You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

14 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

You just know Liverpool are going to get hammered for this, whilst other clubs say little or nothing. 

They will then happily benefit from whatever Liverpool manage to achieve, or absolve themselves from any blame should that be required. 

Maybe. Maybe not. We'd just better win our next match. 

32 minutes ago, M_B said:

No chance of that, but his negotiating position isn't that strong so I doubt it's true. He has 2 years left on his contract which would make him 31 when it expires.

Mo will play as late as Ronaldo. 

No issues with him asking for 500k. He won't get it. And imo, neither should he. I'm all in for us paying market rates, but he's only got a small number of clubs who'll pay that and it'll need a free for him to get it, nobody will pay that with a fee. 

With his age and where the market is, 4 years at 300k (plus some bonuses) would seem about right to me. 

30 minutes ago, M_B said:

No chance of that, but his negotiating position isn't that strong so I doubt it's true. He has 2 years left on his contract which would make him 31 when it expires.

How is his negotiating position not that strong? If he doesn't sign a new contract by next summer, we either have to try and cash in or allow him to go on a free in 2023. Messi is due to leave PSG in 2023, so Salah could be lined up as his replacement. They would easily offer him 500k a week. 

There were stories a few weeks ago that we were preparing to offer him £230k a week, but I knew that wouldn't be anywhere near enough. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Mo will play as late as Ronaldo. 

No issues with him asking for 500k. He won't get it. And imo, neither should he. I'm all in for us paying market rates, but he's only got a small number of clubs who'll pay that and it'll need a free for him to get it, nobody will pay that with a fee. 

With his age and where the market is, 4 years at 300k (plus some bonuses) would seem about right to me. 

I think we would need to go as high as 400k a week to keep him. That would put him on a par with De Bruyne.

The likes of Sancho and De Gea earn 350 to 375k a week, I don't see Salah settling for any less than that. 

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Who would pay big money for him though with a year left on his contract? PSG maybe to replace Mbappe? Can't see any other clubs coming in for him?

Yeah i'd imagine it would be PSG as you say to replace Mbappe...maybe could even happen in Jan...it would be suicidal of us IMO, but i could see it happening if he wants that much (i don't believe he does) and if Real Madrid go back for Mbappe.

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

How is his negotiating position not that strong? If he doesn't sign a new contract by next summer, we either have to try and cash in or allow him to go on a free in 2023. Messi is due to leave PSG in 2023, so Salah could be lined up as his replacement. They would easily offer him 500k a week. 

There were stories a few weeks ago that we were preparing to offer him £230k a week, but I knew that wouldn't be anywhere near enough. 

We simply wont pay him that, which means he has to gamble that at 31 years of age PSG will pay him 500k a week, cause nobody else will. PSG could well have someone else for that position then.

My bet is he signs a new contract for 250k

On principle, all footballers can fuck off if they want £500k a week.  

I'm comfortable with the carousel of life, if you want insane money then you need to go to PSG, Madrid, Barca, City, United or Chelsea.  We get your best years, they get the bin ends for twice the wages.  

Salah's agent seems like a complete cunt btw, so none of this is a shock, and I wonder how some of his teammates will feel about his outrageous demands after most having signed for reasonable wages. 

Sell him this January. Bank the money.  

As far as the age thing, He will only be 31. He could still have another 4 or 5 years left at the very top, he doesn't drink alcohol and is in excellent physical shape. There's no reason why he couldn't do a Ronaldo, Suarez or Messi and keep performing at a similar level to how he is currently. The obvious issue will be as he starts to lose his pace. 

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

We just gave Virgil £220k a week, I think, so Mo was always going to ask for at least £250k.

I really cannot see the club being willing to play roulette on his transfer value. The way the transfer system works is next summer, 12 months from now, one of Real, PSG or even chelsea, could make a low ball offer for him with both Real and PSG aware they could off him a pre contract in a further 6 months after that.

If these reports are true, I suspect it's Mo's agent being a twat after his cryptic tweets of the full stop and 'I hope they're watching' and looking for a huge wedge.

I could see Liverpool going to £300k a week but beyond that, Id say all bets are off as could be Mo!

Obviously it should be taken with a massive pinch of salt but if that’s anywhere close to being true then he’s basically out of the door already. He knows he’ll get nowhere near that amount here so simply by demanding it he’s saying he wants out. It would be negligent for the club to let him leave for nothing. 

Just how much is ‘enough’ for these people? Isn’t a million pounds a month enough?

31 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Obviously it should be taken with a massive pinch of salt but if that’s anywhere close to being true then he’s basically out of the door already. He knows he’ll get nowhere near that amount here so simply by demanding it he’s saying he wants out. It would be negligent for the club to let him leave for nothing. 

Just how much is ‘enough’ for these people? Isn’t a million pounds a month enough?

The only constant is change. Like most workers, footballers seem to want to just move on. I guess you become nomadic from the first successful professional start. Ofc families need to be happy too, not just the player. Is Mo’s family happy on Merseyside?

Can anyone blame him though. 

He's seeing playing not at his level earning far more. Of course he's going to want a lot. Word is when Chelsea talked to Haaland agent they wanted around 800k a week. Mbappe will probably get close to that if you count the wages and signing fee. 

This was one of the reasons I wanted another attacker brought in so we reduce our reliance / put pressure on Bobby, Mo and Mane as it was very likely that one would be leaving at the end of the season anyway. Would also have given a year for the player to settle under klopp.

I think the wages are insane but if that what his peers are getting then he’ll want parity. I’ll be disappointed if he leaves but it’s life players move on and I’m sure we will adapt. 

9 hours ago, an tha said:

If he really wants that then i'd expect us to sell him next summer.

Yeah, I think this is the takeaway message from that news.

I don't know what the market for him would be like, I'd imagine we'd ask for 100m and PSG or someone would give him 400k/week, maybe? But I'd be very surprised if we went over 300k/week. That's 15m/season, and while he'd be worth it in years one and two, by the time you got to year four and five it's very doubtful he'd be producing at that kind of level. Maybe we could try something unique and get him for 300k/week for the first two years, and then declining after that as he reaches ages 33+, but I'd be surprised if he'd go for that when one of the oil clubs wouldn't ask him to do that.

If his agent really has feelers out there about 500k/week, then he's as good as gone next summer IMO. We will use the money to bring in 2-3 players, hopefully have as good success with that as we did when we sold Coutinho and not the success level we had when we did the same with Suarez leaving.