You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

11 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

What sort of message does it send about our ambition or are status as a club if we can’t tie down our best player, who has reiterated publicly that he wants to stay?

That we’re not an elite club. In that scenario, I’d suggest no-one should think for a second that the likes of Van Dijk, Fabinho and Alisson wouldn’t have their heads turned by interest from more ambitious sides if we’ve shown we’re not one, and who could blame them?

I agree, I will be livid if we don't sort out a new contract. 

For some context, the top 10 highest  paid players in the league are,

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United) – £500,000 p/w

2. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City) – £400,000 P/W

3. David de Gea (Manchester United) – £375,000 p/w

4. Jadon Sancho (Manchester United) – £350,000 P/W

5. Raphael Varane (Manchester United) – £340,000 p/w

6. Romelu Lukaku (Chelsea FC) – £325,000 p/w

7. Jack Grealish (Manchester City) – £300,000 P/W

8. Raheem Sterling (Manchester City) – £300,000 p/w

9. Ngolo Kante (Chelsea) – £290,000 p/w

10. Paul Pogba (Manchester United) – £290,000 P/W 

54 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yes, but not only Jarrod Bowen, by not overstretching and running the risk of being able to attract top-tier players, we’ll also be well positioned to stay in the black after missing out on CL football following Salah’s departure.

The deal will have saved us millions!

Spending millions could save Liverpool millions! Can’t see that one taking off with our friends at the Echo.

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If we have none of the top 10 then why is our wage bill constantly used as the reason for our inability to spend as much as Norwich City? Are we being that negligent in terms of the money we’re throwing at mediocre squad players? Are we the 20th biggest side in the country in terms of commercial revenue?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

If we have none of the top 10 then why is our wage bill constantly used as the reason for our inability to spend as much as Norwich City? Are we being that negligent in terms of the money we’re throwing at mediocre squad players?

Essentially yes. 

We pay Milner, Keita and Ox the same as City pay Bernardo Silva, Gundogan and Rodri! 

On 11/01/2022 at 16:42, Barrington Womble said:

You know though Dave, the spin will happen and the usual suspects will tell everyone how clever fsg are and everyone will just get on with it. 

I find the fsg out thing funny. I've never seen anyone on here say it and never known anyone in the real world say it. Fsg out is just a Twitter thing. "Fsg are cunts" on the the other hand........ 

Ordinarily yeah, but I feel like Mo transcends all that. This isn't Emre Can or even Gini not being paid. We've got the current best player in the world and if we fail to hold onto him despite him not agitating to leave, that's so damning. I don't think they can spin it to a degree that anyone other than the most gullible will swallow it.

FSG Out is definitely more a twitter thing than anything else, but twitter is something that is (wrongly) used as a barometer of fan opinion.

I have very little time for FSG but as far as owners go they're nowhere near as bad as what we'd be likely to get in their place. That's modern football. Like everything else in the world it's being ruined by rich cunts. That being said, I'm like Chris in that if they either sell Mo this summer or let him leave for free a year later, that isn't something I could forgive.

• Upvote 3

There were loads in Anfield singing 'you greedy bastards, get out of our club' during the £77 ticket protest. There were even leaflets printed and handed out in that game, certainly in the SKD Upper and Ive no reason to believe they weren't in the other 3 stands.

There were protestors outside Anfield effectively saying the same thing over the Euro League.

A number of posters on here have made clear they want an ownership change. I only see comments from certain poster when he's quoted as I have him on ignore.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

I didn't say anything about paying everyone the same.  I reduced the VVD salary by £100,000 a week in the example I gave.  But it's about the precedent. We pay Salah £400k a week and then try and replace Mane with Bellingham in the summer ad then Bellingham is then saying well I'm worth £250k a week if Salah is £400k

You're worried about precedents and I totally get that, but what kind of precedent is it when you have the world's best player who does not want to leave to go elsewhere (as many of our better players have in the past) but you can't keep hold of him because you won't pay him?

If we don't pay him and let him walk away for nothing, it makes us look like fucking small fry and we don't deserve to be taken seriously. If I was Virgil, Trent, Robbo, Fabinho etc it would seriously make me question whether I should stay. Klopp is the only thing that makes us any different from the shambles we were before he arrived.

When Klopp goes, chances are we're absolutely fucked. So make hay while the sun shines, give Mo what he's asking and let's try and win some more trophies before it all turns to shit again in a few years.

• Upvote 7

How many times do you get to watch probably the best player in the world playing for your team   . Put it this way when he does leave it won't be happening again in my lifetime . If nothing else FSG owe it to the fans. Pay him what he wants  3 year contract.  

Also there will be no jealousy from the other players anyone inside or outside the game knows he is top notch. What's happening at utd different kettle of fish I would looking over my shoulder thinking wtf and demanding more.

4 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

How many times do you get to watch probably the best player in the world playing for your team   . Put it this way when he does leave it won't be happening again in my lifetime . If nothing else FSG owe it to the fans. Pay him what he wants  3 year contract.  

I agree they need to give Mo the contract. It'll cost more to replace him and there's no guarantee the 'new' player would deliver.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Thats a great list for context. We have 2 players that held United to ransom and a third that is only there to sell noodles and used the apparent interest of their closest rivals to turn the screw on them. The actions of the first two (De Gea and Pogba) are the reason a United substitute is able to rinse them for them for 350k per week.

