You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's a club we're playing this afternoon who are not an oil club, are servicing aquisitional debt and pay an enormous dividend to shareholders who are probably bigger cunts than our overlords in Boston. They are managing to pay significant wages as we see below. We have most of our squad secured on long term deals aside from our "front 3" all on wages below what we can see there - with the posible exception ov vvd and Salah himself earning maybe more than rashford. If you don't think we can afford a 400k salary for one player who is a genuine world talent, probanly the best in the world right now, then you are kidding yourself. Of course we can afford it. If we don't l, it's because we don't want to afford it. 

Screenshot_20211024-130325.jpg

Who cares what Man United pay their players? Since when do we compare each other to them financially? 

Also, I'm now of the opinion this 400k per week demand is complete nonsense, as good as Salah is. Why does he deserve so much more than van Dijk, say? They're similarly tenured players. van Dijk comes in, we start winning trophies, he gets injured last season, Salah plays every game and we struggle to finish in the Champions League places. How is Salah worth so much more than Virgil? If I were him, I'd ask myself that. At a club like Liverpool, does one player deserve to be making 100k plus more than the next highest paid player, who is a similar level of player? No, of course not. It's silliness.

Salah knows what club he's at. If he wants those kinds of wages, he's indirectly saying come get me whoever gives these kinds of salaries out. But again, if you say you want to stay and you play at the level he's playing at currently, no one will ask any questions about it and everyone will be on his side. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Who cares what Man United pay their players? Since when do we compare each other to them financially? 

Also, I'm now of the opinion this 400k per week demand is complete nonsense, as good as Salah is. Why does he deserve so much more than van Dijk, say? They're similarly tenured players. van Dijk comes in, we start winning trophies, he gets injured last season, Salah plays every game and we struggle to finish in the Champions League places. How is Salah worth so much more than Virgil? If I were him, I'd ask myself that. At a club like Liverpool, does one player deserve to be making 100k plus more than the next highest paid player, who is a similar level of player? No, of course not. It's silliness.

Salah knows what club he's at. If he wants those kinds of wages, he's indirectly saying come get me whoever gives these kinds of salaries out. But again, if you say you want to stay and you play at the level he's playing at currently, no one will ask any questions about it and everyone will be on his side. 

We do compare financially to Manchester united. In fact when you subtract dividend and leveraged loan repayments, we are in a better financial position. 

So the real thing here is it's not you don't think it's the clubs choice, you just don't think the club should offer 400k per week. Which is fair enough. I can understand why you would think that..I can understand why fsg would think that. I just think you'd both be wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We do compare financially to Manchester united. In fact when you subtract dividend and leveraged loan repayments, we are in a better financial position. 

So the real thing here is it's not you don't think it's the clubs choice, you just don't think the club should offer 400k per week. Which is fair enough. I can understand why you would think that..I can understand why fsg would think that. I just think you'd both be wrong. 

Yes, I think the demands are a bit stupid. I do want him to stay, though. 

Virgil van Dijk
£220,000
£11,440,000
Mohamed Salah
£200,000
£10,400,000
Thiago Alcantara
£200,000
£10,400,000
Trent Alexander-Arnold
£180,000
£9,360,000
Roberto Firmino
£180,000
£9,360,000
Fabinho
£180,000
£9,360,000
Alisson Becker
£150,000
£7,800,000
Jordan Henderson
£140,000
£7,280,000
James Milner
£140,000
£7,280,000
Naby Keita
£120,000
£6,240,000
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
£120,000
£6,240,000
Andy Robertson
£100,000
£5,200,000
Sadio Mane
£100,000
£5,200,000
Joel Matip
£100,000
£5,200,000
Diogo Jota
£90,000
£4,680,000
Joe Gomez
£90,000
£3,900,000
Ibrahima Konate
£90,000
£3,900,000
Ben Davies
£60,000
£3,120,000
Kostas Tsimikas
£60,000
£3,120,000
Takumi Minamino
£60,000
£3,120,000
Divock Origi
£60,000
£3,120,000
Adrian
£50,000
£2,600,000
Neco Williams
£25,000
£1,300,000
Caoimhin Kelleher
£15,000
£780,000
Curtis Jones
£15,000
£780,000
Harvey Elliott
£15,000
£780,000

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

His demands will (justifiably) be going up each day at this rate. Were the club hoping for the opposite? 

