You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Hmmm doesn't sound great.

Barcelona though? 

Well more worryingly he goes on to say he wants to stay in the premier League. He doesn't say he won't sign for one of our competitors in this country. Personally I think this feels like his last throw of the dice to get whatever it is he wants from LFC. I've thought all along if it's not signed within a week or two of the end of the afcon, we're fucked. 

Maybe he's hoping Jurgen gives an undertaking that he'll be staying? Squad investment?

That needs to happen as this group is ageing now albeit still at the top of their games. 

I suppose at least Mo is saying its not all necessarily down to wages. Bottom line though, he wants the club to recognise his worth and probably isn't asking for crazy sums. 

I don't think anyone can say with any form of certainty whether he will or wont sign as things stand. 

Will their be a fans revolt if he doesn't stay on, or he goes for free. Surely the club cannot allow a player like this to go for nothing. 

• Upvote 1

He's talking about FSG's ambition here.

This is not just about his contract, but the contracts needed throughout the squad to keep challenging the oil clubs.

Specially with the Saudi's and Czech's now getting involved.

He's 100% right to demand some assurances.

4 minutes ago, m0e said:

He's talking about FSG's ambition here.

This is not just about his contract, but the contracts needed throughout the squad to keep challenging the oil clubs.

Specially with the Saudi's and Czech's now getting involved.

He's 100% right to demand some assurances.

Where's he mentioned other contracts?

37 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well more worryingly he goes on to say he wants to stay in the premier League. He doesn't say he won't sign for one of our competitors in this country.

This is why I wondered whether those odd Sterling links earlier in the season came courtesy of someone at the club testing the waters to see how his return would be received. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if some genius has a cash + player deal for Salah to City in mind. The cash, of course, will fund a couple of new contracts, a punt on a £10m player and pay off some of the stadium expansion.

57 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

This is why I wondered whether those odd Sterling links earlier in the season came courtesy of someone at the club testing the waters to see how his return would be received. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if some genius has a cash + player deal for Salah to City in mind. The cash, of course, will fund a couple of new contracts, a punt on a £10m player and pay off some of the stadium expansion.

That would be just awful. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

The contract thing is getting tiring. Mane and Firmino's deals are also expiring in 2023, do we get quotes from them seemingly every couple weeks and subtweets from their agents regarding them not having new deals yet? Just shut the fuck up about it. 

That'll be because the club have told them both they're not negotiating yet. This is part of Salah's negotiation. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Where's he mentioned other contracts?

He's implied it here:

“There are things like the ambition of the team and the coach and what he wants to do with the team and the players he wants. These are all important points when making the decision."

• Upvote 1

Just now, m0e said:

He's implied it here:

“There are things like the ambition of the team and the coach and what he wants to do with the team and the players he wants. These are all important points when making the decision."

You've interpreted that to mean what you want it to mean, because objectively it doesn't imply that.

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

How would that help them getting their new deal? 

By putting pressure on the club to start negotiations? There are people who think there will be a fan revolt if Salah isn't extended, ffs. Right now, if an important Liverpool player pipes up about wanting a new contract and are confused why it's not happened yet, they get immediate fan support.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

By putting pressure on the club to start negotiations? There are people who think there will be a fan revolt if Salah isn't extended, ffs. Right now, if an important Liverpool player pipes up about wanting a new contract and are confused why it's not happened yet, they get immediate fan support.

Any pressure on the club would require the fans to give a fuck. I don't think anyone expects us to do a deal for all 3 due to their age. I would imagine 99.9% of fans except (or would want) mane or firmino to be the odd man out. In that situation, I would suggest neither has a terrifically strong hand. For sure mane has more in his favour - he spent less time out of form and hasn't got someone smashing them in in his position right now.

But if we assume (which I don't think is unreasonable), the club wish to retain 2 of them after the summer of 2023 and the club is seeing what the rest of us do, that Salah has to be the main priority, then would mane want to piss off the club (on fact the fans too) by demanding a new contract when he's suffered from poor form for the majority of this calendar year? I would say he knows an offer will come his way in good time because he's ahead of firmino. As for firmino, he's played near the top of his game no more than about 10 times in 2 years. He needs to keep his mouth shut and hope when the other 2 are signed up, the club might find some money to offer him another year - or enjoy his pay day bosman. 

Salah is our main man. He knows it. The fans know it. His agents knows it. The club know it. He has a hand that absolutely none of the other forwards have to play. That's why he can outline what he wants in the press and the others can't. 

30 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You've interpreted that to mean what you want it to mean, because objectively it doesn't imply that.

Well, it either objectively states something or subjectively implies it.

But let's say you can objectively imply something. What do you think it is here?

24 minutes ago, m0e said:

Well, it either objectively states something or subjectively implies it.

But let's say you can objectively imply something. What do you think it is here?

He's simply saying that when clubs make a decision to extend a player or not, they'll do it if they want. Very straightforward statement.

You've somehow read that as if he said "we need to keep our players to compete with oil clubs".

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's simply saying that when clubs make a decision to extend a player or not, they'll do it if they want. Very straightforward statement.

You've somehow read that as if he said "we need to keep our players to compete with oil clubs".

What does that have to do with the "coach and the players he wants to bring" ?

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

What does that have to do with the "coach and the players he wants to bring" ?

The quote is; "coach and the players he wants". The context is, he says "there are not just financial considerations" (when a club decides to re-sign a player).

All he's saying is; the coach wanting you still is a factor in a club re-signing a player. Yeah, no shit. 

I don't get what there is to imply. It's all very obvious stuff. There's nothing about "other contracts" in there.