You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

I absolutely love Mo regardless of all this. I dont care if he is a bit of primadonna at times. We have had great players who had a bit of that in them.

Yes, he can be a bit spiky despite the regular smiley faced persona. And I guess that is why some people would never warm to him. However, the ones I find laughable are those who occasionally doubt his world class ability.

Few days ago, I read someone on this forum claiming Salah had had an underwhelming season and that his goals were covering up a "lot of his flaws" and another person agreeing, saying he had relied on penalties for almost half of his goals. Utter bollocks.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I mean, last season 10 of his 19 goals were penalties in the league. And it was a poorer season by his own standards. He's still class though.

Thats simply not true, 3 of his 19 goals were penalties last season.

So far this season 5 out of 13 goals have been penalties, he’s been fouled for 3 of them himself.

These are all his PL penalties, all the hits and also the one miss he has.

706109B2-9614-4538-8F51-5A21590A8C58.jpeg

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I mean, last season 10 of his 19 goals were penalties in the league. And it was a poorer season by his own standards. He's still class though.

Where do you get this from?

The fact you even think we got 10 penalties at all is worrying.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Code said:

Thats simply not true, 3 of his 19 goals were penalties last season.

So far this season 5 out of 13 goals have been penalties, he’s been fouled for 3 of them himself.

These are all his PL penalties, all the hits and also the one miss he has.

706109B2-9614-4538-8F51-5A21590A8C58.jpeg

Ah, in my hungover stupour I mistook the assist icon for penalties in a stats page.

Carry on.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9070191/amp/Mohamed-Salah-stuns-Liverpool-admitting-open-joining-Real-Madrid-Barcelona-future.html

Excuse the source *spits*

But is anyone else concerned with these quotes? Sounds very much like he's looking to leave in the not so distant future.

Usually I don't entertain random rumours but this has the hallmark of previous occasions with players eyeing up the Spanish big 2.

Why is he expressing disappointed to a newspaper, for one. That kind of shit is just asking for rumours of discontent. I doubt Klopp would be overly happy with it.

Maybe I'm reading to much into it. Or maybe Salah goes and we get Mbappe.

Quotes:

'I think Madrid and Barcelona are two top clubs,' he said.

'Who knows what will happen in the future, but right now I am focused on winning the Premier League and the Champions League with Liverpool again.'

When pressed on his future further, Salah insisted everything was in Liverpool's hands, adding: 'That's a tough question, but right now I can say that everything is in the hands of the club.

'Of course I want to break records here and, I repeat, all the club records, but everything is in the hands of the club.' 

The Egyptian opened the scoring in the first minute but did so in a side led by 22-year-old Trent Alexander-Arnold, a decision Salah admitted he was frustrated with but one he must now accept. 

'Honestly, I was very disappointed,' he added. 'I was hoping to be the captain, but it's a coach's decision. I accept it.'

He's down to 2 years left on his contract in the summer, which is often a trigger point for a new contract or moving on. This is the start of that negotiation. He's said it's in the hands of the club - and as we have seen before, that can work out, it's why all the front 3 are on their 2nd Liverpool contract or sometimes it doesn't work out, like we can see with Emre Can and currently with Gini. He will have what he thinks is his worth and he might fancy going elsewhere and to stay wants a bit more than his worth to remain, but ultimately it'll all come down to can the club hit his number. If they can't they can choose to run his contract down and enjoy him for 2 years and lose him for nothing or they can put him up for sale. It's as the lad says, it's in the club's hands. 

27 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I said it because at the time it was true, it had nothing to do with agreeing with anything, simply a fact 5 of his 11 were pens - he has just added two golas yesterday.

Penalties have to be scored, for Salah’s part , he’s won three out of five penalties himself. 

I can’t see him going.  He’s got it good here.  He’s managed by the best manager in the world and has the best chance of winning the Champions League here.  I can’t see Barca or Real affording him.  Their league is in an absolute state never mind Barca’s finances anyway.

He does seem to have a lack of self awareness though.  He gets annoyed when team mates don’t play him in despite his own previous behaviour.  He’s not quoted as saying he hoped to be captain like Code said either he said he expected to be.  There’s a difference and after the brothers wedding incident recently he’s only got himself to blame.

At the moment I don’t think I’d swap him for any player in world football but people treating him like some irreplaceable god need to have a word with themselves.  If he goes we would deal with it.  I think he’s a flawed character and his personality causes issues bubbling under the surface quite a lot in the squad.  We aren’t used to it here because I don’t think we’ve ever had so many good players at the club at one time.  Success brings and feeds egos.  We seen it with Mane yesterday as well.  People should stop pretending to themselves these things aren’t there.

