You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Third of the Season Gone...

AngryOfTuebrook

I can totally understand why BR choose to play Henderson at the tip of the midfield, he is the only one with the ability to run box to box in the team.

By playing Gerrard there, the team is almost defending with 1 less man and with our current defensive record, I don't think BR wants to try that.

In order for Gerrard to be further forward. Henderson has to do a much better job at intercepting pass and covering the defence along with Lucas, to allow Gerrard less defensive duty. But to be honest, neither of them is doing it well, 

So we're picking our number 10 on his ability to defend?

That is utterly ludicrous.

Surely its more important to have players near our goal that can, and will, do some defending.

So we're picking our number 10 on his ability to defend?

That is utterly ludicrous.

Surely its more important to have players near our goal that can, and will, do some defending.

Indeed this is what is happening.

Everyone in the whole world who knows what a football is, know Gerrard is able to attack better than Henderson.But still Henderson is positioned further forward than Gerrard.

The only logical explanation i can get from this is that BR favours a player's ability to track back more than his attacking threat.. 

Something needs to be done quick as I have felt for a while somebody is really going to go to town on  us. It s going to happen and soon a 5 or 6 nil defeat has looked possible for a while now and we have got away up to now.

This is the first time I have really complained since rodgers took over. But that defeat to hull

2 unlucky own goals or not , dosent take away just how uninspired lambs to the slaughter by the shitiest of the shitiest whipping boys of the league done on us today

One of the most abject performances ive seen in 40 years.

Disgusted with them today and embarrassed to be associated with supporting them.

We usually get 3/4 of these a season, though, and that's been the problem for the last twenty three years.

It was an horrific day's football, but we couldn't ask for a kinder aftermath with successive home games against Norwich and West Ham. 

Sturridge being out is a huge blow, but at least Big Phil is fit to start on Wednesday.

Since seeing this thread title, I've been thinking about how to put my point across coherently and to be honest, I'm still struggling with that. But I'll give it a go regardless.

The midfield has been a concern all season but at the moment, there is an issue with our defenders that I was worried about long before Carra hung up his boots. We've had games where it hasn't mattered but the issue is becoming fairly evident as the weeks go by, and it's to do with communication.

I still think we lack a proper organiser at the back, though I would think that Agger's experience and the fact he captain's his national team should mean that he's the main man when it comes to organising his defence. Toure is no shrinking violet but I'm getting the impression more and more that while he talks during games, he's not so much an organiser as he is a motivator. Not that there's anything much wrong with that. Skrtel has the playing experience but I don't think he has the leadership skills to organise and/or motivate. The full backs? Not a chance as both need somebody alongside them to organise them and make them keep their concentration.

I still haven't seen enough of Sakho to know whether he has the ability to organise his defence but the early signs suggest him to be more like Toure in that regard. I think Ilori has only played in one under-21 game so we know almost nothing about what he does or doesn't have and in any case, he's still very young and inexperienced. 

The problem is exacerbated by how quiet our midfielders are. To some it seems like sacrilege to criticise Gerrard, but as a captain on the pitch he's more about leading by example than constantly communicating with, cajoling and organising his teammates. Henderson, Lucas and Allen are all far too quiet in my opinion.

To my mind, all of this leads to a situation where the players are going out onto the pitch with pre-match tactical instructions drilled into them, but nobody that can act as a coach on the pitch and organise the team to deal with situations as they crop up. They can only work with what's been drilled into them in training, rather than having the added benefit of strong and decisive leadership on the pitch to supplement this. If you have a squad full of fairly quiet players that are conscientious and diligent in training, you definitely need somebody on the pitch that has those qualities but can also demonstrate strong leadership instincts.

I think it is less of an issue in squads full of strong characters.

Having read the above back, I can still see a lack of coherence in what I'm saying, but I can't spot where that might be the case, as strange as that sounds!

A third of the season gone and we are fourth, that is a tremendous result.

Rodgers, on appointment, was a big gamble. But he has taken his chance and is doing as well as anyone could reasonably have expected, and is enjoying his best run as a manager. Whether that will be enough for LFC is another matter.

FSG cannot have it both ways. They appointed a “green and keen” who will not have cost as much as others, and was grateful for the opportunity, he was also far easier for them to manage than a Van Gaal or Pellegrini. That was the upside, the downside is that Rodgers has had to learn on the job. That will take time. I am certain they will offer him an extended, improved contract at the end of the season if we grab an EL spot, which will be an improvement.

This summer will be pivotal. If we can qualify for the CL, then we can retain Suarez and build again. If we don’t, Suarez will be off, aided by a World Cup showcase, and the draining effect of losing our best players will bite once more.

