You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luis Suarez: The little magician

WhiskeyJar

27 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I agree Kenny seemed to get the best out of him again. But that was just a couple of weeks. I would wonder if his downing tools was broader than the owl, there was a lot of animosity between the club, Torres and Spain the way his injury he had in the run up to the world cup went. And he never seemed to be quite as explosive after that injury. I honestly think he lost his heart for football a bit during that whole period and just never got it back while he was young enough to be the same player. Only he knows that though. 

His heart was certainly no longer in it, and he clearly left Liverpool because of a head over heart decision.

That's why I said his performances at Chelsea were due to multiple reasons, not just as simple as "injuries fucked him".

I saw him live at least 3 times before he left, and he seemed back to his best. Maybe not as quick, but certainly quick enough.

27 minutes ago, PrivateParts said:

During the last couple of years of Randolph & Mortimer, Liverpool FC was not a happy place for anyone.

No doubt there were loads of problems. But I mean on a more personal level. Spain thought he should have an op from very early on - and likely because they wanted him back for the world cup all firing. LFC and their doctors were saying op should be the last resort as the chance of perfect recovery came without an op - but of course we were really struggling and we're desperate to have him on the pitch. But I think rest was the only cure without an op and we were trying to get him through the season and spain obviously feared they'd either get a semi fit player or the world cup was the opportunity for rest. In the end I am pretty sure he had to have the op anyway which meant he'd struggled through our season and wasn't properly fit for the world cup, everybody got the worst possible outcome. And if the rumours of the time I heard were true, he felt neither Spain or LFC cared at all what was in the long term interest of him and only in their short term needs. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Preston Red said:

The best player I've ever seen live at Anfield. In that, I include Stevie, Torres and Xabi.

The saddest thing I ever saw was him and Torres playing up front in that charity game the season after he left. The movement between them (even though it was a kick about) was just unreal. No team could've lived with them two and gave us a glimpse of what could've been had Torres not decided to jump ship.

Made up the Kop sung to Torres song that day. 

I only got over (well I still haven’t fully) Torres leaving when I watched Suarez tear Utd apart when we beat them 3:1. What a player. Truly unbelievable and I think we just about got the best of him even though he tore it up at Barca. If we win that title in 14 it would have been all on him. Truly superb player 

40 minutes ago, m0e said:

His heart was certainly no longer in it, and he clearly left Liverpool because of a head over heart decision.

That's why I said his performances at Chelsea were due to multiple reasons, not just as simple as "injuries fucked him".

I saw him live at least 3 times before he left, and he seemed back to his best. Maybe not as quick, but certainly quick enough.

Hard to argue with that. His fall would seem to be related to lots of things. Maybe he wasn't as quick, maybe he actually didn't want to play for Chelsea, maybe the romance of football had gone for him and he realised it was just business. There's no doubt here and obviously in Madrid he thrived from the love and worship from the stands and despite here not being Madrid he was very much at home at both clubs. That connection can't be underestimated. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Made up the Kop sung to Torres song that day. 

I only got over (well I still haven’t fully) Torres leaving when I watched Suarez tear Utd apart when we beat them 3:1. What a player. Truly unbelievable and I think we just about got the best of him even though he tore it up at Barca. If we win that title in 14 it would have been all on him. Truly superb player 

It was nice to see although it still leaves a somewhat bitter taste in the way he left.

Luis was phenomenal. Every time he got the ball you expected magic and he very rarely disappointed. 

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

As someone pointed out on here, when Haaland isn't scoring he isn't contributing anything.

Yeah, exactly. It seemed a pretty good bet when they signed him that he would score a shitload of goals while also making them worse.

You have to wonder if Guardiola is, for the first time at that club, being told who to play, because Haaland really shouldn’t be anything close to a regular starter for a machine like City.

15 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yeah, exactly. It seemed a pretty good bet when they signed him that he would score a shitload of goals while also making them worse.

You have to wonder if Guardiola is, for the first time at that club, being told who to play, because Haaland really shouldn’t be anything close to a regular starter for a machine like City.

This would be the Harland that has scored 21 goals this season? That Haaland shouldn't be a regular starter?

1 hour ago, DJLJ said:

This would be the Harland that has scored 21 goals this season? That Haaland shouldn't be a regular starter?

Yes, because they’re a worse team with him in it; this time last season City had scored more, conceded fewer and had 5 extra points on the board.

Haaland does nothing when he’s not scoring, and City’s style of play is dependent on every player doing something at all times. He robs them of their fluidity and makes them easier to play against.

It’s not even a knock on him as a player - he’s arguably as good a pure goalscorer as there’s ever been, but that doesn’t make him a fit for everyone.