You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How old were you when we last won the league?

Sugar Ape

I was nine. Living in Australia in the pre-internet and satellite era it was really hard to get a real connection for the game. Basically we were fed scraps like the BBC World Service, the odd newspaper clipping and a weekly highlight show and that’s it. 

Italia 90 was the moment I developed a real interest for the game and the 92 Cup Final was the first time I watched the Reds live on TV. and by the mid 90s I was a fully fledged Red.

Just can’t wait for the moment to see Hendo raise the trophy, it will definitely be a emotional moment,

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jay H said:

I was nine. Living in Australia in the pre-internet and satellite era it was really hard to get a real connection for the game. Basically we were fed scraps like the BBC World Service, the odd newspaper clipping and a weekly highlight show and that’s it. 

Italia 90 was the moment I developed a real interest for the game and the 92 Cup Final was the first time I watched the Reds live on TV. and by the mid 90s I was a fully fledged Red.

Just can’t wait for the moment to see Hendo raise the trophy, it will definitely be a emotional moment,

Imagine trying to do that in Australia from 1974 - like I did.

Sometimes, I didn't find out the result of the Saturday match until Monday's newspaper.

And a possible Match of the Day replay of a game might have been on the Monday week, 8 days later - at the earliest.

Now, I take lying on the couch or in bed in the middle of the night, watching it live on my laptop, for granted - a bit like I took our winning things for granted when I was a kid.

Mind you, there's no technological thrill today that comes close to comparing with picking up a live BBC FA Cup Semi-Final broadcast on short wave radio.

• Upvote 2

I was 19. Last game of the season v Coventry at Highfield Road. Pre match in the big park by the ground was brilliant. Everyone was pissed and having a great time, lovely sunny day too. Won the game 5-1, Barnes got a hattrick. Then into Town when we got back to carry on the celebrations. In the Cavern that night, one of the best nights ever. The celebrations carried onto Mathew St after last orders. Good times. 

9 hours ago, skaro said:

I think there's only a few days between us, isn't there?

Aren't you December or January?

I am about a week older than yourself,sorry 9 days I believe as you are a Boxing Day baby. On my birthday,a Saturday,we played and beat Bolton,I think,1-0 at Anfield.

14 and had grown up with us winning everything so probably didn’t appreciate it as much as I should’ve. Little did I know then what we were in for with the Mancs and Ferguson going on to dominate like we did in the 70s and 80s.

There have been times when I’ve wondered if I would ever live to see us win another one. Will enjoy this one so fucking much if we win it.

5 hours ago, El Rojo said:

12. I thought those days would never end and I never wondered what had happened Gary Cooper.

Got this the previous Christmas, and a replacement around 2008 when Adidas reissued it.

7364a414_grande.jpg?v=1573644611

I remember the first time I saw this was on the cover of Shoot magazine with Dalglish wearing it to advertise it.  I assumed it was a wind up. I was disgusted.  I still am.  Horrific shirt.   

• Upvote 2

We won it obviously on the Saturday v QPR.

Remember leaving work early on the Tuesday night and heading to Anfield for game v Derby when we got presented with the trophy.

Queued up for ages for Kop down Kemlyn Rd and thought we might not get in, but we did.

Game was shite, but did not matter.

Gary Gillespie scored only goal of game - I recall The Kop chating 'Danny DeVito' and 'One Blackpool Tower' when Derby brought Kevin Francis on.

'Stolen property, Stolen property, give us back our Championship' rang out often!

The King came on for last 15 mins or so for his last appearance - Jocky did a 'John Terry' years before that twat did and came out in full kit to lift trophy!

If you would have told me that night that it would be 30 years until we won it again I would have laughed at you.

• Upvote 1

On 02/03/2020 at 07:59, skaro said:

Sometimes, I didn't find out the result of the Saturday match until Monday's newspaper.

And a possible Match of the Day replay of a game might have been on the Monday week, 8 days later - at the earliest.

Now, I take lying on the couch or in bed in the middle of the night, watching it live on my laptop, for granted - a bit like I took our winning things for granted when I was a kid.

Mind you, there's no technological thrill today that comes close to comparing with picking up a live BBC FA Cup Semi-Final broadcast on short wave radio.

