You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

21 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I wouldn't take his suggestion that the club's ambition will factor into the decision lightly. If FSG don't show real willingness to significantly improve the squad next summer, I doubt he'll sign.

That's where I am as well. He knows how good he is and seems driven to win. He feels he can do that here he will stay, if not he will leave.

23 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I wouldn't take his suggestion that the club's ambition will factor into the decision lightly. If FSG don't show real willingness to significantly improve the squad next summer, I doubt he'll sign.

Personally, I take Mo's statement to mean he wants some kind of assurance Jurgen will still be manager for the duration (or best part of) his next contract.

But, can Mo honestly think someone like Barcelona are going to win anything major in the next 4 years? He's intimated the money isnt the 'b' all so would he go to PSG to win things? He's played in Italy and knows the score there. Germany with Bayern, who knows? While players love winning things, is being nailed on Bundesliga Champions every season appealling to him?

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Personally, I take Mo's statement to mean he wants some kind of assurance Jurgen will still be manager for the duration (or best part of) his next contract.

But, can Mo honestly think someone like Barcelona are going to win anything major in the next 4 years? He's intimated the money isnt the 'b' all so would he go to PSG to win things? He's played in Italy and knows the score there. Germany with Bayern, who knows? While players love winning things, is being nailed on Bundesliga Champions every season appealling to him?

He didn't rule out playing for another club in England, and we had those bizarre Sterling links at the start of the season, so I wouldn't necessarily assume it would be a big European club. Real Madrid will also always find a way to spend through fair means or foul, and they're miles ahead of Barcelona.

13 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

He didn't rule out playing for another club in England, and we had those bizarre Sterling links at the start of the season, so I wouldn't necessarily assume it would be a big European club. Real Madrid will also always find a way to spend through fair means or foul, and they're miles ahead of Barcelona.

Real want Mbappe first, Haaland second. Im far from convinced Mo would be ok being third pick. And he'd just be another player there, he just needs to ask fatty Hazard.

If he went to city, he's not starting every game and would probably be lucky to play 1 in 3. Personally, I dont think he'd consider another PL club but that's just my view.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Real want Mbappe first, Haaland second. Im far from convinced Mo would be ok being third pick. And he'd just be another player there, he just needs to ask fatty Hazard.

If he went to city, he's not starting every game and would probably be lucky to play 1 in 3. Personally, I dont think he'd consider another PL club but that's just my view.

He walks into any first 11 on the planet mate 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Behave, he’d be one of the first names on the team sheet. I’m not saying it’s nailed on, but until he signs a contract with us I’m officially worried that he might see City as his best move if he wants to win a load of trophies, and he wouldn’t even need to move home.

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Behave, he’d be one of the first names on the team sheet. I’m not saying it’s nailed on, but until he signs a contract with us I’m officially worried that he might see City as his best move if he wants to win a load of trophies, and he wouldn’t even need to move home.

You're mistaking Guardiola's management style with Jurgen's. Im not a pessimist.

42 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

giphy (14).gif

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I don't think Real would even be interested if they get Haaland and Mbappe. Vinicius Junior has been excellent for them this year, so those three would make up their front three for a number of years.  

I don't think he would go to City either. Guardiola is leaving in 2023, so it could be a transitional spell for them once he goes. 

Think he'll stay myself. Fsg aren't daft, so if they aren't prepared to pay him top dollar, then they better have one hell of a plan to appease the fans.

I mean ideally I'd like them to keep Mo, sign Bellingham, sign a right sided Tsimikas who keeps Trent on his toes (love the kid but he's pissing me off lately) and a top quality forward - another Jota signing would be my dream scenario. We spent big in 2018 and it worked well the last few years. Now, we need another big summer.

My dream would be Bellingham and Saka with Mo staying and no significant sales, though I could see Bobby or Sadio being sacrificed if I'm honest. Very unlikely but one of bellingham or saka and I'd be delighted.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Think he'll stay myself. Fsg aren't daft, so if they aren't prepared to pay him top dollar, then they better have one hell of a plan to appease the fans.

I mean ideally I'd like them to keep Mo, sign Bellingham, sign a right sided Tsimikas who keeps Trent on his toes (love the kid but he's pissing me off lately) and a top quality forward - another Jota signing would be my dream scenario. We spent big in 2018 and it worked well the last few years. Now, we need another big summer.

My dream would be Bellingham and Saka with Mo staying and no significant sales, though I could see Bobby or Sadio being sacrificed if I'm honest. Very unlikely but one of bellingham or saka and I'd be delighted.

Good shout there Ronnie. Soz out of rep for the other thread but will be back when juiced up again!

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

i don't think FSG would need a plan to appease the fans. they'll just do some pictures of the new stand and shrug their shoulders in boston. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

i don't think FSG would need a plan to appease the fans. they'll just do some pictures of the new stand and shrug their shoulders in boston. 

Think they have gotten off lightly with Covid Barrington.

Us losing Mo would be all out war with the fans. Can you imagine how volatile it would be in a packed Anfield. However, if they sold Mo for top dollar and invested it in Bellingham, Saka and one or two more top class players, then I think most fans would accept it and get on with it. I wouldn't be happy but seeing us buying two or three of the best young players of their generation would appease me because I could see us trying to build our next great team.

In an ideal world, we do that with Mo. Unfortunately, I just can't see a world where we don't buy that quality of young player without selling an a lister player.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Think they have gotten off lightly with Covid Barrington.

Us losing Mo would be all out war with the fans. Can you imagine how volatile it would be in a packed Anfield. However, if they sold Mo for top dollar and invested it in Bellingham, Saka and one or two more top class players, then I think most fans would accept it and get on with it. I wouldn't be happy but seeing us buying two or three of the best young players of their generation would appease me because I could see us trying to build our next great team.

In an ideal world, we do that with Mo. Unfortunately, I just can't see a world where we don't buy that quality of young player without selling an a lister player.

No matter if he goes for money, if they reinvest or he leaves on a bosman. They'll find a way to drip a narrative about it's all Salah's fault. He's greedy, only cares about money and will just ride it out. As they have pretty much since they've arrived. Our fans will only start reacting once we slip down the league. While klopp holds us around top 4, there will be a collective shrug in Boston and Anfield. I don't see our fans doing or saying a thing aside from the ones who call them out now. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

No matter if he goes for money, if they reinvest or he leaves on a bosman. They'll find a way to drip a narrative about it's all Salah's fault. He's greedy, only cares about money and will just ride it out. As they have pretty much since they've arrived. Our fans will only start reacting once we slip down the league. While klopp holds us around top 4, there will be a collective shrug in Boston and Anfield. I don't see our fans doing or saying a thing aside from the ones who call them out now. 

I think they have done sone good things during their tenure. I think if there was proper fair play in the game, their model would be magnificent for us.

The problem for us is that they primarily exist to make money and success is a lovely bonus for them. For Chelsea, City and Newcastle down the line, it's the opposite order. We bought big in 2018 but we balance the books since then and it's starting to catch up with us. We are where we are because of Jurgen and while I'm fairly sure they will try and replace him with a world class manager or one with that potential, there isn't one manager in the world who could balance the books and compete like he does. We have some proper talents like Kelleher, Tsimikas, Jones and a generational talent in Elliott that has got them out of a pickle because they haven't invested like they should the last few years. 

It beggars belief how we could contemplate letting Mo leave, when the best player in the world is happy here.

I still don't see Mo leaving though. I think it will be another stalwart that will be sacrificed. Sadio to PSG could be something that could happen.