You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

AVB Sacked

J-V

I find his comments totally offensive, he's saying that disabled people deserve to be disabled because of past life karma, which beyond being religious quakery, is actually a deeply disturbing thought process.  If you extrapolate that out, does he think kids with leukemia deserve it as well? does he think kid's like Jamie Bulger deserve to be murdered? It's equally as offensive to me as what Ron Atkinson said, maybe even more so.

I largely agree.... but....

I think he was originally trying to explain why bad things happen (which nobody can). Why is one kid born disabled and another not, or why does one get cancer and another doesn't etc.

All that stuff blows are minds because it's essentially 'unfair' (as we see it). Good people die, some nasty folks get all the luck etc etc.

So, in a sense, his rationale, however unsavoury was 'well, maybe it's karma for something bigger, something that went before' isn't all that crazy. I'm not saying it's right - it's simply a philosophical view about 'the big picture' that is life.

The problem comes that it's clearly a controversial topic, and since nobody really knows why shit happens, nobody's going to thank him for putting forward that philosophy. Nobody's going to feel better because of it, but plenty might feel worse. So, he'd have been wise to keep those views to himself and avoid a whole load of trouble.

I genuinely don't think he was 'blaming' people for this misfortunes per se, but ultimately that implication is there. Just like saying "you have a disabled child at birth because you had sex and YOU gave your child the disability". Well, in a sense, that's true for some disabilities, but it's not the right way to view things, or present them. It's not like anybody knew the outcome would be a disability.

But he was the England manager, not a philosopher, and ought to have known better. Fortunately for him, his bad karma only cost him his job.... it didn't result in disability or worse. Maybe next time around he'll pay the full price (if his views are correct).

• Upvote 2

Yeah, we should be more understanding of other people's utterly groundless beliefs. Especially when they attempt to impose them on players - many of them essentially kids - in their care.

I see, so what about players who point to the heavens to celebrate goals? Should I be concerned?

I don't recall any accounts of Hoddle indoctrinating any player, but then again, that's how they do it, all sly like.

I see, so what about players who point to the heavens to celebrate goals? Should I be concerned?

I don't recall any accounts of Hoddle indoctrinating any player, but then again, that's how they do it, all sly like.

Ray Parlour, Gary Neville, Robbie Fowler all talk of having to go and see Eileen Drewery and listen to her bollocks. Parlour made a joke of it and was never picked again. There was also the talk of energy boosting injections that were never explained.

When Frank Lampard starts requiring his teammates to devote their goals to Mamma Lampard in the Sky, I'd be concerned.

Glenn Hoddle, as national team manager, required his players to consult his choice of "spiritual healer". Required. His choice.

• Upvote 2

Glenn Hoddle, as national team manager, required his players to consult his choice of "spiritual healer". Required. His choice.

I had forgotten that bit when I quoted his bonkers views on disability last night. I wonder whether Xerxes took it into account when extolling the virtues of his managerial skills.!

When did Hoddle "impose" any beliefs on his players other than the footballing ones which made him the most successful England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey?

Didn't Bobby Robson get England to a World Cup semi-final?

And Venables got them to a Euro semi-final.

Hoddle did neither, did he? 

I suppose he won more vital friendlies perhaps.

• Upvote 4

When Frank Lampard starts requiring his teammates to devote their goals to Mamma Lampard in the Sky, I'd be concerned.

'Spiritual healer' though, not witch. Psychology is a funny thing, Hoddle felt it would work for him and he thought it might strike a chord with others, but back in 98 there wasn't the same attitude towards sports psychology, like Rodgers getting in that bloke last season.

If it works, great. If not, meh,

This is brilliant.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzPZvozEhWiTUW9NN0E0OVl1S0U/edit?pli=1

Sorry, the link seems to be broken.

Call me picky but I though it was a bit shit ..

"

Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.

Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file that you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator."