You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burning Question: "What team would you start against Everton?"

tlw content

Whilst Liverpool's plans for tomorrow's derby aren't exactly in disarray, the injury to Jose Enrique combined with the exploits of several players in midweek internationals means things aren't as straightforward for Brendan Rodgers as he would like. So who would select to start the game? Two of TLW's finest, Alex Woo and Julian Richards, share their thoughts. . .

This will be an interesting derby to watch, because for the first time in what seems like an eternity, Everton don’t have a blood and thunder football type of manager. Moyes, Smith, Kendall and Royle all worked with the tools they had, and tools is an apt word as their football could be described, at best, as agricultural.

Now though they have Roberto Martinez, they’ve sold the Man with the Most Dangerous Elbows in the World and they’re playing a much more fluent brand of football.

Usually derby games start at 100mph, with tackles flying in at a quicker rate than TIE Fighters defending the Death Star, and no one is able to string more than two passes together. You can’t really see that happening now with the two managers that both teams have in charge, as the type of game described above is a bit of an anathema to the both of them; but will the DNA of the fixture override that?

Liverpool has a few injury concerns going into it, and that might end up picking the team for Rodgers. Those injuries might also decide the formation that Rodgers ends up picking. After reverting to a more traditional four at the back against Fulham at home, Rodgers might be persuaded that going with three at the back, with one man up front and three supporting him, might have to be revived.

The biggest concern is left back now that Enrique is out indefinitely with the knee injury that’s been bothering him for the last month. Enrique isn’t a world beater but he’s the best we have in that position, and having seen the ‘support’ that Aly Cissohko has provided, left back is now a big problem. At the moment Cissohko seems the likely choice but at a push Rodgers could opt to put Agger there or switch Johnson to the left. Agger is a fine defender, and he does like the odd run forward, but he’s no left back in the style Rodgers likes; he’ll give solidity but little else. Of course when the other option is Cissohko, who seems to offer neither solidity nor attacking verve, then picking someone who at least does one thing, seems the smartest play.

Switching Johnson to left back at least means that right back is easier to cover. Although putting Kolo Toure there means that you’re also sacrificing some attacking flair for defence. Kelly’s still not up to full fitness so the other choice is Henderson. With him at right back you’re not getting an outstanding defender or attacker, but you are getting a solid all-rounder.

Moving Henderson there very much depends on the fitness of Gerrard, and to a lesser extent, Sturridge. My gut reaction is that both will play despite their mid-week excursions with England. They both only played one game and, despite the amount of harrumphing Liverpool fans have done about them playing, their schedule is no different than if Liverpool had played last weekend.

Now despite all that I’ve written, and based on Gerrard and Sturridge both being fit, I’d pick the same team as Fulham, and yes, that includes Cissohko at left back. Gerrard may not be able to last the full ninety minutes but Allen had a good outing in the international break so he can provide cover for the last thirty. Skrtel and Agger are a tried and trusted partnership and despite people’s well founded fear of Lukaku, I feel more secure with players who are familiar with each other in games like these. How tired our Uruguayan striker is might be a factor too, he’ll certainly not be short of energy but his body might be a fraction of time behind his brain; jet lag does that to you.

Whatever happens, this team should have no fear of going to Everton and getting a result, they’re in decent form and they have some good players but so are Liverpool; no fear, just win.

Julian Richards

Going in to the international break, the team selection for tomorrow’s derby looked relatively straightforward, but Roy Hodgson’s unquestionable ability to screw us over, even when he’s long been given the boot from the Anfield hot seat, means there are now question marks over the fitness of key players.

Enrique’s absence leaves a real quandary at left-back, but I’d still give the nod to Cissokho over Johnson, Flanagan or any of the centre-backs. He’s got plenty of experience at the top level and we’re going to have to rely on him going forward, at least until January, so he’s still the best option, for me. Johnson can play well on the left, as he has proved, but leave him in his natural position and let Baines worry about him.

As for centre-back, this really is tough to decide, but Sakho’s superb performance in midweek for France against Ukraine, plus Agger’s horror shows against Romelu Lukaku last season, mean that I would pair Skrtel and Sakho in defence for tomorrow; they’re best suited to deal with Lukaku and Mirallas, and should complement each other well. It wouldn’t surprise me to see all three start in some form, though.

The midfield three of Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson picks itself, presuming the captain is fit. If he isn’t, he deserves all the criticism he gets if he played in a meaningless friendly the midweek before a derby. I have nothing but apathy towards the national team, but I realise that most of the players care about playing for their country, and I would completely understand if it was a huge qualifying match that they needed to get a good result in. But a meaningless friendly, days before the biggest game of the season? Madness.

Hopefully Sturridge is fit enough to start, and the same applies to him re: England. If Sturridge can’t start I would definitely consider going three at the back, with Coutinho off Suarez, but hopefully he makes it. For some strange reason, the arrival of Martinez means I’m expecting this to be a good game, with the quality of football on display better than anything we’ve seen in a derby for years. But either way, I couldn’t care less, as long as we can nick the win in any way. A late, dubious offside winner from Suarez in the last minute to make up for last year would be really sweet.

Alex Woo

@woolfc

-----------Migsy-----------

Kolo---Saksy-Aggs---Jonno

-Hendo-----Luca-----Stevo

----Couts------Moses------

---------Sturridge---------

I'd keep Suarez on the bench, he's been around the world and played twice. You have to have something on the bench as a back-up plan in big games. We've tried two forwards and it's not worked because we haven't had the men in the middle to get the service to them.

