You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Guest Alex_K
15 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Its a bit(no pun intended) unfair on Suarez as he almost carried a whole team while sitting out a few suspensions along the way. He also played with Mignolet in goal and Skrtel at centre half! Mo has been brilliant though and its been fantastic that we have been able to turn around Rodgers disasterous last season so relatively quickly. 

He also had Gerrard and Coutinho providing assists. Salah has gone 18 months without that kind of midfield service. A lot of his goals -- like on Saturday -- are of his own making.

5 hours ago, Alex_K said:

He also had Gerrard and Coutinho providing assists. Salah has gone 18 months without that kind of midfield service. A lot of his goals -- like on Saturday -- are of his own making.

Gerrard was a deep lying midfielder in that team and Coutinho,well,who were we talking about? Both have been brilliant for us,just that Mo's tenure has been more effective. Suarez was like a loanee,we knew he wouldn't hang around too long while Salah has spent a good while and will hopefully continue to do so.

7 hours ago, Alex_K said:

I absolutely adore Salah, but Christ I’m not having that. 

yes, Suarez played with Gerrard and Coutinho, and yes, Salah hasn’t played alongside such creative midfielders, but Suarez was the epitome of “a lot of his goals were of his own making”.

• Upvote 2

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I absolutely adore Salah, but Christ I’m not having that. 

yes, Suarez played with Gerrard and Coutinho, and yes, Salah hasn’t played alongside such creative midfielders, but Suarez was the epitome of “a lot of his goals were of his own making”.

Yes you're right - I should clarify. Suares was an ungodly force of nature and for sheer out-of-nothingness was probably the most skillful player we've ever had. But his upturn to that next-level did coincide with Coutinho/Sturridge arriving, and with Coutinho/Gerrard playing those kind of sumptuous De Bruyne-through balls week in week out. Players like Skrtel & Mignolet were obviously very poor, but Suarez did play with a front 5 in of Suarez/Sturridge/Coutinho/Sterling/Gerrard -- which boasted obscene talent and really should have won the league.

We don't really have that midfield-creator capability in the team now (I guess why most have a creative-midfielder on their wishlist), although we do have 2 full-backs whose quality is as good as almost any midfielders to have played in the league, so apples and oranges. I do think its fair to say though that the current midfield is typically set up to harry the opposition and get the ball forward as quickly as possible, and usually we then do our best work with Mane/Salah from there.

11 hours ago, Baltar said:

The idea that some Reds might be happy for Mo to leave blows my mind. Who on earth would replace him? I'd love to hear REALISTIC suggestions of players of the same quality that we could get.

It's utter madness, isnt it? I suspect it's the anti FSG crowd or, those who think we're signing Mbappe in the summer. We arent and would never do so. Would Mo want to move on next season? Who knows, even Gerrard was on the verge of moving twice.

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

The one where Mane won the ball pressing?

To be honest, Saturday was a perfect example of Salah making his own goal. He receives the ball 3 yards behind where he's running midflight. By the time he's stopped and gathered it, there's 3 Bournemouth defenders between him and the goal & 2 Bournemouth players rushing at him. He swivels and plants it first time in the corner of the goal, probably the only place he's going to score from in that position. Aguero aside, you're probably not going to find another player in the league who scores a goal like that, as instinctively as that, on Saturday. I'm sure there's a GIF somewhere, or its at 40 s in this video.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

He doesn't like passing it to Salah - he probably thought it was Firmino and then realised a little to late.

That's the truth, Ruth. 

• 3 months later...