We as a club have largely avoided contracts being negotiated in public since Klopp arrived. We had Gini (which wasn't exactly spiteful), Hendo for about 2 weeks (which was contract lenght rather than salary) and now Mo. That suggests to me that despite the headline figures we pay the going rate, these lads aren't playing for a hundred quid and a Klopp hug. I have already accepted we won't be meeting Mo's demands and I'm comfortable with it. If he wants oil rates then go play for an oil club.  

51 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Incredible that 50% of the top ten are United players, yet its the worst I've ever seen them in my lifetime! 

And we're constantly told the reason we can't compete is oil money. When that list shows that's not the reality. 

35 minutes ago, dave u said:

Ordinarily yeah, but I feel like Mo transcends all that. This isn't Emre Can or even Gini not being paid. We've got the current best player in the world and if we fail to hold onto him despite him not agitating to leave, that's so damning. I don't think they can spin it to a degree that anyone other than the most gullible will swallow it.

FSG Out is definitely more a twitter thing than anything else, but twitter is something that is (wrongly) used as a barometer of fan opinion.

I have very little time for FSG but as far as owners go they're nowhere near as bad as what we'd be likely to get in their place. That's modern football. Like everything else in the world it's being ruined by rich cunts. That being said, I'm like Chris in that if they either sell Mo this summer or let him leave for free a year later, that isn't something I could forgive.

It's started already with the club briefing on the 400k per week. Just give it time, they'll ramp it up, make out Mo cares only for money, how he's undermining everything that klopp does and then off he'll pop without so much as a whimper from anyone other than the people who've been calling them all along. You've just got to read this thread to see how easy it will be. 

19 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I agree they need to give Mo the contract. It'll cost more to replace him and there's no guarantee the 'new' player would deliver.

And the new player would be on 100k plus anyway  so signing fee plus wages versus paying player at top of his game and a massive contributer to past and future success,  the going rate ? No brainer for me . 

• Upvote 1

If we let the best player in the world go because we won't pay him what he wants (which will be at most parity with other top players) then FSG can fucking swing. We are going back into that trap of our biggest signing of the summer being to keep one of our best players. Get it fucking sorted then throw your dicks on the table and bid for Bellingham and Haaland you fucking yacht nonce. 

They are just shithouses. They are all over deals like Elliot, Gordon and possibly that Carvalho lad at Fulham because they'll jump at the chance of working under Klopp at Liverpool. 

The owners tell the world about how big a brand we are, how great we are at creating revenue, have worldwide support, they are straight in when there's extra tv money, Super League or ticket price hikes but then want it all on the cheap. We're constantly told we spend what we earn and we make the most in tv revenue, make deals and expand the main stand to create more revenue but it never makes any fucking difference to our mingebag, almost dislike of signing players.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

You're worried about precedents and I totally get that, but what kind of precedent is it when you have the world's best player who does not want to leave to go elsewhere (as many of our better players have in the past) but you can't keep hold of him because you won't pay him?

If we don't pay him and let him walk away for nothing, it makes us look like fucking small fry and we don't deserve to be taken seriously. If I was Virgil, Trent, Robbo, Fabinho etc it would seriously make me question whether I should stay. Klopp is the only thing that makes us any different from the shambles we were before he arrived.

When Klopp goes, chances are we're absolutely fucked. So make hay while the sun shines, give Mo what he's asking and let's try and win some more trophies before it all turns to shit again in a few years.

So would you give him the £400k a week contract if that's what he's asked for?

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

That we’re not an elite club. In that scenario, I’d suggest no-one should think for a second that the likes of Van Dijk, Fabinho and Alisson wouldn’t have their heads turned by interest from more ambitious sides if we’ve shown we’re not one, and who could blame them?

How does not agreeing on wages with a player make you not an elite club? I don't see the relevance. This seems to be a concerted decision from the club, it's not like Salah wants to leave. It's actually the opposite. Elite clubs stick to their convictions or find a reasonable solution, but they don't just cow tow to public pressure and do stuff because fans want them to. van Dijk, Fabinho and Alisson decided to actually sign new deals, they're not very relevant here. 

I think in a vacuum not paying Salah would be a mistake, not even because we should aim to keep a player as good as him, but because I think if you show you're willing to reward a player as a club with a massive salary, it's attractive to other players. But the justification for not paying him is also clear; for a club like ourselves, committing to paying someone 400k per week until he's 34 is really tough to swallow. It's not a surprise this is taking forever to resolve. I mean, look at that list of highest paid players in the league on this page. Maybe two of them are worth it? This isn't as simple as "pay the man whatever he wants". 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

So would you give him the £400k a week contract if that's what he's asked for?

Absolutely 20 mil a year for three years current best player in world, rarely injured and great attitude. Zero risk contract extension . FFS we gave Lalana an extra year at 100k plus (I think) and he was contributing nothing . No-one was on here saying he wasn't worth it . Mo worth every penny he has been a joy to watch since he came here. 

• Upvote 1

He is obviously asking crazy money because he is already being paid crazy money. If he wanted to be here so much he would just sign a contract for the same as he's already on. As Klopp hinted the key word here is probably 'agent' and those fuckers are helping to ruin football. I wish Shankly,Stein and Clough could come back as flesh eating zombies that feed on football agents and digest the fuckin lot of them. As for Salah,if you're not happy on over 300k a week then you never will be and I dont have any real sympathy for your 'plight.'

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Absolutely 20 mil a year for three years current best player in world, rarely injured and great attitude. Zero risk contract extension . FFS we gave Lalana an extra year at 100k plus (I think) and he was contributing nothing . No-one was on here saying he wasn't worth it . Mo worth every penny he has been a joy to watch since he came here. 

It's 5 years he wants isn't it?