You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea Away - 29/12/2013

Xherdan

We've played City, Arsenal and Chelsea away from home and we've lost them all. Not good enough.

Not good enough for what? What did you honestly expect at the home of the league leaders, the side that's yet to even draw a home game and a team with a manager that's never lost at home?

It's poor if you think we were going to win the league, but that was a pipedream brought about by other sides shitting the bed and a close top four.

Fourth has always been the realistic expectation, and those listed games changed nothing. The losses to Hull and Southampton have far more significance.

We deserved at least a point at City and at least a point today. The officials have cost us big time. The performance today wasn't great but decisions went against us yet again and it has cost us. No need to panic but it would have been nice to get at least a point out of the two games.

Not good enough for what? What did you honestly expect at the home of the league leaders, the side that's yet to even draw a home game and a team with a manager that's never lost at home?

It's poor if you think we were going to win the league, but that was a pipedream brought about by other sides shitting the bed and a close top four.

Fourth has always been the realistic expectation, and those listed games changed nothing. The losses to Hull and Southampton have far more significance.[/quote

I pretty much agree, it was more a shot at those, and there are plenty of them, who honestly thought we were gonna challenge, wer're not even close.

This thread has already got as many pages as Spurs away. Everyone loves a good moan.

Disappointing result and frustrating we picked up two injures but a point off 4th with half a season to go, I would have taken that at the start of the season. Let's get some players in early and push on. We can do it. 

King Emnlyn not good enough?

We were better than City and should have won, but the ref stopped us. Today we should get at least a point. But again the referee worked his magic.

The FA is corrupt and they want to stop us from getting into the Top 4.

I think you might be displaying sarcasm? Am I correct? Anyway have a good new year all , see you next year sometime.

If the officiating in our last two games was up to scratch, we'd be 2 points better off, but more importantly, Chelsea and Citeh would be 2 points each worse off, keeping us nicely in the mix.

As it stands, we are still up there, but what worries me the most is that we keep piling up injuries in vital positions of the team and have absolutely no cover. Any news on Sakho and Allen?

I'd hate it if fathead gets anything at all when we play his team in a couple of days time - I'd be absolutely fucking livid!

If the officiating in our last two games was up to scratch, we'd be 2 points better off, but more importantly, Chelsea and Citeh would be 2 points each worse off, keeping us nicely in the mix.

As it stands, we are still up there, but what worries me the most is that we keep piling up injuries in vital positions of the team and have absolutely no cover. Any news on Sakho and Allen?

I'd hate it if fathead gets anything at all when we play his team in a couple of days time - I'd be absolutely fucking livid!

If we dont get 3 points from that game, then we will seriously be in the shite.

Comprehensive loss. 

Say what you will about Mourinho, but his teams are well coached.

Up against a well organised side, we'd either have to better tactically or have more individual quality. We had neither.

Fair play to Chelsea, they were miles better than us today*

*Saving my "The sky is falling, we are shite, we'll be playing in the championship next"  response for after Hull.

Well done Brad Smith, just saw an interview with the lad and you could see how proud he was to make his first team debut after coming back from a terrible injury.

Not easy making your debut losing away to a very good chelsea side playing with twelve men.

great moment for the lad but fucking hell he was dropped right in it by Brendan and apart from one ball down the line for suarez nothing came off for the lad.

baptism of fire or what!

The Brazilian commentators said that with so many Brazilians on the pitch today Scolari must be watching. That would explain Willian, who played a blinder for them.

Ours were shit. There's no doubt that Coutinho has skill, if he didn't he wouldn't have wound up at Inter and with us. What he lacks is garra - he just doesn't get stuck in enough for a league or game like this.

Lucas is just past it.

What a shit weekend. Every other team at the top managed to grind out a win and we lose.

Very disappointing first half. Got the early goal but they just completely dominated us after that. Disappointing again from Mignolet for the second goal. Not exactly a howler but the sort of shot you would expect a top class goalkeeper to save.

Second half wasn't bad but there didn't seem to be any real belief in the side we could get an equaliser. Suarez had a quiet game and seemed to be getting more and more frustrated with the decisions and poor final passes from teammates and unfortunately once again no one else was able to step up and produce something instead. Coutinho had some good moments and Sterling looked good until it came to actually producing a final pass or cross. What the hell is wrong with Johnson at the moment? His defending is bad enough but what's going on with his attacking play? Every time he gets the ball he seems to be completely in 2 minds over what to do with it and just ends up standing there doing nothing with it until he eventually gives it away.

And yet we'd still have got something from that game if it hadn't been for Webb. The foul from Terry on Suarez would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch but to be fair it's the sort of thing most refs won't give a penalty for so I wasn't really surprised we didn't get that one. But how on earth he couldn't give the second one when he was a couple of yards away and staring right at it is beyond me. Having seen the replays of the Etoo challenge early on too that could quite easily be a red. The decisions that went against us at City, the none red card for Mirallas's challenge in the derby and the decisions today - those go for us and we could quite easily have had 5 points from 3 vital away games instead of 1 and be in a great position in the league right now.

We're still only a point off fourth and play most of the big teams at home in the second half of the season (where refs might be less inclined to fuck us over) but it could go either way really with so many other teams competing. A win over Hull on Wednesday is absolutely essential and it won't be easy with all the injuries piling up and them full of confidence after a big win at the weekend. Steve Bruce also seems to have some sort of jinx over us as whatever mediocre team he seems to be in charge of at the time seems to have some uncanny habit of fluking some result against us.

I'm a little surprised by some of the negative reaction to today.

In two very tough fixtures we have scored, and been beaten only by the odd goal, agaisnt two squads who have enjoyed substantially more investment over a longer period than ours. We were beaten, but not outclassed,in  both games.

We have shown that we can compete with the best, and both games could have turned out diffferentlly if key refereeing decisions had gone our way. Realistically, fifth was going to be a step forwards this season and offering a return to Euro football, and we are on course for that. of course we night do better than that, but narrowly losing to City and Chelsea away is no disaster,being one point off the CL spots a big achievement with the pronise of better to come.

I'm a little surprised by some of the negative reaction to today.

In two very tough fixtures we have scored, and been beaten only by the odd goal, agaisnt two squads who have enjoyed substantially more investment over a longer period than ours. We were beaten, but not outclassed,in  both games.

We have shown that we can compete with the best, and both games could have turned out diffferentlly if key refereeing decisions had gone our way. Realistically, fifth was going to be a step forwards this season and offering a return to Euro football, and we are on course for that. of course we night do better than that, but narrowly losing to City and Chelsea away is no disaster,being one point off the CL spots a big achievement with the pronise of better to come.

The Europa league only serves to fuck up our league campaign though. The extra revenue isn't substantial enough to really increase buying ability and it's not prestigious enough to increase our attractiveness to other players. The only good thing to come from it is that the 2015 will have the winners qualify for the CL.