You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jon Flanagan

Jhinge Machha

Another superb game from him. He's a much better footballer than I thought too.

It's true, isn't it?

I follow the youth teams pretty closely, and when it came to Flanagan I thought he was just sort of a "meh" player who wouldn't get much time at first team level.  Robinson I would have said was miles better for the reserves.  Would have rated McLaughlin's chances higher as well.

And yet, and yet ... Flanagan got his chance, took it, and has played consistently very well ever since whenever he's called upon.  I keep waiting for the penny to drop, but we're past that point now and I think the "best fullback at the club" shout isn't far off.  Truly tremendous heart, and a half-decent footballer to boot.  Well done to him.

Why don't we try the same with Robinson.

Remember them both starting games under Kenny and looking like prospects.

In any event, the way we have "maintained" despite regularly losing players throughout the season has been really impressive.

I don't think Robinson is ready yet. Definitely give him some sub appearances but I think he will need a bit longer before he's anywhere near to where Flanagan is.

I don't think Robinson is ready yet. Definitely give him some sub appearances but I think he will need a bit longer before he's anywhere near to where Flanagan is.

thing is three months ago I reckon more people would've set Robinson was the more likely of the two to make it

Not sure Rodgers can take as much credit as some think. He only gave Flanno a chance when he had no other real choices. Most of this is purely down to the lad himself.

while this may be true, I think Rodgers does seem to improve the players mentally and it shows in thier performances. Of course the players need to want to play first but the manager showing belief rubs off big time.

Not sure Rodgers can take as much credit as some think. He only gave Flanno a chance when he had no other real choices. Most of this is purely down to the lad himself.

Yeah, probably just rolls the balls out for training Rodgers, then tucks into a sarnie and reads the paper while the kids have a kick around.

• Upvote 3

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't think that's right at all. I'm a critic of Flanno, and I think some believe he's significantly better than he actually is (for two reasons: 1) they desperately want him to be, and 2) because, like Carroll and Downing when they were praised too highly, he improved from a low starting point), but you can't deny that not only has he given a good account of himself, but also that the work that has gone on to curb his evident deficiencies is paying dividends for the boy. He does occasionally get forward and he busts a gut to get there and get back despite it not being a natural facet of his game, his positioning has improved to compensate for his lack of pace so he's no getting beaten so easily or with such regularity. These things have clearly been worked on behind the scenes, so the player, the staff and the manager deserve the credit for that.

It's a totally different affair to Sterling, though, and putting them together in the same boat as some have done is totally wrong in my opinion. Sterling is a player who quite clearly has all of the attributes and ability to be a top quality wide attacker. He has always had that ability, so when he did well at the start of last season, at the age of 17, but then dropped off it wasn't a deal breaker. Actually, that was just to be expected. Now he's maturing into a fine young player. He does still have a way to go before being world-class, though. What we've seen is the potential and likelihood that he'll reach that level. To write him off was ridiculous.

Flanno is a totally different kettle of fish. He will never be a quick, skilful right-back who beats players for fun and makes up part of the attacking unit like Alves or others, which is surely what we'll want eventually. He'll never be sought out by Barca or Bayern or City. What he has done, though, is taken what he can do, do it consistently, and worked his ball sack off to improve on the deficiencies of his game. It's hard not to like him for that. That still doesn't mean he's going to be a top right back, though. He's improved into a solid young player. He busts his bollocks for the team, too. His performance levels have been high enough to warrant his inclusion in the team at the moment. He's not a magnificent player, though, and he probably never will be. We have a propensity to overrated the performances of our young players, and the players themselves. Especially when they're local. No doubt he has done himself and the team proud, though. Flying pretty high at the moment.

Just incase Einch is wondering, that's not all a reply to him. Just a general reply to some of the things in this thread

• Upvote 1

He is developing every aspect of his game week by week, so I don't see why he can't be a first choice for us in the long term. He's only 20 and is already the best full back at the club on recent form. Plus he has the kind of commitment and determination that you just can't buy.

Flanno is a totally different kettle of fish. He will never be a quick, skilful right-back who beats players for fun and makes up part of the attacking unit like Alves or others, which is surely what we'll want eventually. He'll never be sought out by Barca or Bayern or City. What he has done, though, is taken what he can do, do it consistently, and worked his ball sack off to improve on the deficiencies of his game. It's hard not to like him for that. That still doesn't mean he's going to be a top right back, though. He's improved into a solid young player. He busts his bollocks for the team, too. His performance levels have been high enough to warrant his inclusion in the team at the moment. He's not a magnificent player, though, and he probably never will be. We have a propensity to overrated the performances of our young players, and the players themselves. Especially when they're local. No doubt he has done himself and the team proud, though. Flying pretty high at the moment.

Just incase Einch is wondering, that's not all a reply to him. Just a general reply to some of the things in this thread

Mmm.. I reckon if anything Flanagan is underrated, hence everytime he puts in a good performance he gets a special mention.

In his debut season, his first couple of games, he was very good, against the best sides in the league too if my memory serves me right. His form then dropped off, and he couldn't get a game until recently. This season he's had very good games against tough oppositions e.g., Cazorla vs Arsenal, Pienaar and Baines vs Everton, and Aaron Lennon vs Spurs (playing on the opposite side),

I do agree with you that he's neither very pacy or skillful, but if you look at our best right backs in recent years, Arbeloa, Finnan, Babbel (who I rate as the best RB I've seen playing for us) aren't either.

I suppose like any other positions on the pitch, there isn't just one way to play it. You have the likes of Alves, Johnson and Alba, pacy, skillful fullbacks who look like they can play further up the pitch with ease. Lahm, the best fullback in the world, is one of a kind. I've never seen anyone like him. Pep who have managed the likes of Messi, Iniesta & Xavi called him the most intelligent player he's ever coached. You then have the likes of Arbeloa, Ivanovic, Vertonghen who offer positional awareness, discipline, consistency and defensive solidity.

I believe Flanno belongs more the latter group, whilst he's nowhere near as good as the aforementioned players, I don't see why he shouldn't be given the chance to cement his spot. To be honest I think he deserves it having played out of his skin against the some of the most potent wide players in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think he deserves a crack, too. I just think some are seeing his performances as a little better than they actually are. If, for example, Montoya came in and gave exactly the same performances, I suspect people would be slightly unhappy. As it stands, it's a young local lad and people are desperate for him to do well - rightly so, I am too - but it anything positive turns into a world class action. 'A tackle? Fuck me, that was amazing'. Well, it was a tackle, which is good, but not earth shattering. Like I say, he has done enough - more than enough, actually - to earn a shot at keeping that position. More than Johnson has for quite a few seasons, anyway.

He's only 20

This is the key. 

Like Sterling, we need to be careful of over-stating how good or bad his performances are.

Time will tell if he makes it, and I'm certainly not prepared to say he won't.

Certainly not.

He could become twice the player he is now.

And he might not.

I'm hoping for the former, not because he's from Liverpool, but because he plays for them.

He's done better than even his most ardent admirers expected, never mind his detractors.  I've been very surprised - take away the hyperbole and he's put in some very accomplished and competent performances this season.  Long may his improvement continue.  I've got a lot of respect for players who work hard to improve, and do so.