You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Salah is helplessly one-legged which he, nevertheless, utilised lethally terrorizing defences and scoring for fun. But no more. Defenders have now learnt to get the better of him. He's also helplessly selfish often to the detriment of the team. He would rather the team lose than he passes to Mane. Used to love the guy but I'm done especially after his open flirtations with the Spanish clubs. Move him on in the summer if they come for him for the right price.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Simbo said:

Fucking hell.

There’s a lot of you here who have incredibly short memories.

Any performance/result based individual is only as good as their last and next performances.

38 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Any performance/result based individual is only as good as their last and next performances.

These boys have been incredible for the past 3 years. You can literally count the number of loses on one hand. 

We smashed Palace 7-0 but have now hit a sticky patch of form which has still only resulted in a single loss. 

I’m as disappointed as anyone....we’ve been incredibly frustrating to watch these last 3 games but I’ve seen mention of a rebuild, selling Mo and the Trent thread is also a joy at the moment.

Plenty of teams go through shit patches. City have had theirs and Utd were so bad that there was talk of their manager getting sacked.

We are going to fucking smash Utd next week and then everyone will be back to sucking Mo off again. These boys have earned a bit of patience from the fan base so we need to take a collective deep breath and wait for the inevitable uptick in form.

There’s a conversation to be had about freshening up the front three, surely? As fantastic as they’ve all been for the club, the numbers don’t lie and their collective output is declining.

Salah’s not finished by a long stretch, but he is coming up to 2 years left on his contract and would want mega money to resign. Given that he’s 29 and his best days aren’t ahead of him then it’s pretty logical why some feel that Mo is the most likely to depart. 

• Upvote 2

Imagine if Mane and Firmino actually managed to score once in a while, then Salah did not have to save our ass every game. 

Last four seasons in the PL.

Salah:
86 goals                 

Mane and Firmino together:
97 goals

Logic, lets sell Salah.

Always amazes me, people go on about Mane’s form, question Salah and actually suggest getting rid to freshen up the front 3 whilst Bobby gets off scott free, he’s seemingly untouchable. IF (big IF) there’s any freshening up of the front 3 to be done, I’d rather Bobby be the one to lose. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Always amazes me, people go on about Mane’s form, question Salah and actually suggest getting rid to freshen up the front 3 whilst Bobby gets off scott free, he’s seemingly untouchable. IF (big IF) there’s any freshening up of the front 3 to be done, I’d rather Bobby be the one to lose. 

Bobby's untouchable because he's the reason we play why we play. Klopp has built this side with him as the focal point in the middle of the attack for 5 years. If Klopp ever wants to change the way we play, Bobby would probably come under threat because he's the least productive of the 3. Until then, he's untouchable. 

Plus, people always assume Salah and Mane are most likely to want to leave, and not Bobby. Maybe that's false, but that's the assumption. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Bobby's untouchable because he's the reason we play why we play. Klopp has built this side with him as the focal point in the middle of the attack for 5 years. If Klopp ever wants to change the way we play, Bobby would probably come under threat because he's the least productive of the 3. Until then, he's untouchable. 

Plus, people always assume Salah and Mane are most likely to want to leave, and not Bobby. Maybe that's false, but that's the assumption. 

Maybe the assumption is also that Salah and Mane would be top class in any side while Firmino would probably require a certain set up to get the best out of him. 

13 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Maybe the assumption is also that Salah and Mane would be top class in any side while Firmino would probably require a certain set up to get the best out of him. 

I don't know about that. You could put Firmino next to any prolific wide forward and you've got a working system. He'd be great in the middle of Neymar and Mbappe. Great with Ronaldo, with Messi, etc... He'd work in most top teams. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You've just said the whole system was built around him, then his skills would be transferable to any other system.

I think Jai is correct - he is the least valuable of the three to any other side in the world.

No, I said Klopp stuck him in the middle and then bought two prolific wide forwards to play at his side. Other top teams have quite good wide forwards as well, so he'd work there too. 

52 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No, I said Klopp stuck him in the middle and then bought two prolific wide forwards to play at his side. Other top teams have quite good wide forwards as well, so he'd work there too. 

I believe you are underestimating the way the continent views golas - in Real and Juve you are talking about two places that would boo him off the pitch if he went a handful of games without scoring.

Barca just bombed out the fella who played next to Messi - incredible workrate, golas out the wazoo.

He is in his best place here - and if it is as simple as getting a good wide forward there is really nothing to worry about.

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I believe you are underestimating the way the continent views golas - in Real and Juve you are talking about two places that would boo him off the pitch if he went a handful of games without scoring.

Barca just bombed out the fella who played next to Messi - incredible workrate, golas out the wazoo.

He is in his best place here - and if it is as simple as getting a good wide forward there is really nothing to worry about.

My point was, on paper, Firmino would work on loads of other teams. He's an unselfish facilitator that fits in very well with superstar, selfish, egotistical wide forwards who care about their stats, like Ronaldo, Neymar, etc... as he's basically the opposite of them and does a lot of dirty work, while still having the technical ability to thrive in a big team.

It's no coincidence Klopp decided to make him our focal point and it wouldn't have surprised me if other top teams had felt the same at some point, that's all. I think Salah, Mane and Firmino are all quite valuable in their own way. 

• Downvote 1

Salah isn't indispensable to the way we play. His goalscoring record is very good for us but I feel the team and the way it plays has been more good for him than the other way round. Look at Jota, came from nowhere and just slotted in.

My main gripe with him is that his general play even when we play decent, is woeful. Simple and basic passes are under or over hit and when dribbling he's like a headless chicken. If you look at the the goal he scored in the last CL, he was clean through on goal but his touches were so poor that he almost missed the chance and in fact it was lucky that he did.

He almost never beats his marker, just constantly runs into them and loses possession. He also never seems to be in space. Take Mane last night he wasn't at his best but 2nd half he was at least getting on the ball and tried to be direct by going past the full back, getting into the box etc. Mo on the other hand - when was the last time you saw him with ball at feet and running into the box or to the byline to cross it? He pops up with the odd goal but during the game you never get the feeling like he's a threat.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't know about that. You could put Firmino next to any prolific wide forward and you've got a working system. He'd be great in the middle of Neymar and Mbappe. Great with Ronaldo, with Messi, etc... He'd work in most top teams. 

He would. Our most underrated player, closely followed by Wijnaldum.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

You’ve just picked 4 of the best players in the world. I mean Messi made Pedro look class. Firmino is a decent forward but he needs to score more goals. He’d be the easiest to replace amongst our front three.