You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luis Suarez signs new contract

Gnasher

What a great signing by Kenny Dalglish! Some people drone on about the other signings but, just how much is Suarez worth to the club?

Thank you The King!

And thanks Rafa for sending Kenny to scout him.

And mustn't forget Woo whose fawning over Suarez no doubt alerted Rafa's guy who used to read the football forums for him.

• Upvote 1

The impression I got was that those negotiations were put on the shelf for sometime toward end of the season. I reckoned Suarez will eventually sign but not before the usual haggles and ups and downs that would've kept us in suspense.

That's why when I first read the news on one website, I thought it was one of those pranks playing on our emtions. Then I had to visit three/ four of them before it really sank in.

What a coup by Brendan Rodgers to have turned it 180 degrees, from keeping an already mentally gone Suarez to getting him to sign a contract extension. Incredible feat.

A totally new ball game for LFC  now. This would give our players incalculable psychological boost and if we manage to add a couple of decent players, we're in the mix for the title, nothing less.

Pretty sure we will be signing at least one player who's ace in the January window, or it would have been hard for Suarez to commit himself so early.

I don't actually see what would have been so hard about it.

Big payrise.

Stays if he wants to. Leaves if he wants to, as long as the money's acceptable.

The contract is nothing but a conditional, notional, totally flexible and overturnable way of saying "I'm in for the long haul".

It's just a good piece of PR, mutually acceptable to both parties. Which is fine and dandy.

(Provided it's been thoroughly thought through and administered, which I'm assuming this time around it has)

• Upvote 1

He's really not all about money I think, he wants to play at best level possible, he's a fucking mad footie headcase, he needs to be no1 in everything, he'll do everything to achieve it BUT he also have a family who found new home in Liverpool and is comfortable here + he has massive support from the manager, fans, FSG and Kenny, who bought him here and stood behind him in most fucked up times. We offered him a new contract, he didn't demand it, payrise is a bonus and obvious move after such performances, we have a desire to be on top once again and it's a statement of intent to him - you can leave for a fuckload of cash and become just another top mercenary player somewhere else, or take a risk and be a legend here. Our recent form and brilliant games by the rest of lads may had encouraged him, some assurances of future class (or signed already, we don't know that) transfers too. LFC is becoming more & more attractive destination once again - young manager with vision, smart owners and transfer policy, huge and devoted fanbase and now we have best striker in the league and 3rd best player im Europe tied up for longer. The huge clause in his contract makes it a win-win situation. Good days to be a LIverpool supporter.

• Upvote 1

He's really not all about money I think, he wants to play at best level possible, he's a fucking mad footie headcase, he needs to be no1 in everything, he'll do everything to achieve it BUT he also have a family who found new home in Liverpool and is comfortable here + he has massive support from the manager, fans, FSG and Kenny, who bought him here and stood behind him in most fucked up times. We offered him a new contract, he didn't demand it, payrise is a bonus and obvious move after such performances, we have a desire to be on top once again and it's a statement of intent to him - you can leave for a fuckload of cash and become just another top mercenary player somewhere else, or take a risk and be a legend here. Our recent form and brilliant games by the rest of lads may had encouraged him, some assurances of future class (or signed already, we don't know that) transfers too. LFC is becoming more & more attractive destination once again - young manager with vision, smart owners and transfer policy, huge and devoted fanbase and now we have best striker in the league and 3rd best player im Europe tied up for longer. The huge clause in his contract makes it a win-win situation. Good days to be a LIverpool supporter.

It's Liverpool FC mate, not Suarez FC.

I can't understand such conclusion after this post mate, everything done so far in the Suarez situation is for the best to the future of our club and Suarez is a key part to it in this situation, I can't see a bad thing in him signing a new contract at all, I'd say it's been all about Liverpool and not some player's whims since the Summer and a statement, that no one is bigger than the club, not even Mr Suarez. I've just pointed out the reasons for him why to not look for fulfillment in another club.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I was trying to be ironic.

Some of the shit levelled at Suarez is ridiculous because

a. Liverpool is not his hometown club

b. The only reason we got him was because he's a headcase.

Personally I hope he's involved in another controversy because it's more likely to keep him here.

Marca already claiming a 75m (€/£;?) clause. Interesting to see what our answer will be to that.

It would be interesting to know if we have a clause excluding Premiership teams.

Brilliant that he signed so quickly. A drawn out process would have hung over the club and overshadowed things on the pitch. I bet the papers are pissed off it didnt drag on.

The only thing this ensures is that we'll get closer to his market value come the summer. The form he's in, I'm not so sure yesterday's news is particularly good for the club. At least before he signed the contract we could guarantee he'd be here for at least 2 and a half years..... It doesn't comfort me to know we can get £70 million plus for him, just look at Tottenham. It's far easier being a success by keeping these type of players.

• Upvote 1

The only thing this ensures is that we'll get closer to his market value come the summer. The form he's in, I'm not so sure yesterday's news is particularly good for the club. At least before he signed the contract we could guarantee he'd be here for at least 2 and a half years..... It doesn't comfort me to know we can get £70 million plus for him, just look at Tottenham. It's far easier being a success by keeping these type of players.

But you don't know how the contract is made up, the only people that do are Suarez, his agent and those at the club that need to know. There might not be a buyout clause, if there is it might be out of reach of most clubs. Barcelona and Real are being investigated regarding state funding, maybe they won't be able to throw £80m plus at a player ?

Anything you read regarding a clause is likely to be nonsense.

How anyone can turn this into a negative is beyond me.

I'd be amazed if he signed a two yr extension without any 'get out' clauses. In reality no one knows. After all the shenanigans in the summer do you think he'd have just signed a two yr extension without cast iron clauses? Like I said, great we potentially get a massive fee for him.... I'd rather have a striker scoring 17 goals in 11 games than a pot of money.

• Upvote 1

I'd be amazed if he signed a two yr extension without any 'get out' clauses. In reality no one knows. After all the shenanigans in the summer do you think he'd have just signed a two yr extension without cast iron clauses? Like I said, great we potentially get a massive fee for him.... I'd rather have a striker scoring 17 goals in 11 games than a pot of money.

and I'd rather have a striker scoring 17 goals in 11 games on a 4 year contract than a 2 year one

get a grip

• Upvote 1

Assuming the numbers are accurate then Suarez is the only player on the team whose wages are known to all.

Seems a bit unfair. One of the smartest things that Gary Neville said was that players' wages should be made public, as they are in American sports. Suarez will be out there with everybody knowing what he earns, so should the rest of the players.