You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

At the end of the day if players refuse to sign a contract and also decide to run their contract down there’s not a lot Liverpool or any club can do.  From a footballing perspective I’d rather they just stayed if the money isn’t great.

Yep, this is what’s happening with Gini now, he’s no intention of signing a deal imo so there’s really not a great deal you can do

• Downvote 1

Any player approaching, or at, 30 years old will have his agent in his ear to make that one last big move. Both Salah and Wijnaldum have won pretty much all you can win at Liverpool. I’m not counting the FA or Carabou cups. Both will always be lauded as LFC heroes for being in the team that brought the title back to Anfield. In a way, the only way is down for them if they stay and get older here. So I find it hardly surprising that they might be looking at or for a move, or to run down a contract to maximise their financial position, any further titles they might pick would be a bonus wherever they may go. The important thing that we should be doing is ensuring we get the maximum value whilst ensuring that anyone leaving will be going to a lower standard, and that adequate replacements are lined up. Klopp and Edwards appear to be quite good at that.

• Upvote 1

On 21/12/2020 at 11:25, Section_31 said:

Would be gutted to lose him, he's a talisman and his appeal goes way beyond his footballing ability. He's an icon. Young kids around the world are pretending to be Ronaldo, Messi and Salah. 

I'm currently in the process of brainwashing my Northern Irish nephew into becoming a Liverpool fan, it started with small gifts of scarves and the likes and now he's all in, but when he's having a kick about with his mates he's pretending to be Salah. 

That being said, I'm 100% confident of Klopp being able to replace him. 

Do you know who Klopp is going to replace your nephew with yet? 

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Currently trending on Twitter, I was worried it was more transfer talk, but it's just a bunch of Muslims who are butt-hurt because Mo has put up a Christmas tree.

Hope he doesn’t have blue tinsel & ball-balls on it.

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Currently trending on Twitter, I was worried it was more transfer talk, but it's just a bunch of Muslims who are butt-hurt because Mo has put up a Christmas tree.

Imagine seeing a young family this happy (and this cute) and deciding to be offended by it.

Religion makes people fucking weird at times.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Fixed.

What lovely pictures.

I found this article very interesting.

Not sure why it’s copied like that, sorry. The Guardians fault.

Jürgen Klopp has told Mohamed Salah the only reason to leave Liverpool is the weather but conceded the club cannot force a player to stay against his will.

Salah did not rule out a future move to Barcelona or Real Madrid when he gave a rare interview last week to the Spanish sports daily AS and expressed disappointment at not being named captain for Liverpool’s Champions League group finale at Midtjylland. On the flipside the Egypt international, who became the club’s leading goalscorer in the Champions League in that game, also stated he wanted to break “every record in the club” and his immediate aim was winning the Premier League and Europe’s elite competition again with Liverpool.

'Mo is in a good moment': Klopp dismisses Salah transfer speculation

Klopp said the interview did not indicate internal problems between Liverpool and their leading goalscorer, who is under contract at Anfield until 2023.

The Liverpool manager said: “The only reason to leave Liverpool at the moment is the weather. What other reason could there be? This is one of the biggest clubs in the world. We pay good money, maybe not the most in the world but we pay good, we have a sensational stadium with outstanding supporters, we have a fanbase all around the world and our colours are red, which is the nicest colour anyway.

“You cannot force people to stay but that is it. We never did by the way. It is all about timing, the right moment. We make changes and bring players in and if a player wants to go then we cannot, probably not hold him back; it’s just that I would not understand why somebody would want to go.

“When Mo answered the question it was that these clubs might be interested and he didn’t rule that out. If you ask any player in the world who is not playing for Barcelona or Real Madrid if he can imagine playing there one day and he said: ‘No, Spanish football is not for me,’ why should he say that? The only thing he said was we shall see and it is in the club’s hands. It is 100% true and it is about having talks about the future. It is really all fine. Mo is a very important player for me obviously but this story around is not.”

Klopp said it can be “challenging” managing players of Salah’s level albeit “in a good way”. He said: “Footballers need to be extremely confident so they can play their best football. Being extremely confident makes you a special person but not always the easiest to deal with every day. That’s my job. To deal with it. So far there has been no problem. I do not see there being a problem in the future.”

