You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Director of football. The time is nigh?

Gnasher

A collector's item,now, and rightly so:

"We're coming in to land at Speke, 

My legs are feeling very weak. 

We've just returned from Barcelona, 

And now I'm going for a sauna."

Apparently he and Joe Fagan got into a furious argument over that last rhyme and had to be pulled apart by Bob Paiisley before they came to blows.

"Kev's playing in a midfield role,

but he's still determined to score a goal"

No prizes for guessing toshack didn't pen that piece of literary genius about our current midfield.

"Hendo's running around to no avail

Like my dog when he's chasing his own tail.

Lucas, meanwhile, is making interceptions,

But with a clumsiness destined to pick up suspensions.

The worst of all is Steven Gerrard

Who strolls around like a mourner in a churchyard

He stands and stares

Without a care

While those whom he captains are having a mare.

It might sound cruel but I think it's fair

These days he might as well not be there.

• 1 month later...

It works much better if the director of football is appointed first, because their remit should include selecting the manager/coach. If they come in and a manager is already in place, it's usually not long before the manager departs.

• Upvote 1

Can someone tell me the structure that Everton employs, as regard player transfers. Does the manager pick the players he wants within a strict transfer/wage budget.

Just interested to know, because it will be a good marker for wether a DOF/ Transfer committee is better or not.

I personally prefer the manager to be signing off on the players he wants, otherwise how can he be held accountable should it fail.

I loved the fact at the time that Rafa went personally down to London to see Mascherano and show him where he wanted him to play using some stones on a pavement.

I also hate the fact that that clown Ayre believes he has the clout to sit on a transfer committee, like he has a scooby doo about the attributes of any player, nevermind his transfer negotiating.

• Upvote 1

Can someone tell me the structure that Everton employs, as regard player transfers. Does the manager pick the players he wants within a strict transfer/wage budget.

Just interested to know, because it will be a good marker for wether a DOF/ Transfer committee is better or not.

I personally prefer the manager to be signing off on the players he wants, otherwise how can he be held accountable should it fail.

I loved the fact at the time that Rafa went personally down to London to see Mascherano and show him where he wanted him to play using some stones on a pavement.

I also hate the fact that that clown Ayre believes he has the clout to sit on a transfer committee, like he has a scooby doo about the attributes of any player, nevermind his transfer negotiating.

I thought it was the condiments, glasses and cups on the table at a restaurant?

I thought it was the condiments, glasses and cups on the table at a restaurant?

"Rafa Benítez saw a golden opportunity for Liverpool to acquire a quality player and flew to London to meet him spending four hours at Canary Wharf talking with Mascherano, using stones to illustrate the role he envisaged him playing in the Liverpool team"

Got that from lfchistory.

I recall Martinez saying earlier this season the Everton job was a perfect fit for him, as he couldn't work under the sort of structure FSG proposed to him during that meeting.

Said to the effect that he likes to stand or fall by his own decisions.

It seems clear that what we have now isn't working. Our targets should have been identified and achieved at the start of the transfer window, with one eye on any late steals/deals that may be had towards the close of window.

To make it worse we are in a position of our own making. Late in the market, an unsure transfer policy yet to bear any fruit, no depth to the squad, badly timed announcements regarding new endorsements, and the impetus once again handed over to our rivals.

If Ayre was a real Liverpool man, instead of a corporate lackey, he may well have made some noises to FSG regarding some new signings being made to coincide with the new sponsorship announcements; really press on Brendan's behalf for FSG to reward his management efforts and for getting us in such a great position, tell them of the importance to the club for continued momentum and for the backing of the manager. Today there should have been no announcement, until he had done his best in squeezing some cash out of them for our run in and attempt at CL qualification. I don't get the impression that is happening.

If a director of football can do these things and help and guide the manager to get the right players we need to advance to the next level, and push the owners to give us what we need then great, get him in pronto, but if it's another yes man what's the worth? It's just another salary and one more voice to get in the way. 

Right now we could do worse than to just let Brendan get on the phone with these players and speak passionately about his ideas, give him the budget and let him get on with it. He gets the Transfer Budget money, it's up to him how he spends it, if he spunks it, it's on him. If he spends it well then he will get the praise and his rep and confidence grows. It can only be of benefit to us.

Another thing that bothers me is this. Where is Brendan's jewel in the crown signing? Yes we have Lucho but he wasn't a Rogers signing. Sturridge? Ok but he was still the unfinished article. Why haven't they given the man his chunk of change to buy the real artisans he needs? I get the feeling he is being given 15 mil (max) at a time. That's disrespectful in my opinion. He's your man FSG, so let him have some money to show us his vision with the players he wants. 

TL;DR If a director of football can fight Brendan's corner then I'm all for it, otherwise give the man the tools and let him work.

I recall Martinez saying earlier this season the Everton job was a perfect fit for him, as he couldn't work under the sort of structure FSG proposed to him during that meeting.

Said to the effect that he likes to stand or fall by his own decisions.

Well, that works at Everton, where he would not have a fraction of the money available to a Liverpool manager. After seeing millions splashed on dross, there was no way FSG would entrust decision-making to any one person, especially after doing so with Kenny/Comolli.

What the fuck has Rodgers done to earn that sort of trust? 15 million on Allen, 10 million on Borini - two buys that are his without doubt. Does Rodgers want the authority befitting a proven manager? Than earn it - buy wisely when given the chance.

If not, manage the bitters.

Why should we trust Brendan ? Well he has been given the job of Liverpool manager so there's that.

You could just as easily ask when has he been given licence to express himself and buy the players he really wants. 15 mil is a nice start but you're looking double that if you're serious about getting the right kind of players to get you 4th or higher. 

Henderson is not dross and neither is Enrique, and we got back quite a bit of that outlay, the Suarez money looks to have been a great investment too. Also a lot has been cut in terms of wages and players, and sponsors are still being found, so  I just don't buy the "oh they're so scared of being burnt" point of view. There will always be hits and misses in the market, it's the way of sports. To think that you only need invest in one cycle and then it will all fall in your lap isn't often how it works. 

And no way is Allen a bad buy. He was always going to be extra because of the fact that swansea were pissed off at Rogers for coming back in for him. They prob added 5mil on just for that. 10mil for allen would not be classed as expensive. In fact, I would actually be more than fucking happy if we started paying a bit more for our players just so we can in fact sign one or two of them instead of looking like utter nobheads in the transfer market.

The position of DOF can mean many things to different people at different clubs.

What is certain is that at Board level we still lack experience in handling transfers. There is no experienced Director or administrator ( Peter Robinson, and before him Jimmy McInnes did an excellent job for us in the past) to handle the behind the scenes stuff, an area where we were cruelly exposed during the Suarez/ Evra debacle). Ayre is having to pick it up as he goes along.

The principle of a DOF offering long term continuity in transfer policy when the average life of a manager is 18 months, and the average player contract is three years ,is hardly earth shattering. Finding the right man can be even more difficult than finding the right manager though.