You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Bargain in this market. He's been a 40-game a season man whereever he's been first-choice. 1/3 goal ratio for a winger. Absolute tonic to what ailed us when Mane was out last season. Those two are pretty much as good as it gets for a pair of wingers of their type in European football bar one or two others.

Weak? He barrelled Nzonzi off the ball last night and scored from it.

Two years ago in Basel, our useless paper midfield spent the night bouncing off that motherfucker.

He can be a bit wasteful, but he's quality and fits us like an arse fits a bucket, to use Klopp's parlance.

• Upvote 1

I might be going against the grain here but so far i don't think he's been anywhere near good enough. He wastes possession, can't pass very well, is weak and misses too many chances. Further to that, we work him into some really good/dangerous positions and he does fuck all once we get him there.

The major thing for me is he's a nearly man. Nearly makes a tackle. Nearly scores his chances. Nearly gets that pass through. Defensively he is so poor. He leaves the full back exposed and he can't tackle at all. He's quite a weak player and we are finding it so hard to press high up when he's on the pitch.

Maybe he's a Luis Garcia type of forward but Luis scored great goals to make up for the other stuff. Will Salah score those types of goals in tight games against the big sides when we really need him?

I don't see it so far.

Sorry man, but most of this is nonsense. He tackled, and scored last night from said tackle. Thats was from pressing high up the pitch which you say goes to bits when he's there. Just outside the oppositions box in fact.

Yes he can occasionally made a bad pass but recovers well and often gets the ball back.

As for doing fuck all in dangerous positions, I'll consider 4 goals in 7 games a tad better than "fuck all".

• Upvote 1

Biggest load of bollocks ive read in a long time.

Mil-ing Around in dumb opinion shocker!

Haha. When you two agree on something it means even less.

I can't agree that he's weak.  He tackles, his goal last night came about precisely through the sort of thing you think he can't do.

I admit, his finishing is weak so far, but I think that will improve.  He wastes the ball no more than the likes of Coutinho or Firmino - less than both of them last night.  The thing I like about him is his willingness - in fact his eagerness -  to get into positions to convert chances.  That and the fact that his pace and energy cause a lot of problems for the opposition.  

He's the definition of attack being the first line of defence.  Not many teams will be comfortable playing a high line with him and Mane about, which means less pressure on our midfield (and by christ they wilt at the first sign of pressure).  When we think back to Suarez's first season, he missed plenty of chances.  I'm hoping this lad will improve his chance/goal ratio significantly over the next few seasons.

Most people are obviously disagreeing with me which i expected to be honest. 

I think the biggest difference with him wasting the ball is he wastes it when he should make things happen and Coutinho and Firminho waste it when they are trying to make things happen. 

I think your last point is a good one, teams won't want to play high but then we also struggle against teams that drop deep. More so in fact. Do you think he has the skill/technique and awareness to help unlock those types of teams? I'm just not seeing it so far. I hope im wrong. 

I agree that he will score goals and get assists but people are ONLY talking about that on here. You can't just buy an attacker and say well he scored, so his job is done. That's fucking stupid in a team game at the highest level.  

Our problem is defending and this is the area of his game that i think really lets him down. Everyone will read this and go mental about how it's the defenders/midfielders that are shit, and most of them are, but 6 games in and it's been way to easy for the opposition to beat our press and then drift into area's on his side of the pitch. 

I know its early days and im definitely not wanting to rip him apart. It's just something I've noticed with each game. I think Klopp will improve him as he has with most attacking players but can he make him that much better? So far, just so far, i have some doubts. Don't have a heart attack about this you cunts. It's just my early observations. Its an opinion. Deal with it. 

All I'm saying is watch the next 5-10 games and see for yourselves. Does he "nearly" make a tackle/pass/chance or is it consistent enough for a top club?

Does his side of the pitch give up more opportunity for the other teams to attack?

What "could" we be like if we put Mane back over there?

I remember when Klavan fist played, everyone was wanking into a new balance sock about how boss he was but once the dust settled, his  shitness shone through. Personally i see early warning sign's with Salah but i hope im wrong and you're all right.

Stay humble mother fuckers. Nobody wins a war on the internetz for being right or wrong. I'd like to see some counter arguments over the coming weeks as to why im completely wrong on this. For once i hope i am. 

