You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

2 hours ago, aventus said:

Is it all based on fan votes? 

The inconsistencies would make sense if it is, Chelsea fans sticking in enough votes to get courtois gk of the year, but not enough to get him in the team of the year etc

It's based on who has the highest ratings on the latest FIFA game.

26 minutes ago, moof said:

Thought he looked really sharp first half, probably a bit frustrated with himself for the shocking finishing. On another day he could’ve had 2 or 3. We’re getting there. Next weekend would be a nice time for him to find his shooting boots 

He has his shooting boots, he's even wearing them. I just think he's putting them on the wrong feet.

Not worried at all. Had a slow start to last season, he would never have a seson like last one regardless, plus he's a known quantity. Remembering what happened to Fowler we shouldn't feed this as a fan base as the pundits try and turn it into a big deal, he just needs space to rediscover his form and if the rest have to pull more of the load then so be it. 

• Upvote 2

I must admit, I was starting to worry a bit.  Today has helped massively in making feel he is back.  I thought he was great today - regardless of what the media narrative may be tomorrow.

He was unlucky to get subbed, but I didn't disagree with it.  I wanted to get Saqu on the field, and Mo was the best option.

He looked full of confidence.  City beware...

On 9/26/2017 at 9:52 PM, Joe Strummer said:

Not his main job but this lad needs 10 chances to get each goal.

On 9/26/2017 at 10:08 PM, eeyore said:

What does he actually do other than miss more chances than he scores

On 9/28/2017 at 3:25 PM, The Guest said:

Just going by the law of averages he's going to have a spell soon where everything he touches goes in. His misses earlier in the season I felt were down to poor finishing only (as in a weak shot or bad shot selection). Recently though I think he's just been a bit unlucky. The rebound he put wide last week could have went anywhere really and the header the other night was brilliant movement and it was a really good header from a fairly powerful cross. They aren't easy to direct and he did well to get it on target and obviously went for power instead of precise direction which in my opinion was the right choice.

On 10/2/2017 at 12:49 PM, Mil-ing Around said:

Am i still being too critical of his game? Maybe i'm going fucking mad but the weaknesses in his game far outweigh the positives when i watch him.

He does 1 good thing and then 4 bad things. 

Great header against Leicester then gave the ball away so cheaply for the vardy penalty, one pass and the opposition got clean through. 

Missed a few good chances against CSKA and final pass let him down time and time again. Missed a sitter of a header at the end too. 

Yesterday, broke through, great pass to Mane, got the return...completely missed the ball. Countless times his touch has let him down at the crucial moments. Over running the ball or simply making a bad pass or wrong decision when clean through. Missed another golden chance 2nd half. 

Mane also seems to be much less effective on the left. Still good, but nowhere near as dangerous as he is on the right.

Are we building our team around Salah's pace? Because we work him into some fantastic positions, you can't even blame our shit midfield or other attackers on this one. Against city first 30 minutes, against newcastle first 30 minutes, against CSKA 1st half. We have got him clean through countless times, with very little end product from him.

In all of those games you HAVE to punish teams when you are getting in behind them as much as we have done.  I know his pace get's him there but the timing of the pass and team shape is also crucial. That's when you must be ruthless in finishing or passing to a team mate to create a clear cut chance. He does neither. 

Teams at the professional level won't keep letting you get into those positions for 90 minutes.

I don't hate him but i do think we aren't anywhere near as ruthless this season. I'm not just talking about scoring goals, im talking about the quality of chances we now create. It's gone down a level. 

Is nobody else noticing this in his game or am i being way to critical so early?

On 10/5/2017 at 9:01 AM, The Guest said:

He's playing well the majority of the time in a poorly performing team. He's going to look great once the side hit some form. It's a good sign regardless.

On 10/5/2017 at 7:30 PM, eeyore said:

This is a purple patch he's in and has been pretty gash.

The goals are going to dry up soon for him, well they have started to already actually - no goals in 3/4 games now.

When it happens all we are left with is a fast player who can literally do fuck all else.

He's just benefited from loads of teams leaving him unmarked on the back post. Teams will get wise to it pretty quickly

On 10/5/2017 at 8:59 PM, Funkasy said:

Because he has missed shit ton of chances that should have been goals ? Good player tho because he does score some of them. 

Pretty much exactly a year ago people were having some of the same worries about Salah. 

I know eeyores opinion doesn't count, but I couldn't resist the temptation to make him look daft again

At least The Guest was chatting some sense. 

• Upvote 1

He doesn’t hide and that’s the best sign of all for me.  It was the same with Mane last season generally.  He’s always testing the player that he’s up against.  Even if he’s not putting it in the net he’s contributing the pressure that eventually leads to the goals.

He was playing very similar last season to how he is now.  It will come because his class is unquestionable.

Why are people worried? He was missing piss easy chances in every single game for the first few months of last season before he found his rhythm and then he couldn't stop scoring. The same thing is going to happen this season, guaranteed. He's getting into the right positions and is creating chances for himself. That's encouraging, I'm not that worried about Mo. 

• Upvote 1