You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

AVB Sacked

J-V

I couldnt help but think when I saw levy in the crowd yesterday that he was thinking he should have got rodgers instead, there were noises they wanted him before us and Im glad they didnt get him.

I think its harsh though, before yesterdays game spurs had there second best points tally for that point in the season in the prem and have also qualified europa and are in quarter final of league cup, the players clearly need more time to gel maybe his sacking is down to his comments about who signed the players in the summer.

Could you possibly have two more contrasting managers?

One 85 year old budgie with psoriasis, who's greatest achievement in 62 years of management was winning a tin of tuna in Greenland. The other a man who won the quadruple when he was barely shaving.

Fucking hell. I'm glad they've got rid. Long term he could have been good, maybe not. This'll definitely destabilise them further though, and they're likely to replace him with a has been or a never has been.

Some funny shit right there!

The only obvious choice I can see is Laudrup.

Can't really argue with that. AVB has 5 points more than Rodgers did at the same stage last season. Another insane sacking at the hands of megalomaniacs who aren't in touch with reality.

Fuck that, he spent £100m this Summer and inherited a decent team.

Losing to us isn't a sackable offence, but losing to us 0-5 and also conceding 6 against City is pretty fucking pathetic.

He bought poorly and he panic bought, their chase of Willian, the signing of Lamela, it was just cringeworthy, they didn't need to spunk it all at once.

I think AVB needs to get out of England and go back to coaching for a bit in Portugal. He's clearly a talented manager, you don't win the Portuguese title and the UEFA Cup in your first year in charge if you're a bad manager. But he's out of his depth in the Premiership. He should step down a level and build up experience. 

• Upvote 1

They wouldn't though because Rodgers conducts himself like a sensible person, AVB doesn't. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2516401/Andre-Villas-Boas-confronts-Neil-Ashton-Tottenham-draw-2-2-Manchester-United.html

For example ^^^^^

I say fair play to him for calling out a couple of shitheads for being shitty at their job in the same way they do him.

For example, in that exchange, there is a massive difference in connotation between what one of the journalist dickheads wrote (something about AVB saying "the players should be ashamed of themselves") and what AVB claims to have actually said ("We should be ashamed of ourselves") and then the weak as piss justification from the slimeball journalist (But if you say we should feel ashamed of ourselves, you are including your group of players?").

Fuck I hate football journalists.

• Upvote 6

Yeah, he certainly had the last laugh anyway...

I trust you were this magnanimous about the shitty football journalists when they were sticking the knife into Benitez year in, year out. Journalists got the last laugh then too, didn't they?

As I said, I don't particularly think Villa Boas is all that good, but you have plenty of ammunition to use against him out on the field. Being all annoyed he had a pop at some idiots who deserved it seems weird to me.

• Upvote 2

I trust you were this magnanimous about the shitty football journalists when they were sticking the knife into Benitez year in, year out. Journalists got the last laugh then too, didn't they?

As I said, I don't particularly think Villa Boas is all that good, but you have plenty of ammunition to use against him out on the field. Being all annoyed he had a pop at some idiots who deserved it seems weird to me.

I'm hardly annoyed,  I just think that if he were in charge of us, I'd be thinking "who is this gimp and why's he getting involved in this", especially given how shit they'd been on the pitch generally.  It's totally unprofessional behaviour.  Rodgers had plenty of shite thrown at him last year near the start, as do almost all managers, but you don't want them to react like that.

Football journalists obviously are dicks, but AVB chose to start that argument in public.  Ashton is clearly a bellend, but a manager of a football club shouldn't be acting like that on the basis of a few tabloid articles.  It smacks of thin skin and desperation.

I'm hardly annoyed,  I just think that if he were in charge of us, I'd be thinking "who is this gimp and why's he getting involved in this", especially given how shit they'd been on the pitch generally.  It's totally unprofessional behaviour.  Rodgers had plenty of shite thrown at him last year near the start, as do almost all managers, but you don't want them to react like that.

Football journalists obviously are dicks, but AVB chose to start that argument in public.  Ashton is clearly a bellend, but a manager of a football club shouldn't be acting like that on the basis of a few tabloid articles.  It smacks of thin skin and desperation.

Well then, I disagree with your entire premise. I think we could use more managers and players pointing out bullshit when it's reported.

• Upvote 2

He stabbed himself without the aid of journos.

Would normally say that sacking him is premature and that Spurs should be more patient. But Spurs were tactically extremely naive yesterday. We found space behind their back four again and again, but AVB did nothing to prevent it from happening. Makes me wonder how much he really understands about football. And he seems to have lost the dressing room, they won't fight for him one bit.  

It was naive from the start, ending up in a catch22 situation really. If I’d been a Spurs fan I’d be furious with the defensive neglect, and probably rightfully so. Then again I’d be just as furious if my team had come out in the 2nd half with a more cautious approach, not even trying to put pressure on us, and end up loosing 2-0. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

We were on our front feet all night. Once we got hold of the ball we were storming them left right and center with Hendo, Luis and Sterling, aided by Flanagan and Allen and also Johnson . It was way too much for their slow defence to cope with.

What shocked me the most was the lack of interest shown from their players. They looked like they didn’t care at all. I’d be very disappointed if I was AVB. Seems to me AVB could be a good manager if he had a team of players with Suarez’ attitude. Once he has to handle players who need a kick up their asses, he doesn’t seem to have what it takes. I think the sacking was premature, but as others have said I won’t loose any sleep over it. In fact I believe the sacking might benefit us in the long run, so why would I complain.

Just hope spurs dont get that doing well when a new manager arrives.

We need them to do a little bit better. We want them to take points off the Manchester teams and win or draw their local Cockney derbies.

They will not end up in front of us, they're not good enough. So it's welcome if they can get their act together on a couple of occasions.

I'd normally say it is madness to sack someone still relatively early in the season and them not far off the pace in the league but he appears to have form in losing the dressing room.  Maybe its a personality thing with him.   They looked in total disarray yesterday.