You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Salah is easily the best player in the PL, he might be the best player the PL have ever seen. 

Imagine how his numbers could look like with a bit more creativity behind him. 

He’s simply unreal.

Two more goals tomorrow and another win would be great. 

D89AF67A-F868-47DC-AB2B-40DDEAAB7243.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Code said:

Salah is easily the best player in the PL, he might be the best player the PL have ever seen. 

He’s simply unreal.

For me Salah is comfortably in the top 10. I’d still put Gerrard, Suarez, Henry, Virgil and C Ronaldo ahead for now.

Not sure they're comparing like with like there to be fair, Giggs was an old fashioned winger that stayed on the touchline, the few occasions ferguson tried to play him up front he couldn't hit Ant McPartlin's forehead with Chinese, star-shaped weaponry. 

Salah is a striker really.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Not sure they're comparing like with like there to be fair, Giggs was an old fashioned winger that stayed on the touchline, the few occasions ferguson tried to play him up front he couldn't hit Ant McPartlin's forehead with Chinese, star-shaped weaponry. 

Yes, he'd have played wide right now as a forward. As would Barnes.

34 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Agred with everything except the term Striker. He's not really, is he? He tracks back all game, and is continually boxed into the corner with 2 or 3 on him.

That does not happen to strikers (Kane, Aguero, Vardy, etc).

With Giggs, if he'd played in a 433, he'd certainly have scored more goals.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has said that he made a mistake in deciding who should have earned the captaincy in a recent Champions League match.

Discussion about the Reds’ 1-1 draw with Midtjylland continued long after the match into the media. Indeed, such discussions have not centred around the players’ lacklustre performance in the dead rubber.

Instead, winger Mohamed Salah vented his disappointment at not earning the captaincy in Denmark. Full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold took that mantle – for the first time in his Anfield career. But while Salah felt frustrated, Alexander-Arnold was overjoyed at leading his boyhood club. According to Klopp, however, 2014 signing Divock Origi should have taken the armband. The Belgian was the club’s longest-serving player who featured in the European clash in the absence of more senior stars.

“The rule here is, we have a players’ committee,” Klopp told a press conference (via Goal). “Hendo wears the armband, and if he’s not playing then it’s Milly [James Milner]. If those two are not playing then it’s Virgil [van Dijk] and if all three are not playing, it’s Gini [Wijnaldum]. If they all cannot play, then it’s usually the player who is longest at the club. And that was how I saw it in my understanding. Trent got it because he was longest at the club – professionally, not just his youth career.”

“Somebody afterwards told me it would have been Divock Origi, but Div was on loan and stuff like that. That was my fault. I didn’t make it that complicated. It was just, ‘Trent is longest at the club, so he has the armband’.”

Klopp admitted that he made a mistake but cleared the air with Salah before he made his thoughts public.

“Of course I spoke to Mo about it afterwards,” When I realised it didn’t work out that well [for him], I clarified it, and then he spoke about it again in the interview, which is not a problem for me. Yes, he was disappointed, but I didn’t do it on purpose. I just did what I did, and if I made a mistake then it was that Divock Origi was not the captain that day!”

Klopp opens up on Salah comments

Elsewhere in his interview with AS, Salah admitted that he could not rule out a move to Spain. As such, doubt has surfaced about the Egyptian’s future at Anfield. Klopp, though, insisted that Salah said what all players would have said in the same situation.

“When Mo answered the question, it was just that these clubs might be interested, and he wouldn’t rule it out,” the manager said. "Imagine, if you ask any player in the world who isn’t playing for Barcelona or Madrid, and you ask them, ‘Can you imagine playing for them one day?’ and they say, ‘No, not for them, Spain is s***!’ or whatever. Why would he say that? All [Salah] said is, ‘We will see’ and that it’s in the club’s hands. That’s true, 100 per cent. It’s about the future.

“It’s really all fine. You obviously have not a lot to talk about, and that’s why we make a long story about one interview. That’s fine, but it doesn’t make it more important to me. Mo is a very important player for me, obviously, but the story around isn’t!”

2 hours ago, m0e said:

Agred with everything except the term Striker. He's not really, is he? He tracks back all game, and is continually boxed into the corner with 2 or 3 on him.

