You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saw quite a bit of him at Chelsea, and then for Fiorentina. Unless he's massively improved at Roma, he is the epitome of the fast winger who looks amazing on Youtube, but is immensely frustrating to watch on a weekly basis. He's the kind of athletic winger the Premier League has seen a lot of - the type who looks incredible one week and absolute shit the next. The "he has all the ingredients, but if only he could figure it out..." type. They never do.

He's not a particularly good dribbler, unless kicking the ball 10 yards past a defender and trying to recover it himself constitutes good dribbling. His technique and decision-making can fluctuate anywhere between adequate to Bramble, often in the same game. He's at his best in an open game with space to run into, something he won't see a lot of at a big club, especially not in the Premier League.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

We've replaced possibly the worst goalie in the league with possibly the best. Well have schneiderlin for the entire season. Gueye won't be off to Africa for six weeks. Jagielka has been replaced by one of the best centre backs in the league. We've signed an absolute beast in sandro. Look man has progressed. Rooney is still a magnificent footballer and will prove his worth. Tom Davies ready from the start of te season. Besic back from injur. Holgate, dowell, kenny, dcl, donkor are all highly promising youngsters.

And we're still not finished.

Liverpool have bought a Chelsea reject who had similar serie a stats to deulofeu and a full back from hull.

You'd have to be a bit demented to say the gap won't close next year.

giphy.gif

He'll still reckon Gylfi Sigurdsson is somehow better than Mo Salah.

Roma owner James Pallotta claims that Liverpool owner John W Henry was “bitching about” paying £37m for Mo Salah last summer.

Pallotta has confirmed that no other club was showing such strong interest in the Egyptian winger and Henry suspected he had overpaid.

Salah has gone on to score 41 goals in 46 appearances and has been named PFA Player of the Year. He is one of three Liverpool players in our Pleasant Surprise team of the season.

Salah faces Roma for the first time in the Champions League semi-finals and Pallotta has been speaking to ESPN about his talks with Henry.

“He was sort of bitching a little about, ‘Did we overpay? I think we overpaid,'” Pallotta said. “And I said, ‘I’ll buy you lunch.’

“When you look at it now, you can say it’s an unbelievable bargain. The issue at the time was that when [Roma director of football] Monchi came in, Salah wanted to leave. He had a year left on his contract so in another year you’d get nothing.

“He wanted to go back and prove himself, which he certainly has done. We can’t tell you that anybody else was calling for Salah at anywhere near that kind of price, so there’s a lot of teams that have missed out on the great play he’s had this year.”

Asked if he has been surprised by Salah’s goal return, Pallotta said: “Honestly, yes.

“The reason is probably we utilised him differently than Liverpool have. They figured out the best way to utilise him

“At the time, we had him as a winger and you got Dzeko in the middle and Dzeko’s scoring 36 goals himself last year, so it’s not like we didn’t have someone in there tearing up the league last year.

“So with Dzeko there, it changed a lot of how Salah would be used, and they figured out how to use him a little differently and he’s much more in the middle it seems like.

“Where I’m surprised, is how great he’s finishing. I mean I think he would say that in Rome, while he had a bunch of goals, his frustration was not finishing the same way and now you get the ball near his feet and it just seems like he’s figured a way to put it in the net.

“Do they have bigger nets in the Premier League? It’s just been amazing watching him and every time he scores I’m like, ‘Oh, dear God.'”

Yea another 15 years of this and you might be able to compare him to Messi and Ronaldo.

Good shout for best of the rest

I think with the level he's playing at the moment he's probably the best in the world right now.  He'd obviously have to keep it up over a number of seasons to be up there with Messi and Ronaldo though

Yea another 15 years of this and you might be able to compare him to Messi and Ronaldo.

Good shout for best of the rest

No issue with thinking he's the current best player in the world, it's different to comparing him to a prime Messi or Ronaldo who are now 30 and 33 respectively so are understandably past their absolute best.

It's like saying Ronaldo can't be considered the best until he scores another 100 goals to match pele.