You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

31 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

How does waiting 6 months save on the wages when we are just extending his contract? It doesn’t necessarily mean the wages would go up from the exact date he signed it.

My understanding is that is exactly what happens, they rip up the old contract and put them on a new one. I am pretty sure many players who sign midseason get their deals back dated to the start of the year (June or July 1st?)

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

My understanding is that is exactly what happens, they rip up the old contract and put them on a new one. I am pretty sure many players who sign midseason get their deals back dated to the start of the year (June or July 1st?)

That would make sense as to why his agent is making so much noise right now .

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I would have thought you could put any date you want for a change in wages on it right?

You could say, new pay rate starts right now, you could back date it, or you could have an extension with wages going up after 2 years.

Unless there is some specific football thing which mean contracts all have to run from a set date?

3 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

That would make sense as to why his agent is making so much noise right now .

Well I think it's pretty normal for senior players to be renewed 2 years before their contract runs out. He's kicking up a noise because it hasn't been done and it's his job. I'd be more concerned if he didn't kick up a fuss as it would suggest Mo had already had his head turned elsewhere. 

Just now, Jose Jones said:

I would have thought you could put any date you want for a change in wages on it right?

You could say, new pay rate starts right now, you could back date it, or you could have an extension with wages going up after 2 years.

Unless there is some specific football thing which mean contracts all have to run from a set date?

Of course you can put any date on, but i don't think that's ever the negotiation. It's why letting him go on a bosman (from a financial position) makes a lot of sense for fsg. They get the world's best player for 2 years on his 200/220k  basic and that probably saves them 20m instead of renewing him now and removes another 40m commitment for years 3 and 4 where with his age he might have dropped form wise. And if he leaves, they're losing a 31 year old and it gives them time to work on a replacement. 

I'm not saying that's what I'd do, I'm just saying that's where I think fsg's head probably is. As it stands now (assuming the whole of this year's salary), they're committed to around 20m. A new contract commits them to 80m. It could also just be they really don't want to pay 1 player that much. But I suspect it's about that 60m additional risk on an aging player. 

5 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

This is the right interpretation but I think in reality the new contract is set up so the new pay rate comes into effect immediately.

The only thing about all English football contracts have in common is the end date, which I believe is always 30 June.

On 24/10/2021 at 13:20, 3 Stacks said:

Who cares what Man United pay their players? Since when do we compare each other to them financially? 

Also, I'm now of the opinion this 400k per week demand is complete nonsense, as good as Salah is. Why does he deserve so much more than van Dijk, say? They're similarly tenured players. van Dijk comes in, we start winning trophies, he gets injured last season, Salah plays every game and we struggle to finish in the Champions League places. How is Salah worth so much more than Virgil? If I were him, I'd ask myself that. At a club like Liverpool, does one player deserve to be making 100k plus more than the next highest paid player, who is a similar level of player? No, of course not. It's silliness.

Salah knows what club he's at. If he wants those kinds of wages, he's indirectly saying come get me whoever gives these kinds of salaries out. But again, if you say you want to stay and you play at the level he's playing at currently, no one will ask any questions about it and everyone will be on his side. 

Van Dijk is a great player but his injury did not derail our season last year. Even when Gomez joined him on the injury list and we were left with Matip and Fabinho at CB we won 6 and drew 3 in his absence. When Matip went off injured against West Brom and the whole season fell apart, we were top of the league with 31 points from 14 games, on course for 84 points. 

For the record City won the league with 86 points. 

If Salah was injured for a season I don't think we would compete for a title. 

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, that'll be why his agent has been pounding the press. Because the deal is done. I'm glad LFC deal have their finger on the pulse. 

Maybe it's a smokescreen to make PSG stand a chance of getting Salah. Mbappe goes to Liverpool, they have first refusal on Salah. Bingo!