You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

International friendlies and qualifiers

smilezzz

McNulty cracking on to the whole defence (Cahill was sub-par for him and Baines had a bad game, not sure why Johnson was mentioned) except the stinking shite in the middle of it all, Phil Jones. Fucking awful. The fact him and Smalling are our backup centre backs is the elephant in the room... Jones especially, the fat bastard.

Caulker and Dawson, there you go Roy. Helped you out a bit there. One young talented defender WHO ACTUALLY PLAYS CENTRE BACK on a regular basis in the Premier League and one - admittedly ordinary at international standard - guy who can actually stand up and lead the defensive unit when needed... and it will be needed.

Also reading the whole analysis of the game and no-one seems to mention the ridiculous decision to give Rodriguez and Lallana such a defensive remit against the Chile full backs. They both spent a large portion of the game in our half tracking their man and then we wonder why it seems to be asking too much of Jay Rodriguez (a finisher who seems to do well finding space in the box from wide areas... never a wide player himself) to carry the ball from the halfway line. To make it worse we take off Rodriguez and go 4-4-2, why not give him ten minutes up front?

McNulty cracking on to the whole defence (Cahill was sub-par for him and Baines had a bad game, not sure why Johnson was mentioned) except the stinking shite in the middle of it all, Phil Jones. Fucking awful. The fact him and Smalling are our backup centre backs is the elephant in the room... Jones especially, the fat bastard.

Caulker and Dawson, there you go Roy. Helped you out a bit there. One young talented defender WHO ACTUALLY PLAYS CENTRE BACK on a regular basis in the Premier League and one - admittedly ordinary at international standard - guy who can actually stand up and lead the defensive unit when needed... and it will be needed.

Also reading the whole analysis of the game and no-one seems to mention the ridiculous decision to give Rodriguez and Lallana such a defensive remit against the Chile full backs. They both spent a large portion of the game in our half tracking their man and then we wonder why it seems to be asking too much of Jay Rodriguez (a finisher who seems to do well finding space in the box from wide areas... never a wide player himself) to carry the ball from the halfway line. To make it worse we take off Rodriguez and go 4-4-2, why not give him ten minutes up front?

Good summary there.

Everytime i see Phil Jones or hear/read his name the word Lummox appears in my mind, the hype around him was a giant piss take by everyone involved, notice how that hype has all but dissapeared although you hear the odd voice still banging his drum, remember he was the future England captain, don't here anyone saying that anymore.

Pleased we didn't end up signing him, hes just another in a very long line of over priced overated English players.

Caulker looks great everytime ive seen him, mainly when he was at Spurs, strange one that they let him go, Dawson you always hear how he has no pace but as we all know its not pace that makes a great defender, obviously a helpful attribute to have buts its not a necessity.

You are right what you say about how Rodriguez was played but he isn't good enough anyway, don't think he ever will be either, you just don't get enough from him, how many has he scored and created for Southampton since hes been there? Lallana on the other hand belongs in and around that England team, he was the one plus from last night, lovely little player.

The real elephant in the room last night was Lampard, hes shot, he probably should be shot, he should really do what that twat Neville done and jack it in on the spot, i honestly forgot he was on the pitch until 37/38 minutes when i heard his name mentioned, kept a close eye after that and he was a yard behind everything and when he did get on the ball with a bit of time it was still wasted more times than not, he really does look gone, hes doing nothing for Chelsea either, there is not 1 valid reason he should be in the WC squad ahead of those other midfielders, il'd even have Cleverly ahead of him who is complete shite.

I agree about Rodriguez, he's a finisher and not much else (and, to be honest, not even a whole lot of that). Given a chance to find room in the box he might have shown some useful instincts (always good to know you have more goalscorers to call upon if needed) but wasn't even given the chance.

Would have been better off giving Gibbs a go ahead of Baines so at least Baines had cover to try and attack a bit more without leaving Sanchez on his own.

I agree about Rodriguez, he's a finisher and not much else (and, to be honest, not even a whole lot of that). Given a chance to find room in the box he might have shown some useful instincts (always good to know you have more goalscorers to call upon if needed) but wasn't even given the chance.

Would have been better off giving Gibbs a go ahead of Baines so at least Baines had cover to try and attack a bit more without leaving Sanchez on his own.

Never understood the hype about Rodriguez, I watch Burnley every now and then as my mate is a fan and always thought Charlie Austin was the better of the two

That's good to hear Jules.

What role did he play?  The rugby was good as well for Wales.

Allen played center mid. Seemed to get off to a shaky start misplacing a few passes, steadily improved as the game went on to give an intelligent and assured performance again for Wales, although the opposition was weak.

Allens closing down and pinching of the ball lead directly to the welsh goal whilst Finlands last gasp equaliser came they drove straight through the welsh midfield after Allen had been substituted in the 90th minuet.

Imo his performance does not warrant a place against everton but did show why Allen ran away with welsh player of the year ahead of Ramsey, Bellamy, Williams and Bale. Allen needs to rediscover the form he was in before coming to liverpool to cement a place in the side.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=wal/news/newsid=1875036.html

Just watched a youtube clip of his performance vs Finland.  

