You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Pace alone isn't much use against other pacy players or teams defending deep. We have seen plenty of pacey players struggle to make a consistent impact e.g., Aaron Lennon, Mark Gonzalez, Djibril Cisse, etc. However, you can't argue against his stats, I accept that he had a very productive year. I'm still not convinced however that's he's the right player for us.

I don't think anybody suggested that pace alone is much use; the point I made was that he has more in his locker than that. That said, and I agree of course, even though pace alone is not enough, the importance of having pace as a contributory attribute for an attacking player - especially a wide attacking player - should not be underestimated. It's incredibly valuable. 

If you add end product in terms of many goals and many assists to that pace, along with a good work ethic, then you have a good player. If Klopp is convinced that he's worth the £30m or more that we would have to pay for him, then I'm certainly looking forward to see how much he can offer next season. I watched him before he joined Chelsea and then wiped him from my memory. 

I don't think anybody suggested that pace alone is much use; the point I made was that he has more in his locker than that. That said, and I agree of course, even though pace alone is not enough, the importance of having pace as a contributory attribute for an attacking player - especially a wide attacking player - should not be underestimated. It's incredibly valuable.

If you add end product in terms of many goals and many assists to that pace, along with a good work ethic, then you have a good player. If Klopp is convinced that he's worth the £30m or more that we would have to pay for him, then I'm certainly looking forward to see how much he can offer next season. I watched him before he joined Chelsea and then wiped him from my memory.

I've only seen him for Chelsea, and a couple of videos in the last week or so. If he turns out crap I'm blaming you.

I've only seen him for Chelsea, and a couple of videos in the last week or so. If he turns out crap I'm blaming you.

Ach, I make no claims about whether or not he's going to do well. I was just objecting to the idea that he's not got more in his proverbial locker than pace and industriousness. What I do know is that we need a squad with depth, he would certainly add that. Whether that's worth the money, I guess that's up to the manager. I'm glad I'm not making the call. 

Seems weird we are making enquiries (if we are) about an alternative to salah, who has a supposed buy out clause of 52 million euros when Roma value Salah at 40 million euros!

Why?

It depends how closely they have each player graded, contract length, respective wages, no club gauges the cost of a player on transfer fee alone.

Why?

It depends how closely they have each player graded, contract length, respective wages, no club gauges the cost of a player on transfer fee alone.

Why!? Because Salah is supposedly first pick. The fee roma want for him is reported 40m euros some 12m euros less than for the second pick.

Why would anyone pay up to 12m euros more for a second choice player than they would for their first choice?

OK, some may try and argue salah and the other lad are both first picks but that's clearly not the case given the amount of pushing the club has been doing over Salah.

Why!? Because Salah is supposedly first pick. The fee roma want for him is reported 40m euros some 12m euros less than for the second pick.

Why would anyone pay up to 12m euros more for a second choice player than they would for their first choice?

OK, some may try and argue salah and the other lad are both first picks but that's clearly not the case given the amount of pushing the club has been doing over Salah.

52 million is his buyout fee, every report on the player says he's expected to go for less than that so, as I said, it comes down to the cost of the total package and how closely they have the players rated.

They could have the players neck and neck in terms of ability, they could think Salah is the better player now but Martins has a higher ceiling, they could think that Salah is the better player overall but there's not a lot in it.

Terms of the deal could be better with one player or the other, there's a million and one things that could affect the value of a deal beyond just the transfer fee.

Maybe value is prerequisite of ranking on the clubs shortlist. So Salah at £28m offers better value than Martins at a higher price however at similar prices they rank one more than the other. Let's not pretend to know shit none of us really have a clue about.