You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Safe Standing.

Salou

They'll charge at least 25% more to stand up, than to sit down. Give the fans what they want(supposedly) and charge them for the luxury of standing for 90 minutes, which I guess will start off as a middle section in the Kop and then, if the money rolls in, spread it out to the entire Kop, which it will. So that'll be even more moaning from the arl cunts on the Kop.

I just hope these rail seats have a USB port and an I-pad charger port.

Or a commode and hearing aid charger for us arl cunts.

• Upvote 1

I honestly think there is more chance of people getting injured or worse with the current standing in seated areas situation that can be seen week in week out among away fans and as is seen at Anfield for example at big games.

Dortmund at Anfield in 306 the other year was scary.

Of course it is an incredibly sensitive issue at our club for obvious and awful reasons but it seems the debate is being had with the right levels of respect, tact and sensitivity.

I am sure that will continue and if a safe and better way forward can be discussed and possibly found then for me it is a good thing.

I think SOS have handled the consultation process extremely well. They been very clear in explaining what the meetings were about, what the vote specifically referred to, that their future stance on the issue would be dictated by the outcome of the vote, and they've been adamant about respecting the views of the families and those who may not wish for a change in legislation for whatever reason.

I don't think that's the danger - I think that it's opening the door for someone to then say 'ok we don't need the seat part' (as nobody sits), then 'we can still get a few more in safely', then 'we forgot to maintain the barriers' etc. It's the slippery slope that I'm worried about. And although it's said that only a prescribed number can get inside thanks to ticketing - what happens if / when there's a ticketing scandal and there's a load of high quality counterfeit tickets that are being hand checked - and more people enter a stand than is safe?

WIth all the safeguards in place - I do accept it should be totally safe, I've just seen too many disasters where the safeguards were slowly eroded.

Correct.

As soon as standing becomes common once more standards will slip and the vicious cycle will begin again. Lower prices are the only thing which will improve atmospheres at grounds,and lets be honest,a much better standard of football across the board. Not just half a dozen decent ones over a season.

What happened?

As the comeback goals flew in and the resulting chaos and mayhem ensued people were falling down over the row in front....lad by us actually ended up falling onto the people the row in front....i got a right whack on my shin off the back of the chair in front from being pushed forward too.

The leg room back there is terrible anyway but when people are standing/jumping up on the seats (albeit in joy) it genuinely became uncomfortable....those seats when people stand on them are dangerous...i of course realise they aren't meant to be stood on but in times like that people do and they fall off them...

By the looks of these rail seats there is more room as well for what you might call normal standing behaviour.

• Upvote 1

I've seen the rail seats in Hannover - in the upper deck as it happened. There are two steps in the row, so you've actually got room for two rows of people between the rails.

When the game is an "all seater" game, only one ticket is sold for the space as the seat folds down and covers the upper step.

• Upvote 1

As the comeback goals flew in and the resulting chaos and mayhem ensued people were falling down over the row in front....lad by us actually ended up falling onto the people the row in front....i got a right whack on my shin off the back of the chair in front from being pushed forward too.

The leg room back there is terrible anyway but when people are standing/jumping up on the seats (albeit in joy) it genuinely became uncomfortable....those seats when people stand on them are dangerous...i of course realise they aren't meant to be stood on but in times like that people do and they fall off them...

By the looks of these rail seats there is more room as well for what you might call normal standing behaviour.

God yeah, I remember that kind of thing during the Roma game in 2002. It was fine when I was a relatively nimble 26 year old. Now I'd probably rupture something.

God yeah, I remember that kind of thing during the Roma game in 2002. It was fine when I was a relatively nimble 26 year old. Now I'd probably rupture something.

Of course a seating area is designed for sitting in but fact is people do stand for big games and away fans do stand and in my view because of the way seated areas are designed especially towards the back of the kop where the rows are somewhat squeezed in it can be dangerous as we are talking about here....

