You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

8 hours ago, The Guest said:

Every player misses chances.  The difference for me is that when those players went through on goal you had the feeling they would score.  When Mo goes through you assume he’s going to miss.  The way he strikes a ball is so inconsistent and more often than not Shite you can’t be confident with him and it’s what makes him a poor finisher.  He’s shown on quite a few occasions he can hit the ball really well and hard yet it’s far more often that he barely gets any power at all or just completely misses the target.

He’s been part of the greatest team we’ve ever had in my opinion.  He’s still a great footballer.  History will judge him as part of that.  He does loads of work that other players at his level don’t do at other clubs because they clearly think they are above it.  I’d go as far as saying he’s been our best player this season as his all round game has gone up another level.  When the games have been tight lately though his finishing ability is costing us.  Some fanboys can pretend like it’s not happening if they want but it doesn’t change the fact that it is.

Bit harsh, Id say!

Love Mo, but think there is a strong chance we sell him this summer.

Jurgen won't have liked his hissy fit about not being captain and him batting his eyelids at Real and Barca, even though I actually am not sure how arsed he is about leaving. There does seem to be a bit of an issue between him and Sadio as well.

I reckon we could get 150 million for him which covers Sancho and a really good centre half. I don't want him to go, but something like that would not be a bad deal at all. It's certainly one that FSG would like, but they would be weighing up Mo's popularity in the Arab world as well.

11 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Jurgen won't have liked his hissy fit about not being captain and him batting his eyelids at Real and Barca, even though I actually am not sure how arsed he is about leaving. There does seem to be a bit of an issue between him and Sadio as well.

I reckon we could get 150 million for him which covers Sancho and a really good centre half. I don't want him to go, but something like that would not be a bad deal at all. It's certainly one that FSG would like, but they would be weighing up Mo's popularity in the Arab world as well.

Not sure there's that much money in the market Ronnie. I think Real have eyes on Mbappe and not sure Barcelona have a pot to piss in.

I thought Jurgen had said it was all good when he spoke to Mo about not being captain for that CL game?

17 minutes ago, Code said:

His hissy what?

The biggest nonstory ever. 

I love how people just ignore the main story in the interview, about Salah wanting to break every record possible with Liverpool.

@Code He's breaking the record for being the most overrated player we've ever had 

42 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I'm not sure he's had a hissy fit at all - in fact I would read more into the fact he's done the interview with AS when he doesn't really seem to do many interviews. He'll have known taking that interview that the question was coming about Barca/Madrid. But what the press brushed over was him saying he wants to stay and break all of the records and him doing that is in Liverpool's hands. For me it's the 1st step in his contract negotiation. 

As for getting 150m - I would guess if Madrid buy big, they will want mbappe or save their money for mbappe. If Barca do, they need to clear out the £1m+ per week wages they pay to messi and he's making noises aboit staying. Aside from them I only see PSG being able to afford him and would he want to play there?

14 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Not sure there's that much money in the market Ronnie. I think Real have eyes on Mbappe and not sure Barcelona have a pot to piss in.

I thought Jurgen had said it was all good when he spoke to Mo about not being captain for that CL game?

Think Madrid could go on a mad spending spree in the next two years but I agree Mbappe is probably the one they want most. I wonder will they go after Fernandes as well. 

14 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not sure he's had a hissy fit at all - in fact I would read more into the fact he's done the interview with AS when he doesn't really seem to do many interviews. He'll have known taking that interview that the question was coming about Barca/Madrid. But what the press brushed over was him saying he wants to stay and break all of the records and him doing that is in Liverpool's hands. For me it's the 1st step in his contract negotiation. 

As for getting 150m - I would guess if Madrid buy big, they will want mbappe or save their money for mbappe. If Barca do, they need to clear out the £1m+ per week wages they pay to messi and he's making noises aboit staying. Aside from them I only see PSG being able to afford him and would he want to play there?

I think there was more positives than negatives in it Barrington and I agree it's the first step in negotiations. You could say that by saying he was disappointed about not being captain, it shows he cares. Not sure Jurgen would agree though. He would like that kept behind closed doors.

Not sure would Mo go to PSG, but with their Arab owners, he would appeal to them big time. By the summer, he could have another title and/or a champions league and may feel playing for another top team, living in a nice city and earning gigantic money could be hard to turn down. 

FSG and Jurgen will be balancing losing a world class player and seeing if they can do a Coutinho job and set us up better for the next 3-5 years. 

