You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Fair argument. But I will add that although Mo bangs the goals in like nobody's business,without VVD and Alisson and others,Mo's contribution would mean little. I mean,people love Fowler and he was a goal machine but during his prime we were so shit at the back that we won little more than a couple of trophies. Players come,players go but the club and fans stay. 

Yeah I agree and dont think we're millions of miles apart.

Take Wijnaldum. He clearly wanted a far bigger wedge to stay. Might have been £150k a week, may have been £200k a week. The club decided he wasnt worth that but still offered him a better contract than he was on.

They wouldnt go higher, basically he wasnt a 'match winner' so they let him go.

Im presuming the club does see Mo as a match winner so will offer him a wedge they see as commensurate with that. That might be £350k a week, a bit more or a bit less depending on what the club's model can afford.

I think Mo is well worth £350k a week given those on similar at other clubs.

Depending on the club's increased income from Nike, tv and other sponsorship, we'll likely be able to accommodate 3 or 4 players on those £350k a week levels. If we cannot, the players wanting those wages will be moved on.

But like Ive said all along, I want the club to be self sustaining and our model is built to achieve that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Forbes:

Liverpool player Mo Salah is among the top-earning football players this season, with a total income of US$25 million. Photo: Reuters

Salary: US$25 million

Endorsements: US$16 million

That would be near 500k a week as it stands.

I read in a French sports paper Mo was the fifht highest earner after Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and Iniesta. No idea whether it’s true …

2 hours ago, Arnaud said:

I read in a French sports paper Mo was the fifht highest earner after Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and Iniesta. No idea whether it’s true …

I’d be amazed if he’s on more than Pogba and de Gea, that’s 2 fucking bums at United he’ll be on less money than. 

Can’t believe that 5th highest earner claim. 

3 hours ago, Arnaud said:

That is what Forbes said, except it is M'bappe in 4th instead of Iniesta.

Iniesta is number 7 on the list overall - his wages are 4th.

Would imagine Forbes was their source.

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

I’d be amazed if he’s on more than Pogba and de Gea, that’s 2 fucking bums at United he’ll be on less money than. 

Can’t believe that 5th highest earner claim. 

Take it up with Forbes. He is. This was published within the last week.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2021/09/21/the-worlds-highest-paid-soccer-players-2021--uniteds-cristiano-ronaldo-reclaims-top-spot-from-psgs--lionel-messi/?sh=63957e483b7b

46 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

That's probably including his Sponsorship money and other endorsements

It is - his wages are 25m a year and his endorsements are 16m a year. So he trousers just under 500k a week in wages.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Einch said:

That would = £350k per week right now as the Forbes article is in US $. I thought Virgil was the highest paid player at the club. 

Virgil currently is. Forbes and the rest arent definitive because player wages arent in the public domain. So they guess what a player is on but people seem to put great weight on the guesses.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2021/09/21/the-worlds-highest-paid-soccer-players-2021--uniteds-cristiano-ronaldo-reclaims-top-spot-from-psgs--lionel-messi/?sh=63957e483b7b

It is - his wages are 25m a year and his endorsements are 16m a year. So he trousers just under 500k a week in wages.

Yep, you’re right ! 

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

That US$? 

On 27/09/2021 at 20:12, VladimirIlyich said:

Do you want owners such as Abramovich or human rites abusers at City and PSG as that's the only way you can do that nowadays? We have very rich owners and very rich players and I think they all have too much and it has to stop somewhere. I'd like to think it will happen soon. I dont disagree that top players should be paid well either but they are getting paid more than cardiac surgeons and some of the best paid medical minds in the world. Its just ludicrous and has to stop. And fans are the people who can do this yet want players paid more and more. It cant add up.

I don't think it is helpful to the conversation comparing footballer to surgeons etc. It's never going to be the case all jobs are paid in their "human" worth. The same argument could be made for a commodities trader like our man JWH once was or TV exec's like Tom Werner. They earned more in their previous day jobs too, which has allowed them to become owners of a sporting enterprise where fellas ask for 500k per week or whatever Mo is supposed to be asking for.

The bottom line is, if we can reach a compromise salary with Mo, he will be amazingly well paid and if we can't, he will be able to test his market value elsewhere and he's likely to get tons more elsewhere, especially if he goes free at the end of next season. Where we should "stop" - the reality there is FSG will clearly have a number but that'll be more than any cardiac surgeon for sure. It would be unreasonable not to expect Mo to be our best paid player. But in the interests of everything that has gone before with the wage structure, it would be a shock to see him on more than 20% more than anyone else at the club. Players like VVD have put down a marker for FSG and I don't think it is too unreasonable to stick with that. Equally, while players like Sancho are pocketing 300+ per week - you can see Mo's point he's worth more. 

It really feels to me Mo wants to stay. It's hard to believe there's not a compromise in there - but I reckon if it is not sorted by early next year, he will be ready to pack his bags and move on at the end of his contract. 

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't know, does it matter? The club structure deals that way.

The Forbes link is in this thread. They have wages as 350k a week. So any new deal will be another 100?

Well it might matter. Salah might think he's done enough for him to be paid a less bonus driven contract. He's certainly worth a raise, but that balance between basic and bonus could be a deciding factor. All other source I've seen suggest he's on 200-220k, which i guess we can assume is his basic if Forbes 350k is correct. So he's hitting a bonus of about 60-80%. But perhaps last season he didn't get 350k at all because we won nothing. What if he asks for 350 but reduces his bonus to 30%? What if he wants 350 but wants the same bonus levels?

It's clearly going to be complicated. The market (including the new salaries the club have given others) say he should be in line to get more than now. But how do you define how much. And at his age, how long? With my fan eyes he looks like a lad who has years in him. But it doesn't mean the club with some actual analysis might think differently. I can see why he'd want 5 years at a big lift from now. I can see why the club might choose to offer him maybe 2 more than he has now and a maybe 20% lift like vvd is reported to have had.