Was ok with this till the Klavan bit, sort of like saying do you want cheese on this butty or shit ?

Not the same and leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

His post and your username, fits like a glove.

Salah and Mane have been quality this season, a cut above everyone else.   

I think he needs to be switched over to the left. He's got no power in his shots and isn't clinical enough. The problem is confounded by the fact he constantly finds himself on his right foot after beating the full back around the outside where he uses his pace. He then finds himself having to cut back or open his body up to shoot on his left which has pretty much failed every time I've seen him do it. The odd time he's stabbed at it with his left which has looked the weakest of all.

I think if he was on the left he be either creating a chance more comfortably or shooting across the ball. It's such a basic thing I hope we don't see him there most of the season before Klopp properly considers switching it (and I mean properly not for the odd 5 mins in games).

Getting away from the negatives though I think he's a good signing regardless and exactly what we needed. When Mane isn't there we need another wide player with pace even if it's just to create space and have a threat in behind. Despite him not being clinical he's not a shithouse either. He challenges for headers, closes down and will put himself in those goal scoring positions even though he will know himself he's not clinical.

Yeah...when he scored that breakaway goal v arsenal he ran down more left than right and looked much more comfortable with his finish - buried it with ease.

Imagine if that was more right side he'd have probably fluffed it.

Some of the missed chances are frustrating but he's a bit like Cavani in that he creates so much for himself with his movement. And then like with Cavani, he gets a bad rap because he's bound to miss some of them.

Doesn't mean he's a bad player or that he should change anything about his game. It's not a coincidence that he gets so many clear-cut opportunities. He makes it happen.

Yeah...when he scored that breakaway goal v arsenal he ran down more left than right and looked much more comfortable with his finish - buried it with ease.

Imagine if that was more right side he'd have probably fluffed it.

Pearce has just quoted Klopp saying "Roberto, Phil and Alex can all play left" so it's not happening any time soon. Shame really I think he would suit it more. He just looks uncomfortable cutting back in. He's scoring goals because he's a good player. I don't think it's got much to do with him specifically being on the right wing.

We wouldn´t be discussing any perceived weaknesses if our defenders were not shit and had we won the match.

Shit defending is causing a lot of us to blame the forwards on NOT getting us 5 nil up by halftime.

They've been getting discussed since he signed. Nobody is saying they need to be 5-0 up at half time or that they need to score every chance. We do, however, set up very attackingly and leave our defence more exposed as a result. If that's going to continue we do need to be more clinical and take the pressure off the defence by getting a two goal cushion when we are all over teams. The most obvious way for me is figuring out a way of getting Salah to convert more of the chances he's getting.

• Upvote 1

At present, he needs 3 chances to score. I'm pretty relaxed about it although, obviously, if he can improve on that we will all be delighted.

I was watching a Sky programme celebrating Messi's 500 goals for Barca the other day and noticed he scored a large number from the right. Usually, he'd line up to curl a left footer into the far corner and then drag it inside the near post. Thought at the time Mo could profit from that move.

Hope he frequents this Forum

I'm really not seeing the logic on him being on the left, cutting in onto his weak foot. If it's to go the line and forget about cutting in, then forget it, thankfully he's not Stewart Downing and we don't play that way.

We scored a pretty good goal with Moreno getting to the byline the other night. As has already been said if you bothered to read any of the posts he goes around the outside of his man a lot because his main asset for beating men is his burst of pace. He then finds himself through on goal or hitting the byline on his right foot.

It looks awkward and he's struggled to do anything in that position because of it. If he was on the left he could play a cross or a pass earlier or even shoot across the ball instead of doing that outside of the foot pass back he's tried.

When teams block out the middle of the pitch to stop us playing we need width and we need it from attacking players not just from full backs who aren't natural in that position. There's nothing wrong with getting to byline and crossing a ball. It doesn't make you Wimbledon.

Even the Blueshite have dissed this fraud out!

Steve0 said: ↑

One massively deflected goal hasn't really changed my mind tbh. Did you watch the City game? Some of our fans have a go at Bolasie's crossing, this guy wouldn't get out of Goodison alive if he fluffed that many chances.

Without his pace he'd be playing in the Vauxhall Conference.

He is basically their Aaron Lennon