You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

6 hours ago, No2 said:

Was it not you that said Utd are fucked financially? (Apologies if it wasn't). Following their lead on anything is a dangerous game, they have just kept throwing their chips on the table, hence why they are where they are.

I'd happily use Lewandowski, Suarez or Lukaku as barometers for pay but not Neymar, Messi or De Bruyne. 

I've not said Man United are fucked financially. I've said they're badly run as a footballing entity. I've said they're a modern miracle financially. They seem to earn around what we do, yet manage to pay off massive aquisitional debt, while also managing a dividend of a size that would pay for 2 Salah's wages, managing to have 7 players earning more than our top earner and spending hundreds of millions in the transfer market. We sell to buy.

Athletic Madrid have a bunch of players all earning more than anyone at our club. 

You mention lewandowski, according to bild, he's paid 20m per year (euros). 

Even arsenal managed to pay Ozil a salary on a level probably not much below what salah is asking for and they signed that contract years ago. And here in lies the problem imo. I think fsg just look at the likes of him and Sanchez and just go "nah, fuck that, let's tell everyone we're skint". 

4 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Klopp sounds pretty relaxed. 

He sounded pretty much the same when Can and Gini were allowed to run their contracts down too. I don't think it's in klopp's style to undermine his bosses. I think klopp will keep saying it's possible until  Salah's name is on a contract elsewhere, that's just the fella he is. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Boss said:

Do you think it's more to do with Klopp than anything else? Maybe he wants to leave when Klopp does.

I'm pretty sure if he asked for a 2 year extension the club would be well happy with that.  It'll be big wages towards the end of a new contract when he'd be 34-35 that will be the sticking point for the club I would have thought.

4 hours ago, Boss said:

Do you think it's more to do with Klopp than anything else? Maybe he wants to leave when Klopp does.

Honestly, I think the impact of last January's transfer window can't be underestimated. Imagine being in the squad, watching what was happening and thinking "no worries, the January window is almost here for re-enforcements". They'll have all believed they and klopp earnt some help on everything that went before and instead we signed 2 no marks on deadline day and had to dump minamino to make it happen. Fsg showed what they do, that winning isn't that big a deal.

Transfer that logic to knowing klopp will be going, the squad is ageing and you consider to yourself one of the world's best footballers, do you think fsg will do what is required over the next 4 or 5 years in terms.of squad refresh and klopp replacement to keep us at the top? 

These lads (and their agents) aren't stupid. They don't live in a bubble unaware of what is happening elsewhere. And in recent weeks and preceding windows will have seen graphs like the one below, all while a slice of the investment group was sold at a value that valued us at $4bn (with the group at 7.5bn) - from an investment 11 years ago of just £220m. They're seeing their owners growing their wealth while being reluctant to reinvest in the team. It can't not have an impact. 

690-1.jpg

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

No reflection on Alli but Im surprised Jurgen once again overlooked Mo for the armband tonight.

Ali got voted in to the captain's club when Gini left. Trent and Robbo too.

So, after Hendo, Milly, and VVD, it's Trent, then Robbo, then Ali.

Then, it's whoever has been there the longest.

So, Origi would have got it had Ali not played.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/09/jurgen-klopp-reveals-the-3-players-voted-in-liverpool-captain-group/

On 08/12/2021 at 00:28, m0e said:

Ali got voted in to the captain's club when Gini left. Trent and Robbo too.

So, after Hendo, Milly, and VVD, it's Trent, then Robbo, then Ali.

Then, it's whoever has been there the longest.

So, Origi would have got it had Ali not played.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/09/jurgen-klopp-reveals-the-3-players-voted-in-liverpool-captain-group/

I just find it very strange Mo isnt thought of as captain material by the manager and players. He clearly wants to captain the side if Hendo, Milner and van Dijk arent selected to play.

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I just find it very strange Mo isnt thought of as captain material by the manager and players. He clearly wants to captain the side if Hendo, Milner and van Dijk arent selected to play.

His team mates could arguably think he's too single minded to be captain? Too quiet even? Fellow pros tend to know who to have as their leader so I'd tend to trust them and Kloppo.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

His team mates could arguably think he's too single minded to be captain? Too quiet even? Fellow pros tend to know who to have as their leader so I'd tend to trust them and Kloppo.

Could be a positional thing, better for a captain to be further back to be able to view the whole game. 

Could also be an assertiveness thing. I love Mo and I'm sure he'd be a great captain for leading by example, but I've never seen him as the type to get in the faces of opposition players to put them in their place when they're being cunts, or getting in the ear of the ref.

It's possible it's just not his character, or if he was to get involved with things like that it takes his focus away from the game and he doesn't play as well. 

On 07/12/2021 at 04:02, Barrington Womble said:

Honestly, I think the impact of last January's transfer window can't be underestimated. Imagine being in the squad, watching what was happening and thinking "no worries, the January window is almost here for re-enforcements". They'll have all believed they and klopp earnt some help on everything that went before and instead we signed 2 no marks on deadline day and had to dump minamino to make it happen. Fsg showed what they do, that winning isn't that big a deal.

Transfer that logic to knowing klopp will be going, the squad is ageing and you consider to yourself one of the world's best footballers, do you think fsg will do what is required over the next 4 or 5 years in terms.of squad refresh and klopp replacement to keep us at the top? 

These lads (and their agents) aren't stupid. They don't live in a bubble unaware of what is happening elsewhere. And in recent weeks and preceding windows will have seen graphs like the one below, all while a slice of the investment group was sold at a value that valued us at $4bn (with the group at 7.5bn) - from an investment 11 years ago of just £220m. They're seeing their owners growing their wealth while being reluctant to reinvest in the team. It can't not have an impact. 

690-1.jpg

You'd possibly have a point here if he hadn't reiterated multiple times he wants to stay. 

Also, there's no way he gives a fuck about that. Last season is clearly an aberration in the players' minds.

5 hours ago, Aventus said:

Could be a positional thing, better for a captain to be further back to be able to view the whole game. 

Could also be an assertiveness thing. I love Mo and I'm sure he'd be a great captain for leading by example, but I've never seen him as the type to get in the faces of opposition players to put them in their place when they're being cunts, or getting in the ear of the ref.

It's possible it's just not his character, or if he was to get involved with things like that it takes his focus away from the game and he doesn't play as well. 

Just thinking about him getting in people's faces. I don't remember ever a player getting in his face trying to wind him up. I can't even remember a game where he's been targeted and booted off the park come to think of it. Is he that good the can't even give him a boot? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

You'd possibly have a point here if he hadn't reiterated multiple times he wants to stay. 

Also, there's no way he gives a fuck about that. Last season is clearly an aberration in the players' minds.

He wants to stay pending the ambition of the owners, they were his words. If he just wanted to stay, the contract would be signed. There's nothing wrong with him being smart enough to know this is a good place to play football (for a bunch of reasons) and realising the biggest risk to it being a good place to play is FSG and what will happen if/when klopp leaves half way through his new contract. Honestly I think it's shows he and his agent know what most fans say, we're a great team, but we massively punch above the budget provided by fsg. 

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He wants to stay pending the ambition of the owners, they were his words. If he just wanted to stay, the contract would be signed. There's nothing wrong with him being smart enough to know this is a good place to play football (for a bunch of reasons) and realising the biggest risk to it being a good place to play is FSG and what will happen if/when klopp leaves half way through his new contract. Honestly I think it's shows he and his agent know what most fans say, we're a great team, but we massively punch above the budget provided by fsg. 

scary words

37 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Stick the right amount of money on a contract and those problems all go away.