You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is something wrong with our defence

Pureblood

Are we over reacting regarding our defence? We've conceded three more goals than Man city and Chelsea, one more than Arsenal. Our last two league goals conceded were the Jagielka worldy and a dodgy penalty.

Also three of our back four that played Saturday have only been at the club since summer, they should become a tighter unit in time.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

it is staggering how bad we are defensively. mignolet had to make at least 3 saves today plus they hit the bar and one cleared off the line not to mention the goals we conceded.

the only positive is we scored more than them.

Pretty much what we relied on last Season.  It's patently obvious Rodgers does not have a clue how to organise a defence.  Also I don't know what's worse him or the dickheads who allowed him to throw a vast amount of money at a centre back worse then we already had.

another goal from a set piece.

mignolet comes for a cross misses and they head against the bar.

johnson loses a 50/50 then skrtel fails to clear and their forward is in on goal. mig saves and he puts rebound into side netting.

their first goal we dont block the cross and they ve an overload at back post. ball headed back across goal.

its basic defending of crosses and set pieces costing us week after week

There were any number of things going wrong there. Individual mistakes, like Enrique for the first leaving his man be in the penalty area, then doing the same thing again a few moments later. Then there's the lack of leadership. Who was giving Enrique the bollocking he so massively delivered? What would Tommy Smith have said (and done) in those circumstances. Then there's the lack of intensity at the start, allowing QPR to feed balls into Zamora. Give him the service and he becomes a handful, get in their faces so the service is poor and he has to run about and he's not.

As for Balotelli, he's obviously not got a clue as to how to play centre forward. How old is he? 24? That means he's had the best part of 10 years to take on board the training he's had. None of it appears to have stuck. He's either seriously stupid or just can't be bothered.

Central Defence obviously poor - but they are getting fuck all help.

Since Balotelli does sweet FA there is no pressure from the front (remember our front 4 chasing and harrying last year?) and opposition can take all day to hit a decent ball forward. Our midfield 5 seemed to be running around generally in headless chicken mode pressing one by one or not at all and failing to track runs and defend as a unit.

Add to that the baffling decision to change both FBs - especially Enrique looked absolutely terrible yesterday while Johnson did a little better, but as usual decided that the best option from a good forward position was to shank a shot off.

We need to sort out our shape - and it starts with benching the Italian for someone who can run. Sad to say - but Borini looks good right now...

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Are we over reacting regarding our defence? We've conceded three more goals than Man city and Chelsea, one more than Arsenal. Our last two league goals conceded were the Jagielka worldy and a dodgy penalty.

Also three of our back four that played Saturday have only been at the club since summer, they should become a tighter unit in time.

No I don't think we are to be honest, I don't think comparing numbers to other teams gives a true impression because who's to say those teams would have let any where near as many as us in given the attacks we've faced.

I think the point is that the way we are letting goals in is worrying and embarassing. Any good defence is incredibly well organised and Liverpool just aren't well organised at the back at present. We lack an organiser for one thing.

<script language='javascript'> </script>

No I don't think we are to be honest, I don't think comparing numbers to other teams gives a true impression because who's to say those teams would have let any where near as many as us in given the attacks we've faced.

I think the point is that the way we are letting goals in is worrying and embarassing. Any good defence is incredibly well organised and Liverpool just aren't well organised at the back at present. We lack an organiser for one thing.

I can't blame the defence for the second goal yesterday the ball was not cut out by Henderson or Gerrard at the near post and then went through Allens legs.

Zamora was a constant threat and our defence spent most of the game under sustained attack. Who kept feeding the ball to Zamora? That was a major problem. I'm not saying the defence played well, Enrique had a terrible game, but I'm not sure the defence was too much at fault yesterday, the rest of our side were worse.

I can't blame the defence for the second goal yesterday the ball was not cut out by Henderson or Gerrard at the near post and then went through Allens legs.

Zamora was a constant threat and our defence spent most of the game under sustained attack. Who kept feeding the ball to Zamora? That was a major problem. I'm not saying the defence played well, Enrique had a terrible game, but I'm not sure the defence was too much at fault yesterday, the rest of our side were worse.

The defence was terrible, but you're right, the midfield was probably worse.