The Liverpool manager conceded, however, that he erred when appointing Trent Alexander-Arnold captain of his boyhood club for the first time against Midtjylland. Salah told AS that he was expecting to be captain that night in the absence of Jordan Henderson, James Milner, Virgil van Dijk and Georginio Wijnaldum.

“I was captain for a long time in my career and I always thought: ‘what a job this is’ because there are not a lot of benefits and there is a lot of work,” Klopp said. “I didn’t feel, or do not feel, the importance of being captain. Before the game I did not realise how important that can be for players and I didn’t realise how big aa story it was for Trent. 

“The rule here is we have a players’ committee. The committee is Jordan Henderson, James Milner, Virgil van Dijk and Gini Wijnaldum. These are pretty much the four captains. If they all cannot play, usually it is the guy who is longest in the club. And that, how I saw it, was Trent. I don’t mean youth career, but in his professional career. Then somebody told me that on that basis it should have been Divock Origi. So it was my fault.

Advertisement
Afterwards I spoke to Mo about it. Then I realised it did not work out that well so I clarified it. Obviously he gave the interview. That is not a problem for me. Obviously he was disappointed. I did not do it on purpose, and if I made a mistake then it was not making Divock Origi captain that day.”

So, the interview was a much bigger deal than I thought...

When Oxlade was doing the tour of the the Kirby training complex, he made a couple of comments about Mo which implied he has previous for getting a titty lip.

Hopefully that's all this is, but it's unusual for Klopp to go into this much detail, isn't it?

I’m surprised we’ve kept our front three together for as long as we have. 

I also think another league title or European Cup this season would make it more likely that one might move on. What’s left to achieve with us at that point? 

I’d also be confident that we’d rinse any club buying them Coutinho-style and bring in the right replacement. 

Just now, El Rojo said:

I’m surprised we’ve kept our front three together for as long as we have. 

I also think another league title or European Cup this season would make it more likely that one might move on. What’s left to achieve with us at that point? 

I’d also be confident that we’d rinse any club buying them Coutinho-style and bring in the right replacement. 

I don't get this "what's left to achieve" line to be honest. How about more trophies and more records? Why else would you play football at that level?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, m0e said:

I don't get this "what's left to achieve" line to be honest. How about more trophies and more records? Why else would you play football at that level?

It’s not inconceivable that Mo and others have had Real Madrid or Barcelona at the back of their mind since they were young kids (but before both became joke shops). 

Anyway, loads of players have left us at times of great success to seek out new challenges. Keegan and Ray Clemence are two that spring to mind. Different people have different motivations. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

It’s not inconceivable that Mo and others have had Real Madrid or Barcelona at the back of their mind since they were young kids (but before both became joke shops). 

Anyway, loads of players have left us at times of great success to seek out new challenges. Keegan and Ray Clemence are two that spring to mind. Different people have different motivations. 

I agree it's not inconceivable.

But usually the ones who really did have Real and Barca in mind made sure they weren't tied to a contract past their peak, or at the very least had exit clauses. See Bale, Suarez and Ronaldo as examples 

I think you'll struggle to find more examples from Liverpool at our peak. And even the two you named; Clemence I don't think left us for Spurs to win more, and for Keegan it seems it was to experience another league. Like Souness after him.

But there are many more examples of Liverpool, United, Barcelona and Bayern Munich players staying put as long as their clubs were competitive.

Always seems to surround our best players these stories and constant speculation...

Maybe it is because we are more tuned into our own players...but where for example are all the stories linking Son with a move away from Spurs - 'chance to finally win things' 'improve pay' etc.

Maybe they are just as prevalent, and it is just as an LFC supporter don't read them, but it does feel to me it is much more case with our best players and has been for years.

Even someone like Jota who has been here two mins and is still young there was a story other week from some gobshite saying he won't stay long with us....

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, an tha said:

Always seems to surround our best players these stories and constant speculation...

Maybe it is because we are more tuned into our own players...but where for example are all the stories linking Son with a move away from Spurs - 'chance to finally win things' 'improve pay' etc.

Maybe they are just as prevalent, and it is just as an LFC supporter don't read them, but it does feel to me it is much more case with our best players and has been for years.

Even someone like Jota who has been here two mins and is still young there was a story other week from some gobshite saying he won't stay long with us....

There hasn't been any real speculation since Coutinho left. That was 3 years ago.