You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What do you think of our American owners?

WhiskeyJar

Our American Owners  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of our American owners?

• Had my reservations at first but they have come good. They let the manager get on with things, do not intervene and so far they have backed Rodgers.
    • Still not sure about them, they seem ok thus far but only time will tell.
    • They make me nervous, as we have still loads of things pending ie the stadium.
    • They do not have my support and want them gone.

Why is it?

This is my thoughts:

Not saying everything I put below is right.  But It clearly shows what a mess we were as a club before they arrived and given the club has improved in nearly every aspect since then - surely they deserve some credit!

They have done a really good job - actually superb if you look at it closely.

Let's remember the squad we had when they arrived.  It included Konchesky, Poulsen, Degan, Soto, Ngog, Jovanovic, Aquilani, Joe Cole, El Zhar etc.

Even one of our star players didn't want to be here in Torres and we didn't have many stars at the time.

Not only that we had Hodgson as our manager, the brand of football was awful, the performances no better and we were way down the league table.

So things on the pitch were bleak!

Off the pitch the club had debt thanks to Hicks / Gillett - two cunts who deserve all the criticism they get!

Our fan base had been really hurt, the club was a mess from top to bottom and people were understandably fearing new American owners.

So what have we seen since?

They sacked Hodgson and brought back a legend to hopefully stabilise the club and Dalglish did do that in really tough circumstances, winning a trophy along the way.

They gave the managers financial backing.  Dalglish got £110 million to spend.  Rodgers has spent £94 million (according to http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-1).

So in five transfer windows we have spent over £200 million on new players.  But what makes that even more impressive is we got hardly any money back from many of the players I listed above.   Actually we had to pay off many of the players such as Jovanovic, due to their ridiculous wages.

Commercially we seem to be growing off the pitch all the time.  

I didn't like the way they sacked Dalglish, but at least they have brought him back to the club (or not blocked Rodgers from bringing him back), so they must still be on relatively good terms.

They also appointed Rodgers, which seems to have been an inspired choice.  I didn't think Rodgers had the CV for the job.  But I have been delighted with him so far and I don't think anyone can't be given we are top of the league.

The club all seem to be together, pulling in the same direction and the owners, even Ayre needs to get some credit for this - not just the players and Rodgers.

I often see people criticising them for reducing the wage bill.  I don't see how that is negative, some of the wages were ridiculous for players who were not earning what they were getting.  
I think they are trying to pay players what they deserve.  As a result the expensive flops have gone, such as Carroll and Joe Cole.  But wage increases have gone to Sterling, Suarez (twice), Shelvey (when he was here), Skrtel, Agger etc.  That's the way it should be!

Our house is in good order and I think some people should feel ashamed of some of the criticism and abuse - yes abuse, these owners got!  Being cautious about them was perfectly understandable, but many assumed they were bad for the club, with little evidence.

They have made some mistakes - The Chang appointment, Comolli coming, the initial treatment of Dalglish as he was sacked.  But they have reacted quickly if they have made mistakes.  Sacking Chang, Comolli and welcoming Dalglish back to the club.   

There is still a lot of work to do.  They need to complete the new stadium, they need to keep backing Rodgers financially in the transfer windows, they need to stay strong in the summer like they were last summer when the big clubs come for Suarez.  But if you step back and look where we were when they took over, to where we are now - I think we have to say they have done an excellent job.

We are on the way back and they deserve as much credit as Rodgers and the players for getting us back in the mix and the club back on track.

Start by trying to understand why some people would rather retain a healthy cynicism when it comes to the owners of the club without trying to frame things in such black and white terms.

Unfortunately I know all of your views Coro.

I've read the SOS threads.

I am quite glad the stadium issue is not being hurried into and dont see it as as big an issue as most. We need onfield stability and relative success before we undertake a project that almost always impacts funds,either directly or indirectly.

Arsenal are the classic example as they managed to have relative success but were put under a lot of stress for lacking more ambition in the transfer market while continuing to qualify for the CL. Although,like i said,it wasnt considered good enough inside the club and outside too.

Its a tricky situation and one which needs brilliant planning to work.

You would say that, you massive wum.

Wum? Nah, I'm not a wum. I might be an opinionated twat, but I'm definitely not a wum. I suppose you could say I'm contrary sod in as much as I often find myself disagreeing with the consensus or doing the opposite of what lots of people do. For example, I don't have a facebook or twitter account, seldom watch television (my telly has been packed away in the spare room since summer) and didn't have a smartphone until as recently as last year. The word trolling just gets on my tits a bit (I've even heard kids say it in the pub, I thought it was just an internet thing) . I'm not entirely sure why, it just sounds shit.

Wum? Nah, I'm not a wum. I might be an opinionated twat, but I'm definitely not a wum. I suppose you could say I'm contrary sod in as much as I often find myself disagreeing with the consensus or doing the opposite of what lots of people do. For example, I don't have a facebook or twitter account, seldom watch television (my telly has been packed away in the spare room since summer) and didn't have a smartphone until as recently as last year. The word trolling just gets on my tits a bit (I've even heard kids say it in the pub, I thought it was just an internet thing) . I'm not entirely sure why, it just sounds shit.

Fuck sake, Tony. I was doing a funny.

They need to develop a plan, a strategy on infiltrating the FA. They need to protect the Club, the fans, the manager and their investment. We need a person or two in there to promote the Club's interests.

It's quite obvious that the current FA status quo, won't let us challenge for a Top 4 spot let a lone for the title.

• 3 weeks later...

72941_10151849424382019_1499255864_n.jpg John Henry and the lovely, lovely Linda popped into the disabled supporters' section before the match yesterday, just to have a chat with the fans - as you do.

Here's an interesting thought experiment - what would have happened if Randolph and Mortimer had tried this?  My best guess is that people would have risen from their wheelchairs, by the healing powers of hatred, to give them both a fucking good kicking. 

• Upvote 2