If we bring Cissokho on then he might be best utilised as a left midfielder. He's a big physical lad, he'd suit the derby.

No chance i'd drop Sturridge or Suarez. Imagine the lift it would give them 

Mignolet

Toure Agger Sakho Johnson

Henderson Lucas Gerrard

Suarez Sturridge Coutinho

Fuck them 

If either are struggling Moses can come on as he will be buzzing from his exploits with Nigeria 

No way would I play Toure, Agger or Sakho at fullback. Generally when we start CBs there it makes us play very slow and lethargic and juts cuts our creativity going forward as well as leaving us vulnerable at the back.

I find it sad how little faith people have in Cissokho after just a few games. Granted he has been bad but he could get better and he has been a very good player in the past. I think, though, if we're not going to play him Flanagan with Johnson on the left is the next best option.

• Upvote 1

I find it sad how little faith people have in Cissokho after just a few games. Granted he has been bad but he could get better and he has been a very good player in the past. I think, though, if we're not going to play him Flanagan with Johnson on the left is the next best option.

If it was Crystal Palace at home I'd have no problem throwing Cissokho in there.  It just shits me up the thought of him playing in an away derby. 

Mignolet

Johnson Skrtel Agger Sakho

Gerrard Lucas

Henderson Allen Moses

Suarez

I would start Coutinho and Sturridge in 95% of our matches but not this one. It has got nothing to do with paying too much respect for the opponent. It is purely pragmatic and based on what I think will be most effective; I want to win this by all cost.

The matches against the blueshite can be a blitzkrieg of tackles and rough play and a pace unlike any other football match in the first 20-30 minutes. The team above will tackle the war and still be able to play good attacking football. Allens quick feet, his ability to pressure the opponent and his solid passing are very well suited to this match.

When we have gained control of the match, taken the lead and they start to run out of steam, probably after 45-60 minutes, we unleash Coutinho and Sturridge on them and crush them solid and mercyless.

3-0 (Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge).

I'd play Cissokho tbh. He's been shite but he's the most natural option. The centre back thing is more tricky

Yep I'd play him as well. I don't think he's been as bad as people make out. He's made a few errors but so has Agger, Sakho and Toure.

As for CB I'd go with Skrtel and Sakho.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

This is a tough fixture for me. Along with United away, it's the one I really miss going to. Watching on TV today just won't cut it. A win will just about cover up the disappointment of not being there. More than that, it'll keep us in the hunt, not just for the top four but for the league. Yeah, it's stupid to be talking about winning the league, yeah it's red-tinted, and yeah it's not realistic. I get all that, but fuck it! I'm in. Toot Toot, all aboard the sunshine bus. The longer we're in the hunt for the title the better chance we've got of making the top four at the end of the year. And who knows, magic has happened before. Stranger things have happened in football.

One game at a time, though; that's the way it has to be. If we beat Everton, no matter how enjoyable it will be the ultimate prize is the three points - those are what we really need at the moment. Bragging rights are great, three points are better. Unfortunately, those three points are harder to come by against Everton now than they were a few seasons back. They've got that utter beast Lukaku, for a start. With that in mind, I think we need to do two things: First, play Sakho. He's the strongest, most aggressive defender we have. If any one of them is able to keep Lukaku quiet, it's him; secondly, we need to control possession and the midfield. With that in mind, I'd play Joe Allen. He played very well, and aggressively, for Wales. I think he would help retain and win back possession. If not him, Henderson is unlikely to let anybody down.

The rest of the team picks itself, pretty much. I guess the one exception to that is the space vacated by Enrique's injury. I'd pick Cissokho again. I don't want to, but there's very little choice. Any other solution means fucking about playing others out of position and poor choices at RB. Cissokho isn't playing brilliantly, not by a long shot, but he's not quite as bollockdiculous as some are suggesting. With that in mind...

--------------------------------------Mignolet--------------------------------------

Johnson--------------Skrtel-----------------------------Sakho--------------Cissokho

---------------------------------------Lucas-----------------------------------------

------------------------Gerrard---------------------Allen----------------------------

-------------------------------------Coutinho---------------------------------------

-------------------Suarez--------------------------------------Sturridge------------

I'd go:

--------------------------Mignolet

Toure------------Skrtel--------Agger-----------Johnson

----------------------------Lucas

--------------------Gerrard------Henderson

---------------------------Coutinho

----------------------Suarez------Sturridge

I don't think that starting Flanagan is really the best option we have available. He may have been looking good in training but it seems like an unnecessary gamble when we have players with the experience of Toure available.

The rest of the team really picks itself for me, although I think we'll definitely need the likes of Moses and Allen off the bench. There's players there who won't be able to keep up with the pace of a derby for 90 minutes after the week they've had.

Allen and Henderson should start this game. Their energy and ball retention will be important.

As for Coutinho and Sturridge: they won't keep up with the pace for 90 minutes. Why not let them play in the last part of the game when things presumebly have opened up? In the first part of these games it is usually very thight and physical and I don't think they will be as effective then.

Besides; if the game is still close with 30 minutes left, who do we put on instead when Sturridge and Coutinho start to tire?

Allen and Henderson should start this game. Their energy and ball retention will be important.

As for Coutinho and Sturridge: they won't keep up with the pace for 90 minutes. Why not let them play in the last part of the game when things presumebly have opened up? In the first part of these games it is usually very thight and physical and I don't think they will be as effective then.

Besides; if the game is still close with 30 minutes left, who do we put on instead when Sturridge and Coutinho start to tire?

Moses and Allen, I would say.

I think Sturridge probably does need to be rested but I'm not sure that today is the day to do it.