I expect an EL finish of 5th, I hope for a Cl finish of fourth. But neither will be easy. Martinez has loaned well with Lukaku and Barry, and the team is capable of scrapping for 5th too. Spurs have the capacity to come good, and who knows with Southampton? A manager who has improved what he has rather than spent extravagantly- who would have thought that was possible?

I predict the top four will remain unchanged with a Chelsea/ Arsenal/Man City/ Man Utd, 1-4 finish.

At the bottom, Palace, Sunderland and Fulham will go I think.

I don't see Arsenal lasting the course & think they will be 4th behind the 2 Mancs & Chelsea. Spurs will gel better as the season goes on to finish 5th & we will be scrapping for 6th & 7th with the Taff's Tavern Tossers.

I feel Rodgers & Ayre have done a very good job for the accountants, but most fans could see from looking at our subs bench that any injuries & suspensions would hit us badly.

I'd be delighted with top four or even five but i think we might just miss out.

It'd be nice to see Rodgers going into the transfer market next summer with champions league football to offer. I think if trying to sign mikytayn and costa are believed he'll do well, our fringe players can get game time instead of looking undercooked when they are called upon in the league, Stevie will have binned England and could be used more sparingly, ie either 60 min one way or 30 the other, instead of trying to pace himself to get through games.

t's a hindrance for our manager to be turned down by players wanting European football, like a boxer with one arm tied behind his back.

If we don't get European football suarez is gone, Gerrard will be a year older and the owners may panic. We desperately need a european spot, it'll give the whole club the obvious massive shot in the arm.

Of the others, as long as man utd or chelsea don't end up as champions I'm not bothered.

I hope stoke go down because their keeper scored a goal with an almighty upfield punt, tony pullis has dreamed of managing a team who could score a goal like that since he was a little kid and the bastards sacked him a couple of weeks before they scored it. Cruel game.

The players they're buying would be the biggest problem.

Yep totally agree about our signings and that's why we'll finish 7th. Rogers has spent a fair chunk with us and I'm not convinced he's spent well. Unquestionably decent signings are Sturridge, Coutinho and Ming. But then you have Allen, Ilori, Sahin, Cissokho, Aspas, Borini, Sakho, Moses, Alberto and not one has made an impact. At the moment I have no faith in his transfer policy. There are numerous examples to back this up:

Sahin - debacle of a loan. Was he even played in the right role?

Henderson - he was trying to get rid to Fulham and now he's the mainstay of our midfield.

Borini - Rogers quoted him as someone who will 'excite us and keep us on the edge of our seats'.

Moses - Jesus.

Allen - the Welsh Xavi. Nice one Bren.

CB's - we now have 5 who could start. The one he paid 17 mill for isn't playing. Bizarre. More importantly why the fuck do we need 5 CB's when we there are clearly other areas that need strengthening such as the mid-fucking-field.

Granted, our previous managers haven't had great success in the transfer market but Rogers really has taken it to another level for me. This new 'transfer committee' need to be intervening ASAP.

Saying all that, I would have taken 4th at this point of the season. I just feel a bit cheated, a bit like a wank wank.

A third of the season gone and we are fourth, that is a tremendous result.

Rodgers, on appointment, was a big gamble. But he has taken his chance and is doing as well as anyone could reasonably have expected, and is enjoying his best run as a manager. Whether that will be enough for LFC is another matter.

FSG cannot have it both ways. They appointed a “green and keen” who will not have cost as much as others, and was grateful for the opportunity, he was also far easier for them to manage than a Van Gaal or Pellegrini. That was the upside, the downside is that Rodgers has had to learn on the job. That will take time. I am certain they will offer him an extended, improved contract at the end of the season if we grab an EL spot, which will be an improvement.

This summer will be pivotal. If we can qualify for the CL, then we can retain Suarez and build again. If we don’t, Suarez will be off, aided by a World Cup showcase, and the draining effect of losing our best players will bite once more.

I expect an EL finish of 5th, I hope for a Cl finish of fourth. But neither will be easy. Martinez has loaned well with Lukaku and Barry, and the team is capable of scrapping for 5th too. Spurs have the capacity to come good, and who knows with Southampton? A manager who has improved what he has rather than spent extravagantly- who would have thought that was possible?

I predict the top four will remain unchanged with a Chelsea/ Arsenal/Man City/ Man Utd, 1-4 finish.

At the bottom, Palace, Sunderland and Fulham will go I think.

If Everton finish above us the manager will be sacked and rightfully so considering what both managers have done with their respective transfer dealings.

In all honesty I can't see us making the CL. We don't have enough goal scorers throughout out the side. Yes S A S can get plenty of goals, but midfield and the full backs have nothing to offer before the goal. 

