You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fallout 4

Cardie

Any tips on levelling up, which perks to get etc? I keep exploring and getting annihilated by big scary monsters

Depends how you like to play, how you've specced your special stats, favourite class of weapons etc etc.

Regardless of style I tend to go heavy with lock picking, hacking and speech perks. The first two in particular I find more helpful early on when ammo and good weapons are limited.

This time around I've gone gun nut and armor perks for modding (which would help with your getting killed issue) plus local leader and strength perks that add to my carrying weight.

If you've given yourself low intelligence then idiot savant gives you triple xp boost.

Just don't bother doing the settlements then. I've done the absolute basics with them to continue the story and no management afterwards. I don't think it's necessary at all but if you like playing Farmville it's an option.

Or if you like plenty of access to stations, traders and resources...plus some cheap XP.

The settlement building thing is so finicky and frustrating.

Really loving the game itself now though.

Found the same until I read a tip.

Use carpets to move your structures around.

While walls and building aren't coded to phase through existing structures (even when it'd be massively usefull) if you place the structure on a carpet the engine only recognises the placement of that giving you more control.

Or if you like plenty of access to stations, traders and resources...plus some cheap XP.

Yep, set up a bank of water purifiers a decent farming system and some tier 2 or 3 shops and you'll never run out of ammo or caps again.

I'm pulling in hundreds of bottles of purified water at a time with 7 purifiers at the Castle which I can sell back to the stores in exchange for caps or supplies.

I mainly get ammo and caps off dead bodies. I'm level 46 and haven't bothered with the building side at all beyond the missions. Still using my trusty sniper rifle I made myself out of a hunting rifle I took off a supermutant at the water treatment plant early on. I haven't really needed much in the way of caps. Usually just trade dead mens weapons if I need anything.

Loads of different ways of playing this.

I mainly get ammo and caps off dead bodies. I'm level 46 and haven't bothered with the building side at all beyond the missions. Still using my trusty sniper rifle I made myself out of a hunting rifle I took off a supermutant at the water treatment plant early on. I haven't really needed much in the way of caps. Usually just trade dead mens weapons if I need anything.

Loads of different ways of playing this.

Part of the appeal of it, isn't it. I'll hammer it once then take a different angle at it on a more casual timescale.

I've jibbed the whole game off for now. I just found it depressing as fuck to play and far, far too complicated to get a handle on. The tutorial stage at the start is awful and the pop-up ‘help’ messages are gone before you get a chance to read them.

The whole building up settlements saw me shuttling between beshitted hamlets loaded with resources. Before being hooked back to where I was to sort out yet more Raider trouble.  

What got me through Fallout 3 was the scale and sense of adventure. This one has you rooting around bins all day like a fucking hobo, just so you can make a bigger pocket to carry yet more trash in.

• Upvote 1

Part of the appeal of it, isn't it. I'll hammer it once then take a different angle at it on a more casual timescale.

Lacks the game defining character choices though, playing style aside, you only get various shades of grey character wise.

You don't get to be the utter bastard you could in fallout 3 by blowing up megaton

I've jibbed the whole game off for now. I just found it depressing as fuck to play and far, far too complicated to get a handle on. The tutorial stage at the start is awful and the pop-up ‘help’ messages are gone before you get a chance to read them.

The whole building up settlements saw me shuttling between beshitted hamlets loaded with resources. Before being hooked back to where I was to sort out yet more Raider trouble.

What got me through Fallout 3 was the scale and sense of adventure. This one has you rooting around bins all day like a fucking hobo, just so you can make a bigger pocket to carry yet more trash in.

The minuteman quests are a a fucking pain, they should fix it so the quests only trigger when you're tuned in to that frequency.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to remember if Fallout 3 was so overwhelming. I haven't played a game that isn't FIFA for longer than a couple of hours in God knows long so it's all a bit 'WTF do I do?' to me at the moment. The controls are taking some getting used to too.

I feel so unprepared I'm struggling to deal with most of the enemies. I've just got done helping the people at the museum and have gone on a side-quest for the Minutemen rather than head to Diamond City.

I got it on PC...so...what do I do. What is the goal. I keep finding trash...but how do i know what to pick up?

Gonna do some reading...

Pick up stuff of value that you can sell on or use to craft weapons and that.

The main-quest is to find your son, but you're better off doing a lot of side ones to boost up your XP and perks before you tackle too much. I'm a bit lost too though, the map seems intimidatingly big and because I didn't like the idea of a companion that can't be killed I told the dog to stay and I can't remember where. Probably going to regret that later.