appropriate moment in the game for players to break their fast. It is an informal agreement which also happened last season. The Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) are also due to undergo a seminar to better understand Ramadan. Football is ensuring it can be as inclusive as possible but the players themselves are the ones leading by example on the matter.

The biggest negative impact on Salah has been 5 lots of 120 mins plus 4 other games for Egypt in a very short space of time.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He'll be even fatter playing in the USA. At least the sponsors will have more room for adverts.

That's why they signed him. Shaqiri thought he was gonna be playing in his favourite position (whatever the fuck that is) when in reality they wanna lie him on the back of a trailer, spray paint 'Bills Bangin' Burgers' on each side of him and drive him up and down the freeway.