BR doesn't have the pulling power to bring quality players to Anfield. Top priority this last transfer window was to bring in a free scoring midfield player. We ended up with 3 centre halts. I find that amazing but true.

If we don't get European football suarez is gone, Gerrard will be a year older and the owners may panic. We desperately need a european spot, it'll give the whole club the obvious massive shot in the arm.

European spot? No fucking chance. Have you heard Luis whining about European football?

It's CL or bust when it comes to Suarez. For many other top players too, I'd imagine.

If Everton finish above us the manager will be sacked and rightfully so considering what both managers have done with their respective transfer dealings.

Everton got lucky with the loan signing of Lukaku, the guy has been unbelievably brilliant for them!  He is probably worth an extra 15-20 points to them this season....

...so, because Everton got Lukaku and they may finish above us, your opinion is that Rodgers should be sacked?

Really? One loan signing that hits form for Everton should determine how Liverpool should conduct their business and be a real discussion point regarding our own manager and his position? Have a fuckin word with yourself mate, 

• Upvote 2

Everton got lucky with the loan signing of Lukaku, the guy has been unbelievably brilliant for them!  He is probably worth an extra 15-20 points to them this season....

...so, because Everton got Lukaku and they may finish above us, your opinion is that Rodgers should be sacked?

Really? One loan signing that hits form for Everton should determine how Liverpool should conduct their business and be a real discussion point regarding our own manager and his position? Have a fuckin word with yourself mate, 

Wjth due respect , thats like saying Rodgers got lucky by signing Sturridge. It's not a surprise he has done well seeing that he was pretty good for West Brom last season.

Questions have to be asked when you are spending 17 million on a Centre Back and then using lack of squad depth as an excuse against HULL!

• Upvote 2

I think FSG will make a judgement on what is best for their business, rather than on how Everton are doing.

Hopefully we wont need to worry about it , as they shouldnt finish anywhere near us. But il tell you one thing if that scenario plays out in May. I wont be alone in having a fucking word with myself. Especially if we serve up anymore turgid shite like sunday.

Barry, Lukaku and Delwotsit won't be at Everton next season. And then what for Everton? Rodgers' future does not rely on where he finishes relative to Everton.

You're just itching for the moment when you can call for yet another Liverpool manager to be sacked. If you're not doing so already.

Fans.

This season to date improvement over last season- we are right in the mix going in to the Christmas program. Sturridge injury and Hull performance shows we lack quality to control games and score goals- only Suarez, Sturridge, Gerrard and Coutinho able to create and take chances with any regularity.

Forward signings so far poor- Borini, Alberto, Aspas, Moses. Sterling believed his own hype and looks crap- Ibe not judged good enough to get a run out. Henderson a decent grafter, but cannot be relied upon to create or take chances.

If we can get through the Christmas program still in decent shape in the table and add 1-2 players that can pitch in some chances and goals we have a decent shot at CL or EL. We have enough defenders or decent quality- but BR needs to choose who is first choice and go with it.

I've read this 'lucky' tag more than once over the past few days. I don't get it.

Today - Hull's first goal took just about the jammiest deflection you could wish to see. The 3rd was just horrendous luck to hit Skrtel like that. 8 times out of 10 that would have not gone in.

Last week - Mirallas should have had 5 yellow cards before he supplied the 3rd goal for Lukaku. Were we lucky then too?

Arsenal a few weeks back - Cazorla happened to run into the space where his header rebounded off the post. A great finish but fuck me you've rubbed a rabbits foot a few times to get the ball to land like that.

And we have been lucky?

Fuck off with that shite. We've had more than our fair share of unfortunate incidents lately.

Don't forget the injury list either.

Not all is rosy but to suggest we are where we are is based on luck is laughable.

Barry, Lukaku and Delwotsit won't be at Everton next season. And then what for Everton? Rodgers' future does not rely on where he finishes relative to Everton.

We agree that our finish relative to Everton will not preoccupy FSG.

However regarding your loan comment, if they get just one good season out of those players they will have been worth it. Who is to say that they cannot loan well again?

As a club we seem to have loaned in, and out, badly in recent years.

I think FSG will make a judgement on what is best for their business, rather than on how Everton are doing.

Oh I think they'll cast a very firm eye on how everton do, especially if the reports that Martinez was offered the job are true.

These people seen to occupy a world of charts, graphs, outlays, incomings, outgoings, bottom lines, and bang for your buck.

If Martinez finishes above Rodgers after spending less money they may start getting itchi trigger finger, they've got history for it. Not saying its right but Rodgers position would be weakened.

• Upvote 2