Also makes it much harder to not sign him up without a massive backlash. If he wants 500k per week and the Manchester clubs or Chelsea are willing to pay it, we have no choice. If you’re Van Dijk or Alisson and you see you FSG willing to let the best player in the world go because they’re too tight to pay his wages, you’d be doing yourself a disservice not to have your agent on the lookout for a top club to move to.

1. Theres no better player on the planet right now. 

2. If we "give in" to huge wage demands, we will be criticised.

3. If we dont pay him to stay, we will be criticised.

Bearing in mind Point 1, when you get a once in a lifetime talent just give him the fucking dough, he is, at this point, irreplaceable. Business models are all well in good when what you are dealing with is uniform, but Salah is exceptional so the business model is only a guide. If other players get pissed off and think they should get the same then theycan perform to his level.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, redinblack said:

Bearing in mind Point 1, when you get a once in a lifetime talent just give him the fucking dough, he is, at this point, irreplaceable. Business models are all well in good when what you are dealing with is uniform, but Salah is exceptional so the business model is only a guide. If other players get pissed off and think they should get the same then theycan perform to his level.

Yep.

16 hours ago, johnsusername said:

His demands will (justifiably) be going up each day at this rate. Were the club hoping for the opposite? 

That would assume they would be hoping he's deteriorating at a rapid pace, would they want that?

I don't really see that the goal of the club is at this point. I suspect it might be to let him just run his contract out. They get the best player in the world for 2 years at 200k per week and hope they stumble across a low cost replacement. We have some work to do with mane and firmino also out of contract at the same time. 

According to BBC Gossip and some organ called Football Insider, Mo's agent wants a deal for him of 500k a week.

The Echo keeps saying he's not asking that much but, seeing as everyone is saying he's the best in the world right now and every performance seems worthy of another 50k a week more, Im not sure he's going to settle for less than 400k!

Get it done now. Don't wait until the summer when his head is turned by one of the oil clubs. Negotiate him down a bit (on his wage demands) and get him signed to a four-year deal. He'll be amazing at 33 years old anyway. It's not like he drinks or abuses his body. If anything he'll only get better. Lewandowski is 33 and he's scored 17 goals in 13 games this season. 

It's bollocks to say the club cant afford to pay him 400k a week. Almost every year, we hear the club delightfully announce new deals and an increase in revenue.

Cant believe some are taking FSG's side on this. They are already stingy enough as it is. The players are the ones who do the job and give sweat, blood and tears. It's much better that significant portions of extra revenue ends up in a player's pocket rather than in a billionaire's bank account.

• Upvote 5

Pay Salah what he is worth. None of us would ever be happy seeing someone else in a different company doing less than what do, while earning twice our wages. He is well within his rights to ask for a significant pay rise. Why should he have to worry if his teammates get pissed off? In fact, they wont even get pissed off. They would be well made up to have him in the squad for the next 4 years.

On 25/10/2021 at 09:04, redinblack said:

By whom? There are only a handful of members here who complain that our wages are too high. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

By whom? There are only a handful of members here who complain that our wages are too high. 

All,or most,top level footballers wages are way too high. Just look at some of the areas around football grounds and you'll see how out of kilter wages are with ordinary people's incomes. It's quite incredible that the average football fan,most are lucky if they earn in a year what an average player earns in a week,have become so blase when talking about footballer's wages.

38 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

All,or most,top level footballers wages are way too high. Just look at some of the areas around football grounds and you'll see how out of kilter wages are with ordinary people's incomes. It's quite incredible that the average football fan,most are lucky if they earn in a year what an average player earns in a week,have become so blase when talking about footballer's wages.

These aren’t ordinary people though. PL footballers are the creme de la creme in their profession. The fans pump money into the game and I’d rather it go the players than the owners.

• Upvote 3

I could easily see this dragging into next summer. No way will FSG get knee jerked into shelling out 4/500 k pw at this stage. Waiting 6 months is going to save them millions on his wages and they can take a holistic view of the team for next season and review this one.  If he's still in the same form in 6 months time then he'll get his deal imo if not then who knows. Now ,with him pulling up trees week in week out, isn't probably the best time to strike a deal which is probably why there is so much noise coming from Mo and his agent.