That does not happen to strikers (Kane, Aguero, Vardy, etc).

With Giggs, if he'd played in a 433, he'd certainly have scored more goals.

True, I suppose 'attacker' is what they call them now. They've certainly got the same expectancy on them to deliver goals though I'd say, just as much as if they were an out and out penalty box striker, I don't think there would have been that level of expectation to score on Giggs, or an Overmars or a Barnes.

• Upvote 1

Shame that the greatest player to have ever graced the premier league wasn’t playing today. We might have won the game then.

On a more serious note the problem between him and Salah is damaging the team.  Their outright refusal to give each other the ball unless it’s the absolute only and final option and probably not a goal scoring opportunity needs addressing.  It’s cost us points today and not for the first time.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Code said:

He’s simply unreal.

Salah is very good, world class, but Gerrard, Suarez and Henry were better.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Shame that the greatest player to have ever graced the premier league wasn’t playing today. We might have won the game then.

On a more serious note the problem between him and Salah is damaging the team.  Their outright refusal to give each other the ball unless it’s the absolute only and final option and probably not a goal scoring opportunity needs addressing.  It’s cost us points today and not for the first time.

Salah passes the ball to Mane all the time, not the other way around though.

• Downvote 1

Probably get negged to fuck for this but here goes.
The nearest thing we have to a proper striker is Jota.

Salah, Firmino and Mane are forwards, class forwards at that, but the three of them miss too many chances to be called strikers in the same way that the likes of Aguero, Vardy or Henry are called strikers.

Class strikers take one goal in two chances or one in three chances average.

I bow to anyone that can show our three are in that category.

I know they’ve scored shitloads of goals between them and we’re Champions, but it still irks me at the wasted chances we see, fuck me, we’d have been so far away from everyone else if the conversion rate was better. 

“ Puts on tin hat”

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Salah, Firmino and Mane are forwards, class forwards at that, but the three of them miss too many chances to be called strikers in the same way that the likes of Aguero, Vardy or Henry are called strikers.

I know they’ve scored shitloads of goals between them and we’re Champions, but it still irks me at the wasted chances we see, fuck me, we’d have been so far away from everyone else if the conversion rate was better. 

“ Puts on tin hat”

I never followed Jota's career so dont know if he's a striker or an attacker or a forward. He's clearly hit the ground running since signing. But he seems to have attained the status of our sole saviour in that short time.

I think people need to compare that to Sadio and certainly Mo's first handful of games. Many seem to think we'd have scored a hatfull today if Jota had been available. But like I said, we were pedestrian and that game was like all the FA Cup ties we've played against League Two sides who just want to sit deep and defend.

It is our style that's let us down today plus a poor decision by a young player. We need to get it into our game to have a few pot shots on goal against teams who set up like today but we always seem to want to score from 12 yards or less. I was screaming at the tv during the first half 'fucking shoot, will yers!' I think Fab had one go which went miles over the bar and the players seemed to go, fuck that, we'll pass it instead!

• Upvote 1

Aguero is a brilliant striker but he’s had a country’s GDP worth of players propping him up his whole time in the premier league.  Jota has been here 5 minutes with a reputation of blowing hot and cold.  He definitely looks more of a wide forward than a number 9 but we will see.  Most sides we come up against defend in numbers that a lot of other forwards like Vardy don’t face.  It means that Vardy’s chances are going to be a lot more clear cut generally than Mane or Salah’s.

I don’t know where you’re pulling that stat from about taking 1 in 2 or 3 chances but that sort of thing is a complete myth.  Cristiano Ronaldo has a laughable number of shots per goal as an example.  Kane is similar or was a few years ago anyway before he started actually dropping off and playing Son in.  We’ve gotten so good as a team that as soon as an opponent tries to go toe to toe with us we pull them apart.  City won’t even do it anymore.  It means that our forwards have to rely on working half chances or even worse most of the time.  They still come away with lots of goals so I find your analysis a poor one.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

“ Puts on tin hat”

Jota, Firmino, Mane and Salah are all strikers of sorts. That's been the beauty of our attack. We don't have a player that isn't comfortable drifting centrally from their nominal position, and they're all goal threats. 

• Upvote 1