You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Red of the Day - Mark Smyth

tlw content

by Dave Usher

A lifelong red who as a young boy dreamt of emulating his idol Ian Rush and playing for Liverpool, Smyth joined the Reds' Academy from Tranmere Rovers when he was 14 years old and went on to represent England at every youth level up to under 20.

He was a key member of Dave Shannon's under 17 side which went through an entire season unbeaten. His versatility gave Shannon plenty ofoptions, as the pacy youngster was equally at home on either wing as well as up front and he plundered numerous goals and forced his wayinto the England youth set up.

Smyth continued his good form through to under 19 level and soon forced his way into the reserve set up. The competition for places up front was fierce however, and Gerard Houllier's strained relationship with the Academy didn't make things easy for local youngsters to break through. It was difficult enough just to get into the reserve team, let alone the senior squad.

Smyth was told by Houllier at the end of the 2003/04 season that he was not part of his future plans and that he should look for another club. This despite Mark still having a year left on a three year professional contract he signed when he was 17.

It was a devastating blow for a lad who had always dreamed of one day playing for the first team of the club he had supported all of hislife. Indeed, such was Smyth's love for the club, that whilst the other youngsters who had not been kept on opted to miss the final under 19 game of the season to try and get fixed up with new clubs, Mark insisted on turning out for John Owens' side as he just wanted to wear the red shirt one last time.

It was a remarkable show of loyalty, as he was due at Sheffield Wednesday for a trial the next day. Cruelly, Mark picked up an injuryin that last academy game which was aggravated further during trials with Wednesday and Ipswich, and he faced a summer of recuperation and an uncertain future.

Then Houllier left the club, and after speaking to Steve Heighway and Rick Parry, Mark turned down the club's offer to pay up the remainder of his contract and he requested that he be allowed to see out the final 12 months of his deal.

New boss Rafa Benitez had no objection and Smyth got to wear the red shirt he cherishes for another year. Whatsmore, his lifelong dream of playing for the first team came true when he appeared as a substitute in the Carling Cup win over Spurs at White Hart Lane. It was to be the only time he would appear for the first team and he was released at the end of the season when his contract ran out, but that night at White Hart Lane is something Mark will savour for the rest of his life.

Date of Birth: 09/01/85

Nationality: English

Postition: Winger/Striker

Games: 1

Goals: 0

ClubHons (Lpool):

Int Hons:  England youth caps

Other Clubs: Accrington Stanley, Vauxhall Motors, Bangor City (twice), Leigh Railway Mechanics Institute, WittonAlbion

smyth_mark_profile.jpg
Mark Smyth 2004-05

Click here to view the article

It is a great story.  

The one I always think is such a shame is that Paul Harrison never got to play.  He almost did, Rafa was going to put him on against Newcastle on the last day I think, but the game ended up close and he may have used all his subs or something.  I don't remember the details exactly, just that Rafa had told him he would try and get him on if he could.

That would have been a great story, as Paul lost his dad at Hillsborough.

It is a great story.  

The one I always think is such a shame is that Paul Harrison never got to play.  He almost did, Rafa was going to put him on against Newcastle on the last day I think, but the game ended up close and he may have used all his subs or something.  I don't remember the details exactly, just that Rafa had told him he would try and get him on if he could.

That would have been a great story, as Paul lost his dad at Hillsborough.

He played in goal in that charity match if you remember at Anfield.  I know it's not the same but all the legends played in that game and it was to a full house.

I remember when I was younger everyone raving about Mark Smyth.  He was the year above me in school years (went to Gateacre which is the other school I could have went to if you know what I mean)  and everyone thought him or Steven Gillespie were going to be the Rooney of the year above.  Obviously never worked out like that but he got to play at least once which looks like a great achievement considering it looks like he's struggled to make it at any level after that.  I used to work with his sister but I've never met him.

There's plenty of lads like this over the years.  I got to know Robbie Threllfall's older brother when I was 16 and he was raving about Robbie, with good reason as well.  Playing for England at different ages but could just never crack the first team and then eventually falling all the way down the leagues.

• Upvote 1