You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

41 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I think this will be the line for most fans though.

Unless they're planning on bringing in Mbappe on a free for moneyball reasons then there's nothing clever about allowing Salah to leave. 

I don't think it's clever. But I think we have a fan base that wants to believe our owners are as committed to the team as we are and while klopp keeps us stable, they will continue to get away with pretty much whatever they want on the playing side. They learnt this very early when they sacked Kenny and within months had then fucked over Rodgers and they needed to post apology letters. 

I think the plan is to sell him to PSG in the summer with Bellingham and Saka coming in. Both young players with world-class potential. FSG could justify the fees by saying they have their whole careers ahead of them. I don't agree with it, but that's what I think the play is.

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

I think the plan is to sell him to PSG in the summer with Bellingham and Saka coming in. Both young players with world-class potential. FSG could justify the fees by saying they have their whole careers ahead of them. I don't agree with it, but that's what I think the play is.

Whats the play for replacing his goals, anyone know? And I highly doubt saka comes as arsenal are under no pressure to sell. 

Just now, Freddo said:

Whats the play for replacing his goals, anyone know? And I highly doubt saka comes as arsenal are under no pressure to sell. 

I'm trying to put myself in FSG's headspace. I don't think they care about replacing his goals. They only care about getting top 4 to keep the money coming in. 

9 minutes ago, Boss said:

I'm trying to put myself in FSG's headspace. I don't think they care about replacing his goals. They only care about getting top 4 to keep the money coming in. 

No one will agree with it but the headspace would be pretty clear.

I hate the Red Sox analogies and comparisons usually, but it would be somewhat similar to them trading Mookie Betts, one of the best players in baseball and fan favourite; making an incredibly unpopular decision because you don't want to pay him world class money and give him a long contract, for whatever reason, age concerns, whatever, so you let him leave and get replacements (in the case of Betts, players in the trade, in the case of Salah, a transfer fee for new players to help a kind of rebuild or squad retool).

The main difference would be it was reported Betts may not have loved Boston and wouldn't have minded leaving. Salah has said a bunch of times he wants to stay.

This is all assuming Salah is sold, of course.

14 hours ago, Boss said:

Can't see it myself. 

Problem with that is all you get for Salah with one year left on his contract is £50m. Or PSG can wait til the following January, have him sign a pre contract and get him for nowt the following summer. 

If we get Saka and Bellingham to replace him, that's an outlay of what, £150m? Plus a combined wage of what, £400k a week at least? Doesn't make any financial sense whatsoever. The only sensible thing to do is pay Mo his £400k and sign him up on a 4 to 5 year deal. That's £104m over 5 years as opposed to £250m with the other option. 

42 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Can't see it myself. 

Problem with that is all you get for Salah with one year left on his contract is £50m. Or PSG can wait til the following January, have him sign a pre contract and get him for nowt the following summer. 

If we get Saka and Bellingham to replace him, that's an outlay of what, £150m? Plus a combined wage of what, £400k a week at least? Doesn't make any financial sense whatsoever. The only sensible thing to do is pay Mo his £400k and sign him up on a 4 to 5 year deal. That's £104m over 5 years as opposed to £250m with the other option. 

surely if PSG lose mbappe in the summer they will be desperate to make a statement signing?

It's a really damning indictment that it looks like we still can't keep our best player as well as adding the best quality young players.  Recent European and League champions, with our profile, standing and fanbase, still selling to buy. 

17 hours ago, Boss said:

Never really seen Bellingham play but Ive seen enough of Saka to know he'd be bench material pretty swiftly 

• Upvote 1

The big difference to the days of losing our star men like Torres/Suarez etc is the rest of the current team and manager are all top drawer. Massive risk of unsettling alot of very good players by selling your prized asset.

Torres and Suarez both looked at other suitors as having vastly superior players, which was indeed the case.

Salah knows that leaving this team is a sideways step at best and I just get the impression that he doesnt want the elevated status of being a mega money signing playing under pressure           

Has any player Klopp’s got rid of gone on to flourish? Lovren maybe. Does anyone else think Mo would flop at most other places? Only team I think he’d continue being a class act at is City and that will never happen. FSG need to be careful but so does Mo, Liverpool under Klopp could be as good as it gets as a footballer for him.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

Has any player Klopp’s got rid of gone on to flourish? Lovren maybe. Does anyone else think Mo would flop at most other places? Only team I think he’d continue being a class act at is City and that will never happen. FSG need to be careful but so does Mo, Liverpool under Klopp could be as good as it gets as a footballer for him.

Thats my thoughts also.

Its the first time in decades we could say that to a star player. 

11 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

Klopp has a touch of Clough about him where players leave and are nowhere near the players they were while under his tutelage. We are a team who perform far greater than the sum of our parts. Salah may be a large part of this? He's certainly half the player while playing with Egyptian Sunday League players at national level.

I think only Trent , Fab and Virgil would continue

to operate at the same level as they are under Klopp at any other club. The rest are great players but it's the boss and his system that has gotten the performance levels from them. Gini, Coutinho, Goetz, Hummels, Aubameyang, Mykataryin, Sahin and Lewandowski where all considered great players but couldn’t reproduce that form elsewhere bar the obvious one. Salah is a brilliant player but the system is built to suit him, no other club that can afford him will do that.

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

Salah is a brilliant player but the system is built to suit him, no other club that can afford him will do that.

Personally I think he'd flourish anywhere, but clearly he wants to stay with us in a way that Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho and (almost) Gerrard didn't at various times. Klopp, a title and a European Cup have obviously helped in this case. 

If Mo was to move on at some point in the future to try something different, surely it would only be to Real Madrid or, less likely, Bayern (Italian clubs don't enter the equation as they'd try to pay £1.5m and eight Freddo bars). He or anybody else can only earn so much money. Does any elite footballer with their head screwed on properly actually dream of playing for PSG?

Liverpool FC fans have spoken of their 'disappointment' after photos of Mo Salah published in GQ magazine prompted a flurry of homophobic abuse online.

The Reds striker paired up with fashion powerhouse British GQ to be their first February cover star.

GQ's profile piece explored Salah's career and also referenced his wife Magi Sadeq and two young daughters Makka and Kayan.

The feature, which praised 29 year old Salah as "the king of football", was accompanied by a number of photos showing the Egyptian player in Adidas sportswear.
However, when Bleacher Report Football reposted the photos to their 11 million followers on Instagram, the comments were flooded with homophobic slurs.