You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Director of football. The time is nigh?

Gnasher

Mistakes that have since been rectified. Balanced out by bargains such as Sturridge and Coutinho

I'm not even going there again with the money wasted on those two clowns if you think that was rectified fine....all I see is £55 million wasted due to the title of this thread on do we need a Director of Football.....

I'm not even going there again with the money wasted on those two clowns if you think that was rectified fine....all I see is £55 million wasted due to the title of this thread on do we need a Director of Football.....

We recouped almost 20 million from the sale of Carroll alone. Win some, lose some.

The Comolli/ Carroll debacle is not eveidence that a DOF doesn’t work, but instead evidence of what inexperience can result in. Comolli was never fit for the role, nor were the supporting cast up to the job.

On appointment, there was a very strong case for a DOF when Rodgers arrived. But now that boat has sailed. He has made his own buys and will sink or swim by them. Any appointment of a DOF now would be counter-productive.

There continues to be a case for Ayre to be replaced by a big hitter as CEO though.

I recall Martinez saying earlier this season the Everton job was a perfect fit for him, as he couldn't work under the sort of structure FSG proposed to him during that meeting.

Said to the effect that he likes to stand or fall by his own decisions.

So he knocked us back?

He would rather have stayed at Whelans Wigan than work with FSG at Liverpool or did FSG go all out for BR after meeting him?

Sour grapes I reckon.

"A simple game complicated by idiots".

Owner appoints manager, gives manager what he/she/they can afford, manager is judged by the moves he makes within the limits that are placed on him under the circumstances, it was, and should be, that simple.

The lengths this game will go to to complicate what is essentially probably the most simple and well established team sport around never fails to amaze me. Lighter footballs, four linesmen, false nines, outside and inside lefts, directors of football, head coaches, paychologists, fitness gurus, it's all bollocks - the team with the best players wins, the club with the best manager/finance combination gets the best players, end of.

I can only imagine there's some former HR department head behind all this, as they are experts at turning their own inherent pointlessness into something their naive trend obsessed bosses think actually matters.

• Upvote 2

So he knocked us back?

He would rather have stayed at Whelans Wigan than work with FSG at Liverpool or did FSG go all out for BR after meeting him?

Sour grapes I reckon.

No idea mate, wasn't getting into the rights and wrongs of it, or whether the LFC gig was offered to him or any of that.  Just saw the question I replied to asking what the set-up at Everton is, and recall before we played them this season he was asked about the discussions he had with FSG and said what I relayed earlier.  By definition, one assumes that means he alone picks the players to be signed there.

Well, that works at Everton, where he would not have a fraction of the money available to a Liverpool manager. After seeing millions splashed on dross, there was no way FSG would entrust decision-making to any one person, especially after doing so with Kenny/Comolli.

What the fuck has Rodgers done to earn that sort of trust? 15 million on Allen, 10 million on Borini - two buys that are his without doubt. Does Rodgers want the authority befitting a proven manager? Than earn it - buy wisely when given the chance.

If not, manage the bitters.

I'll be sure to let Brendan know.

I'm not sure he'll consider my answering a question on Everton's current set-up with what I'd read Martinez say about it as a mandate to provide that advice, but I'll tell him you've got strong views on it and see if that seals the deal.

A Shanks quote about on the field activity, not off the field activity. Off the field he was fortunate to have a formidable, experienced Board behind him who were an integral part of his success.

In an era of the £100m player, and the £10m a year wage packet,allowing managers of a football club, most of whom have a few GCSE's and a coaching badge behind them, to make decisions on their own, whose impact can resonate for years with eight figure consequences, when their own tenure is typically 18 months, makes no sense.

Most managers are managing in chunks of ten games or so, ten losses and you are out. No multimillion pound business can hand its financial security to any one person who has to operate in that timeframe.

Of course that does not mean that managers should not, to varying degrees, have a significant say in transfers. Generally, that is earned over time by track record. But even those managers who ostensibly had/have significant autonomy, like Fergie and Wenger were and are answerable to experienced men who set budgets and ask questions.

Rafa was suckered by H&G into seeking too much involvement, and then discovered that it is far better to be knocking on the door demanding cash, than to find yourself putting the handcuffs on your own wrists.

• Upvote 1

A Shanks quote about on the field activity, not off the field activity. Off the field he was fortunate to have a formidable, experienced Board behind him who were an integral part of his success.

In an era of the £100m player, and the £10m a year wage packet,allowing managers of a football club, most of whom have a few GCSE's and a coaching badge behind them, to make decisions on their own, whose impact can resonate for years with eight figure consequences, when their own tenure is typically 18 months, makes no sense.

Most managers are managing in chunks of ten games or so, ten losses and you are out. No multimillion pound business can hand its financial security to any one person who has to operate in that timeframe.

Of course that does not mean that managers should not, to varying degrees, have a significant say in transfers. Generally, that is earned over time by track record. But even those managers who ostensibly had/have significant autonomy, like Fergie and Wenger were and are answerable to experienced men who set budgets and ask questions.

Rafa was suckered by H&G into seeking too much involvement, and then discovered that it is far better to be knocking on the door demanding cash, than to find yourself putting the handcuffs on your own wrists.

Rafa earned the club shedloads of cash from the European cup alone. The fact we had to bring in the likes of Degen, Ngog and Voronin for minimal cost or free transfers said more than anything about the state of the club finances.

Owner appoints manager, gives manager what he/she/they can afford, manager is judged by the moves he makes within the limits that are placed on him under the circumstances, it was, and should be, that simple.

The lengths this game will go to to complicate what is essentially probably the most simple and well established team sport around never fails to amaze me. Lighter footballs, four linesmen, false nines, outside and inside lefts, directors of football, head coaches, paychologists, fitness gurus, it's all bollocks - the team with the best players wins, the club with the best manager/finance combination gets the best players, end of.

I can only imagine there's some former HR department head behind all this, as they are experts at turning their own inherent pointlessness into something their naive trend obsessed bosses think actually matters.

Agree entirely with this. And it served us very well for many years.

How do you know he hasn't already?

Well I don't but you'd think with an outlay of £15 odd mil on Aspas and Alberto he might have played them a bit more if they were 'his' players. There's also the veiled digs about not bringing in enough quality first teamers as opposed to the squad and future prospect buys we've made.