5 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Think Madrid could go on a mad spending spree in the next two years but I agree Mbappe is probably the one they want most. I wonder will they go after Fernandes as well. 

I think there was more positives than negatives in it Barrington and I agree it's the first step in negotiations. You could say that by saying he was disappointed about not being captain, it shows he cares. Not sure Jurgen would agree though. He would like that kept behind closed doors.

Not sure would Mo go to PSG, but with their Arab owners, he would appeal to them big time. By the summer, he could have another title and/or a champions league and may feel playing for another top team, living in a nice city and earning gigantic money could be hard to turn down. 

FSG and Jurgen will be balancing losing a world class player and seeing if they can do a Coutinho job and set us up better for the next 3-5 years. 

I'm sure klopp would prefer it kept in house, but he's also smart enough to realise it could just be a simple "show me the love with money if you can't show it with the armband". Or maybe he wants to become part of the group of captains, which I think is currently hendo, vvd, milner and Gini. We've also mostly kept the whole Gini conversation in house and he's looking like he's on his way out. Whatever works to get him to sign up is alright with me. He's fucking brilliant and even if he is to move on, the club are in control should he sign a new deal. We start to lose control after this summer. 

As for the Arab link, I'm not so sure about that.  I'm not terrifically up to date (or indeed interested ) in Arab politics, but I was pretty sure Egypt sit in the same camp as Saudi and the UAE where Qatar is concerned, so I doubt it would be too positive for Salah at home if he was to play for the Qatari's - and I'm not sure an Egyptian being the new superstar would stack up that well with the Qatari royal family. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm sure klopp would prefer it kept in house, but he's also smart enough to realise it could just be a simple "show me the love with money if you can't show it with the armband". Or maybe he wants to become part of the group of captains, which I think is currently hendo, vvd, milner and Gini. We've also mostly kept the whole Gini conversation in house and he's looking like he's on his way out. Whatever works to get him to sign up is alright with me. He's fucking brilliant and even if he is to move on, the club are in control should he sign a new deal. We start to lose control after this summer. 

As for the Arab link, I'm not so sure about that.  I'm not terrifically up to date (or indeed interested ) in Arab politics, but I was pretty sure Egypt sit in the same camp as Saudi and the UAE where Qatar is concerned, so I doubt it would be too positive for Salah at home if he was to play for the Qatari's - and I'm not sure an Egyptian being the new superstar would stack up that well with the Qatari royal family. 

Fair point that. Lots of different factions in the Arab world so PSG mightn't be an option for him. 

On 01/01/2021 at 11:58, The Guest said:

Every player misses chances.  The difference for me is that when those players went through on goal you had the feeling they would score.  When Mo goes through you assume he’s going to miss.  The way he strikes a ball is so inconsistent and more often than not Shite you can’t be confident with him and it’s what makes him a poor finisher.  He’s shown on quite a few occasions he can hit the ball really well and hard yet it’s far more often that he barely gets any power at all or just completely misses the target.

He’s been part of the greatest team we’ve ever had in my opinion.  He’s still a great footballer.  History will judge him as part of that.  He does loads of work that other players at his level don’t do at other clubs because they clearly think they are above it.  I’d go as far as saying he’s been our best player this season as his all round game has gone up another level.  When the games have been tight lately though his finishing ability is costing us.  Some fanboys can pretend like it’s not happening if they want but it doesn’t change the fact that it is.

He’s scoring which is great obviously, but I find him not as good as the previous season so far . Robbo and Fabinho have been better this season, haven’t they ?

• Upvote 1

I'd be gutted if we sold Mo but also realise to keep a team at the top, the manager has to make decisions we as fans might not like or agree with.

Mo's one of the few players we have who even if he's having a shit day in front of goal, looks like he's arsed and still keeps trying his hardest. Not saying the other players arent as arsed, only that it looks to me like that's the attitude with one or two.

Im not convinced by Sancho and not sure Haarland would suit our style unless Jurgen changed it to suit him. A player Id love us to get is that Foden at city. Absolute no chance of that happening and he might be a little shit. But, the boy knows where the goal is and looks a natural scorer.

• Upvote 1

I can’t see him going anywhere because I can’t see anyone paying anywhere near the money we would want for him.  No player has left here under Klopp and done well.  In fact the arse has fell out of the career of every player that has off the top of my head.  I think there are massive question marks to whether he would be as effective at other clubs and he wouldn’t be worth the risk.  Add in the covid situation and I think there’s a big chance he walks away for free in 2 years.  I think he will have pissed everyone other than his devout believers by then.