His attitude's not a problem at all. Just like Ronaldo's isn't and never has been. He's obsessed with stats and playing every game and he wants his due. That's something you live with because he wins games and trophies and is part of a collective that wins games. It's a problem if you're dealing with a loser, but he's not a loser. All these articles, interviews, disappointed looks when he gets subbed, it's all irrelevant. 

But yeah, as good as he is he's #notbiggerthantheclub.

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I said it because at the time it was true, it had nothing to do with agreeing with anything, simply a fact 5 of his 11 were pens - he has just added two golas yesterday.

Don't think you specified league goals though. At the time you said, only 5 of his 14 goals in all comps were penalties. That's not half.

And now it's 5 of his 16 goals. Just felt that mentioning him scoring penalties was a form of criticism to show he hasn't been great this season. When he actually has been. Having an impeccable record on penalties is actually also a good thing.

47 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Don't think you specified league goals though. At the time you said, only 5 of his 14 goals in all comps were penalties. That's not half.

And now it's 5 of his 16 goals. Just felt that mentioning him scoring penalties was a form of criticism to show he hasn't been great this season. When he actually has been. Having an impeccable record on penalties is actually also a good thing.

Oyy pedant - he scored one in the CL as well. So it was 6 out of 14 - which of course is almost half of his goals.

Want to know why - cuz 6 is almost half of 14.

That is not a critique, it is just the truth.

That interview must be the most polite way a player has agitated for a move...

"Yeah, I hoped to be captain one night, but the manager makes the decisions..." 

"I want to break all of Liverpool records..." 

Basically, it's an honor he'd like to have the armband one day, and he wants to break records for the team. Stupid press really desperate for headlines. 

• Like 1

Liverpool are considering selling Mohamed Salah, who is unhappy at Anfield, according to his former international team-mate Mohamed Aboutrika.

The Reds striker, who has scored 13 Premier League goals in 13 appearances this season recently revealed he was “very disappointed” not to be handed the captaincy against FC Midtjylland.

Virgil van Dijk, Jordan Henderson and James Milner were all sidelined for the Champions League game. It meant Salah thought he would get the skipper’s armband.

However, the 28-year-old was overlooked and local-born star Trent Alexander-Arnold was made the captain.

Aboutrika says the former Roma man was not happy about that particular decision by Klopp. Although there are apparently other reasons why he is unsettled at Anfield.

“I called Salah about his situation at Liverpool and he is upset, but that would never affect his performance on the field,” Aboutrika told beIN Sports via Goal.

“I know that Salah is not happy in Liverpool. He told me the reasons why he is not happy but they are secrets and I cannot talk about it in public. One of the reasons that made Salah angry was that he was not the captain against Midtjylland.”

Salah was rested and dropped to the bench for Liverpool’s game at Crystal Palace on Saturday. The Egypt forward did though come off the bench and score a brace in the 7-0 win over Crystal Palace.

Liverpool to cash in?

Now Aboutrika thinks Liverpool are ready to cash in on Salah with the moneymen well aware of the prolific forward’s unhappiness.

In the same interview with Spanish outlet AS (via The Metro), the Egyptian did reveal his admiration for Real Madrid and Barcelona. And Aboutrika expects his friend to make the move to one of the Spanish giants.

“If Salah was a player at Real Madrid or Barcelona, and playing at the same level as Liverpool, he would’ve won the Ballon d’Or. It is normal for a Spanish newspaper to ask Salah about Real Madrid and Barcelona,” added Aboutrika.

“In my opinion, Liverpool are considering selling Salah for economic purposes.

“I do not have any influence over Salah’s decisions. He is my friend and brother, and he is smart enough to know what is best for him.”

I could only see him going to PSG as they would be the only ones who could afford him and their Arab owners would want to promote him as much as possible. 

But given that the French league isn't as competitive and may be less competitive as a result of the tv deal a few of the other teams may be weakened would he want to go to a league where it's easier to win the league and their sketchy record in the CL?. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Can't fathom why anyone would want to play in another league at the moment, the grotesque arrogance of Madrid and Barcelona is legendary but they're nowhere near our level, either of them. 

Both of them are skint and have shit disjointed squads. Barcelona will change managers again soon and Zidane looks like he wont be there long.

• Upvote 1