I arrived in '69. All they had was in the Monday morning Sydney Morning Herald, buried away with all the other sports about 4 pages from the back. Maybe 2 or 3 paragraphs if you were lucky. It was all rugby fucking league (all Sydney teams then) and sodding horse racing - right down to every milk horse running in a cow paddock. Even when they did start showing  a highlights show or the cup final, it was all black and white until colour came in in the late 70s. I got my first (mega expensive) colour set to watch the 1978 World Cup.

6 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I arrived in '69. All they had was in the Monday morning Sydney Morning Herald, buried away with all the other sports about 4 pages from the back. Maybe 2 or 3 paragraphs if you were lucky. It was all rugby fucking league (all Sydney teams then) and sodding horse racing - right down to every milk horse running in a cow paddock. Even when they did start showing  a highlights show or the cup final, it was all black and white until colour came in in the late 70s. I got my first (mega expensive) colour set to watch the 1978 World Cup.

To be fair, it wasnt much better in English papers back then in the late 60s. I can well remember in the Daily Mirror a couple of 'lesser' mid week Division One games where we'd played the likes of Wolves and West Brom, the 'match report' was literally 2 column inches. It effectively said who scored and that was it, none of the stuff like now.

Back page used to be the sports headlines, generally football but also horse racing stuff. The inside back page was mainly football stuff but again, shared with other sports such as rugby league and a bit of athletics. The next 2 pages in were all horse racing meetings and stuff. It was pretty shit back then.

On 29/02/2020 at 22:28, chrisbonnie said:

Only 9 I think

And oddly enough, I don't remember it, but yet remember losing to arsenal the year before with that late Michael Thomas goal. 

Mad isn't it

Exactly the same age and memories, I also remember losing the FA cup final to Wimbledon. First trophy I remember was the FA cup win against Sunderland and hating all the pundits backing us and convinced we'd win easily because it reminded me of the Wimbledon final

I was 34. A young man still playing every satdee - didn't get my sezzie for another 4 years. Not telling you how old I am now.

My son was born in 1992. He has seen us win everything in his lifetime - present for all save the 2001 UEFA Cup - except the Championship. Assuming the rest of this season pans out as we hope (and I still cannot sing "We're gonna win the league") I will die happy.

• Upvote 1

On 02/03/2020 at 00:40, Colt Seavers said:

12..  funny my 11 year old was in bits when we lost yesterday and I told him he should think himself lucky because when I was his age...then I realised it was the 88 side.

Im older than I thought

I had the same talk with my 11 years old son. I thing he cried more in 30 mn that he did for years. Somehow that was funny and moving. I’m a very bad dad. 

On 02/03/2020 at 01:59, skaro said:

Mind you, there's no technological thrill today that comes close to comparing with picking up a live BBC FA Cup Semi-Final broadcast on short wave radio

Not sure mate, we’re getting soft but I appreciate watching games once or twice a week on tv. We listened to the radio for the Crystal  Palace game, the 4-3, that was great but a bit frustrated though.

6 hours ago, Remmie said:

Exactly the same age and memories, I also remember losing the FA cup final to Wimbledon. First trophy I remember was the FA cup win against Sunderland and hating all the pundits backing us and convinced we'd win easily because it reminded me of the Wimbledon final

I don't remember the Wimbledon one to be honest. But I remember the one we beat Everton when Aldridge missed a penalty like it was yesterday. 

But Cup final day as a kid was brilliant. The buzz watching grandstand from 12 until kick off at 3 was just fantastic 

27 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I don't remember the Wimbledon one to be honest. But I remember the one we beat Everton when Aldridge missed a penalty like it was yesterday. 

But Cup final day as a kid was brilliant. The buzz watching grandstand from 12 until kick off at 3 was just fantastic 

I think you remember more about Wimbledon than you say....

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Arnaud said:

Not sure mate, we’re getting soft but I appreciate watching games once or twice a week on tv. We listened to the radio for the Crystal  Palace game, the 4-3, that was great but a bit frustrated though.

Trust me, listening to it would have been better than being there - like I was.

• Upvote 1