You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luis Suarez: The little magician

WhiskeyJar

20:42

Bayern Munich 0-3 Real Madrid (Agg: 0-4)

Ramon Calderon, Real Madrid president between 2006 and 2009, speaking to BBC Radio 5 live about the possibility of the club signing Liverpool striker Luis Suarez: "I think we already have Karim Benzema, who is very good in the same position.

"We have really good forward players in Gareth Bale, Karim Benzema and Cristiano Ronaldo.

"I don't know if Liverpool will let him leave. Let's see what happens in the next few months."

Luis Suarez Interview With Uruguayan TV

After the PFA awards Luis Suarez did an interview over the phone to a Uruguayan TV show called Hola Vecinos. He was walking around with his wife Sofia, daughter Delfi and son Benjamin [suarez calls him "el gordo" ("the chubby one")]

Suarez: “After the Chelsea game we had to rush to London, to get the the PFA event. I was upset about the game still”

Interviewer (Rafa Cotelo) “Your wife looked beautiful Luis. The gals here at the studio want to know what designer was she wearing and you?”

Suarez: “I don’t know, we are not like that, we don’t care about designers that’s how we are. Yes, my wife looked beautiful”

(The mobile phone reception wasn’t very good for a while and interviewer told Suarez) “Maybe you can afford a better plan? or phone next time?”

Suarez: “ha ha ha, we are in a shopping centre, sorry the reception is not so good. I’m shy and I had to go up and do a little speech. I’m more comfortable when people ask me questions, my English is very bad. I knew the people I had to thank and had to mention but I made it short because of my English” [After his speech at the ceremony, Suarez went back to his table to kiss his wife, shake his team-mates hands and hug Brendan Rodgers]

Interviewer: “Luis your English sounds better now, you have to stop talking to your wife and kids and talk more with other people”

Suarez: “Ha ha ha…. well I am trying! I’m very honoured and proud to receive the PFA award, especially because my mates in football voted for me. It is very special”

(Presumably Suarez was then asked about the photo he was in with Philippe Coutinho)

Suarez: “The picture with Coutinho [and the banana] was because I didn’t like what happened, so we had to do something with Phil”

Interviewer: “Forget the bananas Luis. The emblem of SALTO [where Suarez was born] is the orange, man! You have to take a photo with an orange to promote your land”

Suarez: “Ha ha ha, yeah that would be great, but I felt I had to do something for my Brazilian team-mates, my friends”

Interviewer: “So how do you feel about the game Sunday [against Chelsea]?”

Suarez: “I’m still upset, it was so frustrating, we couldn’t find spaces and we made a mistake and it was hard to deal with. We knew the game was going to be hard and tight but it was frustrating when they were using up time. I was upset because of our mistake; we all got nervous and lost control. It was impossible to find spaces to get in”

Interviewer: “Now that you know English better did u say anything to them in English?”

Suarez: “No no, I was upset and talking in Spanish because they were using up time and I was upset about that. They (Chelsea) were using up the time since the start of the game. We are hoping Man City loses some points, but in the Premier League you never know, anything is possible. Now we have to win the next two games and it is not going to be easy”

Interviewer: “On behalf of all the Uruguayan people we would like to ask you to please be careful, we want you in one piece in June, man. If you see somebody coming towards you too hard, please take your leg away. We promise you nobody is going to think you are a coward”

Suarez: “Yes..yes that is always in the back of my head. I know, I know but the next games are very important. I have to keep everybody happy. I have a duty to my club and I am trying my best”

Interviewer: “We have seen photos of your Delfi with Lucas Leiva’s kid”

Suarez: “I know what photo you are talking about but that is an old photo from last year. Both are celebrating”

Interviewer: “There was also another photo of Delfi celebrating a goal and you were in full kit. We are worried that besides the fact that you can’t afford a decent phone plan, you can’t afford clothes..?! and your kid was wearing Nacional kit”

At this moment Suarez is laughing very loud

Suarez: “Delfi loves football and every time she goes to see Liverpool, she goes nuts. I said to Delfi ‘it’s so nice outside, would you like to come out and play?” but Delfi said ‘Wait daddy I have to change’.

She comes back in full Nacional kit [suarez’s club in Uruguay], haha and she does that to make my Sofia (her mum) upset because Sofi is a Penarol fan. Delfi then says, ‘I changed so you have to change too’. So I had to go up and change to full kit as well! Delfi scores a goal and you can see in the picture she is really into it ha ha ha”

Interviewer: “So …how are you doing with your goal scoring and spending ten minutes celebrating kissing your hand?”

Suarez: “I had to think about where I was going to put Benjamin’s name because my celebration was going to get out of control haha”

Interviewer: “Yeah it is rare to see a family man in football and also a person that is a rock star as well…you know…celebrating like that”

Suarez: “Ha ha ha ha… I am still learning several trades…”

Interviewer: “After the world cup in Brazil, if we want another interview, where should we call? England or Spain? Just think that if you move to Spain, you don’t have to learn another language!”

Suarez: “Ha ha ha…I’m very happy here and my family is happy here and don’t worry nothing is going to happen to me. If we could win the Premier League and bring the trophy home it would be incredible, a dream come true…

One time , I was told, do you know what it means for your kids to say, ‘daddy we are champions!’ That really got to me. It got to me because it hurt, that somebody would think that Uruguay is never going to be champion again. I have kept that phrase in my heart and I want to show the world, on the pitch, that we are good. I am going to work hard, to do my best to bring happiness to my people”.

Interviewer: “I don’t want to take any more of your time and keep you away from your family. Thanks Luis!”

Suarez: “But I still have two or three pounds left on my phone!”

End of interview.

A very special thank you to Laura (@lbceleste) who provided the original translation.

• Upvote 3

He's playing with an injury, perhaps two, he's phenomenal. What can you do, we're not Man City, Aspas is his replacement so Suarez is playing full games the whole season long. It's staggering how few players we've coped with but clearly we've hit the wall before we could get to the finishing post.

• Upvote 2

noel gallagher putting the boot in on suarez

That's the problem with these drugged up, rock band, celebrity smack heads - Sky or Talksport give them a platform, and they start to think their opinions on football matter.

He needs to stick to injecting himself with smack and fighting his inbred brother.