You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

25 minutes ago, Elite said:

It's all click bait. We've got some of the world's best players and they've all stuck around for at least 3 seasons and counting.

Usually yes. Salah did a calculated interview and that was quickly followed by his mate chiming in.

Hardly click bait.

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

Usually yes. Salah did a calculated interview and that was quickly followed by his mate chiming in.

Hardly click bait.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos say this kind of stuff every season. Until there's news of concrete interest from another team, it's nothing.

Haha. Love that about Klopp. ‘The only reason to leave is because of the weather.’

Tough players handle Liverpool winters. You dont see Henderson moaning about leaving Liverpool, because he knows Sunderland winters are probably worse. All jokes aside, Mo can do what he likes. This club is bigger than any single player. Speaking of which, I see Utd punched above their weight and got a draw against a big club this morning (nz time). 2-2 at Leicester.

52 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Haha. Love that about Klopp. ‘The only reason to leave is because of the weather.’

Tough players handle Liverpool winters. You dont see Henderson moaning about leaving Liverpool, because he knows Sunderland winters are probably worse. All jokes aside, Mo can do what he likes. This club is bigger than any single player. Speaking of which, I see Utd punched above their weight and got a draw against a big club this morning (nz time). 2-2 at Leicester.

I can confirm Sunderland winters are bleaker than Speke whilst coming off beak

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Cristiano Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos say this kind of stuff every season. Until there's news of concrete interest from another team, it's nothing.

Say what kind of stuff? That they're interested in joining Liverpool?

And if it's nothing, why is Klopp going on about it?

5 minutes ago, m0e said:

Say what kind of stuff? That they're interested in joining Liverpool?

And if it's nothing, why is Klopp going on about it?

No. They give vague interviews every season where they imply that their future is in question and come across as malcontents because it gives them leverage. Salah is just looking for leverage. There is no proof of anything. From his comments, you can equally say he wants to leave or wants to pressure the club about his contract. Hence, the comments are essentially meaningless for now.

Klopp is talking about it because he's asked about it. Nothing more complicated than that.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

No. They give vague interviews every season where they imply that their future is in question and come across as malcontents because it gives them leverage. Salah is just looking for leverage. There is no proof of anything. From his comments, you can equally say he wants to leave or wants to pressure the club about his contract. Hence, the comments are essentially meaningless for now.

Klopp is talking about it because he's asked about it. Nothing more complicated than that.

You're right. There is no proof of anything.

Including that he's looking for leverage.

As for your second point, we've had 5 years of Klopp saying practically fuck all about speculation, yet he's done 2 separate bits on this.

I don't mind your opinions, but that's all they are.

Don’t know if this has already been posted but this was the take of Simon Hughes in The Athletic the other day:

Salah’s flirting with Barca and what it means for his contract negotiations 

Mohamed Salah is a reluctant talker, but that does not mean he is introverted. The last time he agreed to an interview with anyone in the British media, outside his club’s in-house operation, I was there.

He was only persuaded because he’d just broken the 40-goal barrier for Liverpool in his first season at Anfield. He was friendly enough and I liked that bit of spirit and spike about him, the sort of qualities you see in his play. Yet I quickly formed the impression that he was holding himself back, that he’d rather be elsewhere. After three minutes and 58 slightly awkward seconds, he was gone.

It cannot be easy being the most famous footballer to come from a country where there is totalitarian rule, as there is in Egypt. Your words matter. You have to be careful what you say. Especially when your hero and friend Mohamed Aboutrika lives in exile having been placed on a terrorist watchlist for what he has said (and supposedly done) in the past. Doubly when voters spoil ballots by using your name in elections where all of the forecasts are predictably in favour of the controlling party.

Salah expressed gratitude to his team-mates at the Football Writers’ Awards ceremony in May 2018 when he collected his winners’ trophy. In April 2019, he spoke to Time Magazine about women’s rights. That aside, he has told the world very little about himself since returning to England in 2017.

It was unusual for him, then, to grant Spanish sports paper AS a sit down in person and in front of a camera at a COVID-19-secure location on Merseyside in the middle of a pandemic, with the contents published yesterday. It was also unusual for him to be as candid as he was, posing later with an AS microphone in front of a Christmas tree.

There were two revelations, the first being that he was “very disappointed” to be overlooked for a captaincy role in this month’s Champions League dead rubber at Midtjylland, the second relating to a new contract being in Liverpool’s hands. Not so revealing was the description of Barcelona and Real Madrid as “top clubs”, though perhaps telling neither were described as “top teams”.

In journalism, securing an interview is the archetypal scoop. Salah appears to have gone off grid at a club where most things go to plan. Yet there tends to be an ulterior motive when a player talks so openly, particularly if he is usually so cautious.

