You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

8 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

What exactly does expected assists mean? Does it simply mean the number of assists he's expected to make? If so, how come it's going down from 23 assists to 18 expected? Or does it mean he's expecting to make 41 assists in total?

At a guess it's an assist that lead to an expected goal

His first season was very unlikely to be repeated. But even at 70% hes amongst the best players in the league. Hopefully he can find that bit extra. Its not even that they're doubling up on him, which makes life harder. He's missed so many curlers off his left that would have effortlessly flew into the top corner and that's probably a confidence thing. When you're on it, they all go in.

Also I am looking for a montage video of Salah I saw years ago but can't find it now. From what I can remember, part of it had clips in it where we beat City 3-0 in 2018 and the video used his tweets to get back at Chelsea. Something along the lines of "you didn't want me at my worst then you don't deserve my best". 

The only thing I'm finding a bit strange is his finishing. In his first season if he picked the ball up on the right of the box it was bent into the far post. He was accurate, hitting the ball clean with great bend. Now he's going near post so much more

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The only thing I'm finding a bit strange is his finishing. In his first season if he picked the ball up on the right of the box it was bent into the far post. He was accurate, hitting the ball clean with great bend. Now he's going near post so much more

He's went far post plenty too but had little luck with it, so maybe he's just changing it up because of that.

2 minutes ago, rotoq said:

He's went far post plenty too but had little luck with it, so maybe he's just changing it up because of that.

Maybe, he was never going to keep that strike rate up. But seems strange to change it up when it's not going perfectly. Can't imagine Henry for example ever changing from a similar formula on the opposite flank. 

Anyway we are winning a d sharing the goals around so who cares who's scoring. 

Though I would like to properly batter a team by 5 or 6, tomorrow would be a good start

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rotoq said:

His first season was very unlikely to be repeated. But even at 70% hes amongst the best players in the league. Hopefully he can find that bit extra. Its not even that they're doubling up on him, which makes life harder. He's missed so many curlers off his left that would have effortlessly flew into the top corner and that's probably a confidence thing. When you're on it, they all go in.

The amount of times he'd run towards the box before cutting it back onto his left before firing in a curler was great. 

Defenders seem to have sussed him out a bit and don't give him the time or space to do that anymore, explains his comments a few weeks ago about using his right more in training. 

His job's a bit harder now, but he's a great player, and even when he isn't scoring he's creating the space for Bobby and Sadio to do their thing. 

26 minutes ago, rotoq said:

Change this to the world please. He's head and shoulders above all but one or two players in the league. Sterling? Hazard? Please. They all pale by comparison. He is judged by ridiculous standards relative to his work rate and position on the pitch.

9 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Change this to the world please. He's head and shoulders above all but one or two players in the league. Sterling? Hazard? Please. They all pale by comparison. He is judged by ridiculous standards relative to his work rate and position on the pitch.

Maybe one for amnesty but outside Salahs stellar first season, I'd say Sterling is comparable, or at least an argument could be made. He wilts against us mostly though, but he's a great player.

But it's also hard to judge any forward playing in that city team, as it must be a dream to play in. Dominating possession like no one else and having plenty of the ball and chances.

13 minutes ago, rotoq said:

Maybe one for amnesty but outside Salahs stellar first season, I'd say Sterling is comparable, or at least an argument could be made. He wilts against us mostly though, but he's a great player.

But it's also hard to judge any forward playing in that city team, as it must be a dream to play in. Dominating possession like no one else and having plenty of the ball and chances.

Nope. Salah has 18 more league goals in 3 seasons over 5 more games total. 30% more goals. That's an outrageous difference between wingers at elite level. As elite players go, theyre not comparable. You can give the facts to any of the English media who'd hope to argue otherwise. 30% over 3 years isn't a marginal difference - its gigantic.

The type of finish I’ve missed from him is the dink. 

in his purplest patch, he scored a bunch of them in fairly quick succession including against city in the champions league second leg, and I think against Roma too. 

that was when he was oozing confidence and he knew practically every chance he got he would score.

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Nope. Salah has 18 more league goals in 3 seasons over 5 more games total. 30% more goals. That's an outrageous difference between wingers at elite level. As elite players go, theyre not comparable. You can give the facts to any of the English media who'd hope to argue otherwise. 30% over 3 years isn't a marginal difference - its gigantic.