Typical Allen performance from what I could see.  Decent, tidy in possession (making simple passes,even then a few were sloppy), he can break up play against most players (it is the physical ones he struggles with), good at pressing and forcing mistakes.

I certainly wouldn't call it excellent though, not unless our standards are lowering.

Cant just accept he's decent?  No?

You're right, just stay on top of him and criticise, The next time he's shite or injured you can tell us you always knew he was shite, even when he was MOTM.

Twat.

Haha - I said he was decent, that's my point, decent not excellent.  

Just don't see the need for people to over hype him.  

Just watched a youtube clip of his performance vs Finland.  

Typical Allen performance from what I could see.  Decent, tidy in possession (making simple passes,even then a few were sloppy), he can break up play against most players (it is the physical ones he struggles with), good at pressing and forcing mistakes.

I certainly wouldn't call it excellent though, not unless our standards are lowering.

What strange comments. You watched a YouTube clip?

Not good enough for us? You do realise the worlds most expensive player was on the pitch last night?

You do realise that the welsh gave Allen their player of the year award because he had played for that year award because he may have arguably their best player?

As for your remark about Allen being week against stronger opposition " its the physical ones he struggles with" is slightly bizarre. Do you not class Yaya Toure as not one of the more physical ones? The explains why Allen gave Toure such a torrid afternoon when liverpool played the then champions before Allens well documented shoulder injury.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/02/01/3717889/yaya-toure-praise-shows-liverpools-improvement-insists-allen

You do realise that Rodgers has gone on record that Allens injury should be kept secret in case he's targeted by opposition players?

Allen could have pulled the age old " I'm not playing I'm injured" trick that Italian golden balls aquillani used to pull whenever he had a splinter up his arse from being on the bench.

If Allen becomes good enough only time will tell, but the kids trying his best, lets not curse out one of our own after winning a man of the match performance playing for his country.

What strange comments. You watched a YouTube clip?

Not good enough for us? You do realise the worlds most expensive player was on the pitch last night?

You do realise that the welsh gave Allen their player of the year award because he had played for that year award because he may have arguably their best player?

As for your remark about Allen being week against stronger opposition " its the physical ones he struggles with" is slightly bizarre. Do you not class Yaya Toure as not one of the more physical ones? The explains why Allen gave Toure such a torrid afternoon when liverpool played the then champions before Allens well documented shoulder injury.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/02/01/3717889/yaya-toure-praise-shows-liverpools-improvement-insists-allen

You do realise that Rodgers has gone on record that Allens injury should be kept secret in case he's targeted by opposition players?

Allen could have pulled the age old " I'm not playing I'm injured" trick that Italian golden balls aquillani used to pull whenever he had a splinter up his arse from being on the bench.

If Allen becomes good enough only time will tell, but the kids trying his best, lets not curse out one of our own after winning a man of the match performance playing for his country.

I posted the youtube clip in the MF, it shows his every touch in the game.  As I said he was decent.  

I think everyone knows my opinions on Allen, do I really need to repeat them?

I posted the youtube clip in the MF, it shows his every touch in the game.  As I said he was decent.  

I think everyone knows my opinions on Allen, do I really need to repeat them?

But you said Allen struggles against physical players! I'm beginning to wonder if you've ever seen the kid play.

But you said Allen struggles against physical players! I'm beginning to wonder if you've ever seen the kid play.

He did last season.  He struggled vs Dembele, Fellaini, Diame - probably more.  He bounces off some players, as he is a small guy compared to them.

It's just not his game to be a DM, you wouldn't ask Iniesta to play that role either.

Allen is a decent player.  Tidy in possession, good at pressing / forcing mistakes.  But that's about it really.  Too limited otherwise and I doubt he'll make it here.  

He is rightly back up to Lucas, Gerrard and Henderson.  People say our midfield isn;t good enough and he can't even get ahead of those options which people say aren't good enough... that doesn't speak too well about him.

He did last season.  He struggled vs Dembele, Fellaini, Diame - probably more.  He bounces off some players, as he is a small guy compared to them.

It's just not his game to be a DM, you wouldn't ask Iniesta to play that role either.

Allen is a decent player.  Tidy in possession, good at pressing / forcing mistakes.  But that's about it really.  Too limited otherwise and I doubt he'll make it here.  

He is rightly back up to Lucas, Gerrard and Henderson.  People say our midfield isn;t good enough and he can't even get ahead of those options which people say aren't good enough... that doesn't speak too well about him.

Oh ffs I've already given you examples of when he's not injured against physical players. Do you think the Finland side last night were not physical players? Do you think the side we put out against swansea twice the season before last in which Allen run fucking rings round us which included Adam Lucas Gerrard and Henderson wasn't physical enough?

The days of six two midfield lumps hacking everyone down has, thankfully, well gone.

The bottom line of it is we are challenging at the top of the table and we've got a midfield player who's not had much game time after injury having a very good game for his country.

I'm struggling to see the downside, what more do you want the boy to do? Score hatrick? Bust his shoulder? Have a stinker? Break his leg?

If he proves good enough for liverpool or not there are no negatives from Allens performance for Wales last night.