The landscape and the surroundings of Salah’s future currently looks like this: the 28-year-old has two and a half years to run on his current deal, which is worth around £200,000 a week. His next contract might be the most lucrative of his career, but everything agreed after that will be on reduced terms. Barcelona, meanwhile, have presidential elections next month and there are men who will make big promises to ensure that soon they will be able to walk the corridors of power at the Camp Nou. Elsewhere, Real are desperate to sign Kylian Mbappe from Paris Saint-Germain but financial restrictions might make that pursuit more challenging than it would have been in the past.

The Athletic understands that Jurgen Klopp and other key figures at Liverpool do not view Salah’s comments as a matter of frustration. It would have been understandable if Klopp’s decision to leave Salah on the bench against Crystal Palace on Saturday was his way of reminding him who is in charge, yet sources close to the manager suggest he’d decided before Liverpool’s victory over Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday night that he’d give his leading scorer an hour’s rest at Selhurst Park before introducing him for Sadio Mane.

Salah also emphatically suggested to AS that he was determined to break records at Anfield — “I repeat, every record”. The victory over Palace held historical significance, with Liverpool winning by a seven-goal margin away from home in the league for the first time in 106 top-flight years, with seven different players assisting the goals, the first time that’s happened in the Premier League. The result means Klopp has guided Liverpool to more wins than any other manager in the Premier League era, too.

Facts such as these reflect the variety of the threat posed by one of the most exciting Liverpool teams ever. This is a team that could allow Salah to realise his collective sporting ambitions as well as his personal ones. There is a temptation to think this might be the start of an exit strategy, but it is just as plausible that Salah wants to stay for a long time. Perhaps all he needs is an assurance that the club feel the same way, especially in the climate of COVID-19, which is expected to have caused north of £100 million in lost revenues.

Salah will be 31 at the end of his current contract, so sporting director Michael Edwards knows that he and Klopp have tough decisions ahead. Georginio Wijnaldum is likely to depart on a free transfer next summer and, at 30, he is one of the most influential players in Klopp’s starting XI. Perhaps it shows there is a willingness at Anfield to be bold when navigating such rocky waters.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, m0e said:

You're right. There is no proof of anything.

Including that he's looking for leverage.

As for your second point, we've had 5 years of Klopp saying practically fuck all about speculation, yet he's done 2 separate bits on this.

I don't mind your opinions, but that's all they are.

Klopp has reiterated for years he won't stand in the way of people leaving if they want to leave. That's been a standard comment of his.

It says a lot about the quality of Klopp and the fixers on the board that I'm genuinely not arsed if Salah leaves or not. For the first time since we last won the league, nobody is irreplaceable. We rely on nobody, depend on nobody, no one in English football saw Jota coming, either us signing him or being as good as he is, I bet Klopp and Co have got contingency documents out the ass. Only Klopp is irreplaceable in my view. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

It says a lot about the quality of Klopp and the fixers on the board that I'm genuinely not arsed if Salah leaves or not. For the first time since we last won the league, nobody is irreplaceable. We rely on nobody, depend on nobody, no one in English football saw Jota coming, either us signing him or being as good as he is, I bet Klopp and Co have got contingency documents out the ass. Only Klopp is irreplaceable in my view. 

There’s only one man to replace Klopp, as and when the time is right.

42 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

There’s only one man to replace Klopp, as and when the time is right.

Don't think it'll be Gerrard if that was him you are refering to. I think pepijn lijnders or Nagelsmann will be ahead of him by quite alot if he doesn't leave Scotland and get some taste of Premier league action as a manager. But my guesses are usually way off anyway. Just a gut feeling.

pepijn lijnders knows the ins and outs of the setup completely. Genious coach by all accounts and the attention to detail in training and training schedules is out of this world according to the players in Holland where he got sacked. A couple of them are on record saying they just weren't good enough to absorb his coaching and tactics. Here he won't be shy of quality players, so should be able to step up, if he haven't chosen to venture out and seek glory before Klopp eventually goes.

Nagelsmann already very experienced and have taken a step up with Leipzig and he seems to be doing well. Will be getting even more experience and will probably have a shot at a top tier club before Klopp goes and then time will tell.

Gut feeling says pepijn lijnders.

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

There hasn't been any real speculation since Coutinho left. That was 3 years ago. 

I was talking about the stuff see in the papers/hear from media...which whilst mostly shite of course is still noise and as i said (whilst admitting it is highly likely a case of stuff about our players being more noticeable to me) there always seems to be more about our best players.

Mane and Salah being the two over last couple of seasons see/hear most about.

It is no big deal anyway.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Exactly. We won't be replacing him with Balotelli style punts this time 

• Upvote 1

Klopp went on record upon signing new contract that his big task over the next to build a new team. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the last season we see there front three together e.g., Salah out for £100m when he’s £30m, Jota takes his place permanently, and we bring in a fledgling star or maybe a younger moneyball player like Dembele. 

• Downvote 1