You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

1 hour ago, Halcyon Days said:

Yep even better than Barnes.

Nah. Barnes was unreal, absolutely unplayable for three seasons and didn't have to resort to any underhand tactics. He also had to put up with a lot more on and off the pitch than Suarez ever did. I'm aware that shouldn't impact their ability as a player, but it's hard to look beyond some of Suarez antics when it comes down to thinking of who is the best ever player we've had. 

If it's down to just ability then it's a definitely a close run thing, but there's a lot more to it than that in being thought of as the best ever.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Nah. Barnes was unreal, absolutely unplayable for three seasons and didn't have to resort to any underhand tactics. He also had to put up with a lot more on and off the pitch than Suarez ever did. I'm aware that shouldn't impact their ability as a player, but it's hard to look beyond some of Suarez antics when it comes down to thinking of who is the best ever player we've had. 

If it's down to just ability then it's a definitely a close run thing, but there's a lot more to it than that in being thought of as the best ever.

Yeah it’s close, Barnes is a great man a legend but when it comes down to durability, raw skill and absolute will to win it has to be the one man army that Luis was.

21 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Better than Ronaldo?

He's the one I was thinking of when I wrote that.

I think he was a better player in his time in the UK than Ronaldo was when he was here. Ronaldo improved a lot at Real Madrid.

Also, having Tevez and Rooney doing all the donkey work, as well as providing phenomenal service, was leagues ahead of anything Suarez had. Even when we did actually have a good team and he wasn't playing upfront with a 12 year old Sterling and 13 year old Suso.

That United side of 2008/2009 was fucking brilliant. 

2 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I reckon Suarez is a better footballer, but Ronaldo's freak athletic ability more than makes up for any deficit in talent (not that there's much).

Agreed, but that freak athletic ability was at its peak between about 27 and 31/32 at Real Madrid. Absurd speed, strength, and jumping ability. Football has never seen anything like it.

8 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

There are loads that have done more for the club, obviously, but Suarez was a better footballer than all of them.

He's arguably the best footballer to have ever played professional football in England.

Imagine if he'd been quick.

But he wasnt and he scored a lot less goals and get fewer assists than Salah do, even if Salah is a winger and Suarez a striker. 

Salah vs Suarez for Liverpool

Salah:

A3341452-7CC8-42B4-A7AE-F2A3AB82EC01.jpeg

Suarez:

8B7B212A-2CEB-41A9-9488-CDBB5B1523F2.jpeg

16 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Did someone say Liverpool's best pound for pound signing?

£33,000. £50 a week salary.

Three leagues, a European cup, two UEFA cups and an FA cup. 

image.png

And then funded the signing of Kenny leaving a 57k profit.

Moneyballing before those Boston fucks had even heard of it.

• Upvote 1

Suarez was banned at least 3 times for playing for Liverpool and missed 12 games for his world cup bite, 10 for biting Ivanovic and 8 was it for his run in with evra. That's 30 games, 8 shy of a full PL season. Fantastic player but a liability.

So no, overall his worth as a player isnt better than Mo. In my opinion.

On 19/02/2021 at 09:50, Supremolad said:

Interesting to see how some of our fans have turned professional body language experts. It is rare to for anyone to be great mates with every single colleague at work. People just continue to look for every bit of nonsense to fan the flames. You want them kissing or what? There were other players who celebrated that goal with Salah with barely a little pat on the back too. And there are times when both have celebrated with each other in a more enthusiastic fashion.

In the same game, both players combined well as they very often do. Salah played a brilliant reverse pass to Mane which only didn't result in a goal because of poor control. They might not be best of mates but they still function well together. 

The players are being told to keep the celebrations tuned down because of covid. Loads of goals aren't being celebrated and loads of players have talked about the impact of VAR is holding them back on celebrating. I don't know why people worry too much about all this kind of thing. 

And as you rightly point out, we have all worked with fellas we're not that keen on anyway. It doesn't stop any of us doing the job or even make us think about changing job. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

The players are being told to keep the celebrations tuned down because of covid. Loads of goals aren't being celebrated and loads of players have talked about the impact of VAR is holding them back on celebrating. I don't know why people worry too much about all this kind of thing. 

And as you rightly point out, we have all worked with fellas we're not that keen on anyway. It doesn't stop any of us doing the job or even make us think about changing job. 

Great to see us making sure we

dont breach the coronavirus guidelines by stopping scoring altogether. 

@Code sit down before reading on.

Salah has been fucking shit, shit against Everton, shit against Brighton, shit against Utd, shit against Burnley and WBA, shit against City. He's been as bad as the others bar West Ham when he played well. He was good at Spurs too but so where the others. At least Manè is involved and working hard when he's shit, Bobby is kicking the ground before shooting but its still more than Salah on his shit days. Salah is just hatching waiting to bump up his numbers. He should be played as a center forward because he's not putting the work in for a winger and is damaging the rest of the side.

By shit I mean I had to check the Burnley and WBA team sheets to confirm if he even played, Brighton would have the same but for the early miss.

18 minutes ago, No2 said:

@Code sit down before reading on.

Salah has been fucking shit, shit against Everton, shit against Brighton, shit against Utd, shit against Burnley and WBA, shit against City. He's been as bad as the others bar West Ham when he played well. He was good at Spurs too but so where the others. At least Manè is involved and working hard when he's shit, Bobby is kicking the ground before shooting but its still more than Salah on his shit days. Salah is just hatching waiting to bump up his numbers. He should be played as a center forward because he's not putting the work in for a winger and is damaging the rest of the side.

By shit I mean I had to check the Burnley and WBA team sheets to confirm if he even played, Brighton would have the same but for the early miss.

Sadio involved and working hard when he's been shit but Mo's been shit, despite scoring goals?! Dont think so mate. Sadio's been stinking the gaff out as much as Bobby.

Mane is more involved and tries hard, but doesn't have the quality to make things happen on his own. Salah can be more transparent, but can score goals out of nothing. That's the tale of their seasons. Right now, you'd rather have Salah any day, to be honest. We'd be in the bottom half of the table without him. 

Rashford scored a goal yesterday where he dribbled past two players and lashed it in after cutting inside. When's the last time Mane did that? We need those types of goals and moments of individual brilliance because we're shit at the moment. Salah at least gives us that possibility. 

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Sadio involved and working hard when he's been shit but Mo's been shit, despite scoring goals?! Dont think so mate. Sadio's been stinking the gaff out as much as Bobby.

They have all been shit, that is my point its just Mo has largely avoided any culpability because he scored more goals than the others. On days when both are shit Sadio is working his bollox off, the fullback knows he's in a game. When Salah is shit Luke Shaw is strolling around thinking he's Paolo Maldini.

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

They have all been shit, that is my point its just Mo has largely avoided any culpability because he scored more goals than the others. On days when both are shit Sadio is working his bollox off, the fullback knows he's in a game. When Salah is shit Luke Shaw is strolling around thinking he's Paolo Maldini.

Mo's the only one out of the front 3 running his bollocks off every game, mate. Love Bobby and Sadio too but they've been absolute pants.

Last season you couldnt knock Sadio off the ball. This season even I could knock him off it. I lost count the number of times he not only lost the ball against the shite but also was knocked off it by a nothing challenge.

Sorry, I cannot agree with you.

• Upvote 3