I was comparing since Salahs first season, since he's dropped a level. Not for any reason other than its a better indicator of the level they're currently operating at. Salah is clearly still great but not operating at that same level. Its not a slight. Just how I see it.

Happy to disagree

5 minutes ago, rotoq said:

I was comparing since Salahs first season, since he's dropped a level. Not for any reason other than its a better indicator of the level they're currently operating at. Salah is clearly still great but not operating at that same level. Its not a slight. Just how I see it.

Happy to disagree

Why would you discount his best season?

6 minutes ago, rotoq said:

Happy to disagree

Well, you can be happy to disagree, but the facts aren't on your side. Is he operating at at 32 goals out of 36 games level? Well, no, because that was the greatest season in the history of the league (Aguero maxed out at 26 goals and Henry at 30 goals for context .. Salah was playing in a wide midfield position!!) and its not usual to repeat the greatest season in the history of the modern game year on year (unless you're Messi & reinventing the rules of how we understand football to be played). Is he still a league above a Raheem Sterling? Well, yes. That's why he's been a major component to his team having the greatest start in European football history while beating Raheem Sterlings team from pillar to post on basically every meeting.

The question you should be asking is why the media entertain Aguero & Henry as being the definitive Premier Leagues marksmen when Salah's best season blows both firmly out the water. Not why he hasn't repetitively broken the football universe again since.

Just now, viRdjil said:

Why would you discount his best season?

I'm not discounting it, I'm just saying as an outlier it affects how we might judge they likely performance levels and what we expect from them this season. Or next.

As it stands I think they're both great players not WORLDS apart in terms of ability. I'd obviously chose Salah but Raheems a great player.

2 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Well, you can be happy to disagree, but the facts aren't on your side. Is he operating at at 32 goals out of 36 games level? Well, no, because that was the greatest season in the history of the league (Aguero maxed out at 26 goals and Henry at 30 goals for context .. Salah was playing in a wide midfield position!!) and its not usual to repeat the greatest season in the history of the modern game year on year (unless you're Messi & reinventing the rules of how we understand football to be played). Is he still a league above a Raheem Sterling? Well, yes. That's why he's been a major component to his team having the greatest start in European football history while beating Raheem Sterlings team from pillar to post on basically every meeting.

The question you should be asking is why the media entertain Aguero & Henry as being the definitive Premier Leagues marksmen when Salah's best season blows both firmly out the water. Not why he hasn't repetitively broken the football universe again since.

Because Henry and Aguero did it for ages. Give it time.

Gonna leave it as it's impossible to have this discussion apparently.

On 18/01/2020 at 20:01, Alex_K said:

Since he joined Liverpool he has scored the most premier league goals, 8 ahead of Kane and 9 ahead of Aguero.

In the past 2 seasons it's:

Aguero 36
Aubameyang 36
Vardy 35
Salah 33
Mané 33
Kane 28
Sterling 28
Rashford 24

You get some smug cunts on football forums, almost as if it’s not real life.

Must be lonely in the trenches, and by trenches I mean your room in your Mum’s house, and by room I mean attic as your old room has a lodger in it since you left for Uni. You did of course come back home ( no surprise ) as there wasn’t much call for people with Degrees in eating pizza and watching Murdoch Mysteries.

This site is great however, none of them on here thankfully.

He terrifies defenders to the extent that he is physically manhandled in many of the games he plays, and I don’t think he gets quite enough protection. Look at Sunday, for instance. Either Luke Shaw was operating under the misapprehension that he was competing in a Greco-Roman wrestling match, or he could have been pulled up many more times for fouling Salah than he actually was.

No, he hasn’t maintained the almost Messi-esque level of finishing he showed in his first season, but there are only a handful of players in history who would have.

3 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Must be lonely in the trenches, and by trenches I mean your room in your Mum’s house, and by room I mean attic as your old room has a lodger in it since you left for Uni. You did of course come back home ( no surprise ) as there wasn’t much call for people with Degrees in eating pizza and watching Murdoch Mysteries.

Don't knock it. It's working well for me.

• Upvote 3