You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best free apps

Utorrent,XBMC and Malwarebytes are essential for me and will be installed shortly on my new laptop too.

Yeh, I use utorrent and Malwarebytes all the time too mate, but what is XBMC ? Never heard of that.

I also really like CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller, Peerblock and the free Mozilla stuff, Thunderbird and Sunbird, every bit as good as MS Office and free.

Yeh, I use utorrent and Malwarebytes all the time too mate, but what is XBMC ? Never heard of that.

I also really like CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller, Peerblock and the free Mozilla stuff, Thunderbird and Sunbird, every bit as good as MS Office and free.

These are two I should also have mentioned but you are well ahead of me.

Sorry to hijack your thread CD but I hope I can relate to your advice a little bit.

Ive also got a new laptop and I'm switching from xp to windows 8 and have been using Outlook Express for years and have saved a few files worth of emails with important stuff in them and wanted to know if anybody knew how I can swap them over from one laptop with xp to the new one with windows 8?

Ta.

Sorry mate, can't really help even though I've just jumped from XP to Win 8.1 myself. There was no way I was gonna shell out for MS Office and the Mozilla Thunderbird and Sunbird programs I downloaded are fantastic equivalents.

One thing  would strongly urge you to do though is to create and log in with a Local Account. The grief I (and loads of others evidently) have had with Windows roaming log in's (which you need for their app store) is nowt short of disgraceful.

Log into your machine with a local account, but then log into the Windows account just for the app store and access to the skydrive, whatever you do DON'T use your windows account as your default when you're logging into your new lappy.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hijack your thread CD but I hope I can relate to your advice a little bit.

Ive also got a new laptop and I'm switching from xp to windows 8 and have been using Outlook Express for years and have saved a few files worth of emails with important stuff in them and wanted to know if anybody knew how I can swap them over from one laptop with xp to the new one with windows 8?

Ta.

Can you not just email them to your "new" email address or save them to a USB and upload them that way ?

Can you not just email them to your "new" email address or save them to a USB and upload them that way ?

I was hoping for a quicker solution tbh and was a bit worried that they might be in a file format that the new programs dont understand.

CD,what is this local account thing you are talking about mate?

Ive registered a microsoft account on it but nothing more as Ive only used it once as I'm waiting for an external HDD to arrive to help me transfer all my files across as quickly as possible.

Ta.

Microsft Cloud mate

• Upvote 1

Ta.

You should be able to drag and drop them out of Outlook Express, but you're correct to say that file format would be an issue with other email clients. They're even different from Outlook Express and paid-for Outlook (.eml and .msg if i remember rightly).

You MIGHT be able to 'Save As' the format you'll be using in future, but that'll be as much of a hassle as emailing them to yourself.

Another option is (obviously I don't know the details) if you're talking about a gmail/hotmail/whatever account that you've added to Express; go to the web-based client and see if it's an IMAP email protocol. If it is, then you can just add the account on the new lappy and your emails will sync anyway.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Windows 8(.1) is fucking SHITE. However, I need it to play games. Luckily, that's all I need it for. I don't think I could use Windows 8 - or any version - on a daily basis for anything other than launching games. It's pretty wank.

Windows 8(.1) is fucking SHITE. However, I need it to play games. Luckily, that's all I need it for. I don't think I could use Windows 8 - or any version - on a daily basis for anything other than launching games. It's pretty wank.

It can be exactly like 7 if you want it to be its a piece of piss to sort out.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It can be exactly like 7 if you want it to be its a piece of piss to sort out.

Well, it can't be 'exactly' like 7, but the difference between the two doesn't bother me. I did use various applications to change back the start menu and bring back transparency, but it was sketchy on 8.1. I've since done a clean instal. Wouldn't bother doing it again, as I say it's just a game launcher as far as I'm concerned.

Well, it can't be 'exactly' like 7, but the difference between the two doesn't bother me. I did use various applications to change back the start menu and bring back transparency, but it was sketchy on 8.1. I've since done a clean instal. Wouldn't bother doing it again, as I say it's just a game launcher as far as I'm concerned.

What do you mean sketchy??? Its all good for me i use I orbit, dont have to see the Metro.