There is a big difference between people effectively creating a standing area by standing in an area designed for sitting in and people standing in an area designed for them to safely stand in....

I think it is good the discussion is being had and being had sensibly, openly, sensitively, respectfully and of course with the tragic events of Hillsborough and the feelings of the families front of mind.

My own view is a properly implemented and importantly properly maintained/managed safe standing area would be a positive thing.

Of course a seating area is designed for sitting in but fact is people do stand for big games and away fans do stand and in my view because of the way seated areas are designed especially towards the back of the kop where the rows are somewhat squeezed in it can be dangerous as we are talking about here....

There is a big difference between people effectively creating a standing area by standing in an area designed for sitting in and people standing in an area designed for them to safely stand in....

I think it is good the discussion is being had and being had sensibly, openly, sensitively, respectfully and of course with the tragic events of Hillsborough and the feelings of the families front of mind.

My own view is a properly implemented and importantly properly maintained/managed safe standing area would be a positive thing.

Its the 'properly maintained and managed' bit that is my biggest problem. How long would that happen for?

Its the 'properly maintained and managed' bit that is my biggest problem. How long would that happen for?

Agreed it is defo the big question....from what i have seen though it looks pretty good..

Obviously would need as i am sure they will to look at it very very deeply and ask the questions that need to be asked...

In Germany, from what I have seen, the areas which are rail seated are very self defined - perspex walls on either side, with presumably numbers designed turnstiles. Getting more than officially allowed in should in theory be controllable under those circumstances.

This might not be so easy in British Grounds - I don't think Parkhead has controls like this and in theory they're nothing to stop someone wandering in to the standing area from a seated area? Maybe someone who's been could comment? 

In Germany, from what I have seen, the areas which are rail seated are very self defined - perspex walls on either side, with presumably numbers designed turnstiles. Getting more than officially allowed in should in theory be controllable under those circumstances.

This might not be so easy in British Grounds - I don't think Parkhead has controls like this and in theory they're nothing to stop someone wandering in to the standing area from a seated area? Maybe someone who's been could comment? 

Stewards checking your ticket at the specific access point to the terracing Id imagine. They're not going to the expense of installing these then just letting anyone rock up and bag a spot.

• Upvote 1

Stewards checking your ticket at the specific access point to the terracing Id imagine. They're not going to the expense of installing these then just letting anyone rock up and bag a spot.

Its this type of complacency that led to Hillsborough. I agree that its unlikely to happen in Germany but nothing would surprise me in the UK.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SOS are visiting Celtic Park on Saturday to check out their rail seating and speak to people up there about it.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/supporters-to-visit-rail-seating-at-celtic

Following our overwhelming vote in favour of rail seating being introduced into football grounds, Spirit of Shankly committed to digesting the result and looking at what the next steps might be. Given the size of the vote, and the debate taking place nationally, it was right that we committed to find out more. This Saturday, as part of that process, we will visit Celtic Park.

Thanks to the generosity of Celtic, SOS will attend the match versus Ross County. We will be accompanied by fellow supporters, Hillsborough families and survivors. This trip will be an opportunity for us to see the rail seating section first-hand and to ask questions of those responsible for its safety. As well as hearing about the Celtic experience, some of those attending will also be watching the match from the rail seating section.

We fully appreciate the sensitivities around this visit. This will be a difficult experience for some, and one that should not be under-estimated. We invited both Hillsborough groups to attend and we are grateful to those who are able to.

We understand that rail seating may not be for everyone. We want to make clear that any such visit is not an endorsement, nor a pre-cursor to calling for it at Anfield. We expect that following the visit, our discussions and viewpoints will be informed further. We anticipate that after this visit, we will update supporters and have further discussions about what, if any, further steps we take.

If anyone has any questions they would like putting to Celtic, their staff or supporters, or if you have any questions about the visit itself, please email chair@spiritofshankly.com