You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Record player/Vinyl

Sugar Ape

I used to collect all The Stone Roses cassette singles & they were notorious for fucking up, the advantage was you got to hear snippets of things like Guernica & Full Fathom Five 'backwards'. I think I went back into Woolies about six times for a new copy of Elephant Stone.

I found out something i didn't previously know the other day. i always knew that Don't Stop was basically Waterfall backwards but what i didn't realise was that the lyrics are based totally on how Ian Brown is interpreting his own backwards singing. And its astounding how much the finished product sounds almost exactly like the backwards version, really odd. 

If you have no idea what i'm on about, it's all here...

http://somerandomnerd.net/blog/2013/2/8/archive-post-roses-backwards 

• Upvote 3

He did some Magazine albums as well. Correct Use Of Soap is suberb.

Never really listened to magazine before, just stuck that on, definitely a grower, will be keeping my eye out for that on plastic.

Whilst doing a bit of digging about on Hannettt, found the following which was pretty good, and will be checking out the audio nerd book.

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/introduction-martin-hannett-10-records/

• Upvote 1

Check out the 2 records he did in the GF Music Club thread, Happy Mondays' Bummed and Joy Divisions Unknown Pleasures, 2 of the worst sounding albums I have ever heard. Horrendous production.

Hahaha horses fuck horses mate, i grew up with them and they are amongst my favourite albums. Bummed set the stage for the baggy era, I had the flares and dodgy hair cut, proper cunt.

Check out the 2 records he did in the GF Music Club thread, Happy Mondays' Bummed and Joy Divisions Unknown Pleasures, 2 of the worst sounding albums I have ever heard. Horrendous production.

I agree with this, his stuff is just as tinny as hell. I prefer a producer who can inject a bit of warmth and breadth into the music, like Brian Eno. His production on Remain in Light and Laid (by James) is glorious.

Bummed was released in 88, so I’m pretty sure most of the shit I listened to them was pretty tinny as it was through a Walkman so the options were tiny or muffle shite once the mega bass was switched on. Maybe it’s because it harks back to that era that I don’t mind the sound. Thenstarkness suits unknown pleasures.

I’m all over the warm shit, but even Sherwood likes to mix in a bit of starkness to highlight the echoes when he sets the faders up. Some of the tack head stuff varies from punky clarity into dub washes

• 1 year later...

Bought the wife a record player at Christmas as she had some vinyl and some crappy player her granddad gave her which sounded shite.

I've bought a few albums myself but I'm thinking this vinyl lark is all a bit shit. Put a record on and then maybe 10 minutes later have to go over and turn it over, then again twice more if it's a double LP.

Fuck that shit, hipsters are welcome to it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Bought the wife a record player at Christmas as she had some vinyl and some crappy player her granddad gave her which sounded shite.

I've bought a few albums myself but I'm thinking this vinyl lark is all a bit shit. Put a record on and then maybe 10 minutes later have to go over and turn it over, then again twice more if it's a double LP.

Get some extra exercise during lockdown yer lazy fucker.

20 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Negged. Bollocks to hipsters, buying and listening to records existed long before they did.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Negged. Bollocks to hipsters, buying and listening to records existed long before they did.

Buying LPs from little / independent record shops is probably my favourite thing. And if they are box sets / colour vinyls with all kinds of extra artwork and stuff then even better

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yeah but the reason that format is popular now ( I acknowledge there has always been a market for enthusiasts) and the reason you can buy Nevermind or The Wall on vinyl in your local Asda is the hipsters.

19 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I really don't get the appeal of vinyl and record players.

Just does not compute.

A good one sounds better than anything else so a lot of the appeal is in what you're hearing & then there's the product, the cover, the sleeve & the record itself.

Those are the things that appeal to people I suppose, they appeal to me & I'd love to get a great set up & a load of records but it's just too fucking expensive.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

A good one sounds better than anything else so a lot of the appeal is in what you're hearing & then there's the product, the cover, the sleeve & the record itself.

Those are the things that appeal to people I suppose, they appeal to me & I'd love to get a great set up & a load of records but it's just too fucking expensive.

Repped. The physical product, cover and sleeve, is second to none. I love collecting stuff, me. Like you, I wish I could afford a boss record collection.

• Upvote 1

Does anybody have any idea where I could sell a record collection during this lockdown lark? I've got 454 albums, 121 12in singles and 520 7in singles.

Some of it is quite rare stuff such as a mint copy of Abandon Ship by April Showers plus some autographed stuff by Deep Purple. I've also got over 70 books about the Beatles and some of those are rare, as well as a lot of general rock biographies.

The last lot I had I sold to a shop in town but god knows when they'll be back open.

7 minutes ago, Kidder Bukowski said:

Does anybody have any idea where I could sell a record collection during this lockdown lark? I've got 454 albums, 121 12in singles and 520 7in singles.

Some of it is quite rare stuff such as a mint copy of Abandon Ship by April Showers plus some autographed stuff by Deep Purple. I've also got over 70 books about the Beatles and some of those are rare, as well as a lot of general rock biographies.

The last lot I had I sold to a shop in town but god knows when they'll be back open.

Out of interest, do you have any other autographed stuff?

10 minutes ago, Kidder Bukowski said:

Discogs.

What autographed DP stuff have you got? (I'm not buying anything btw as moving house soon).

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

Discogs.

What autographed DP stuff have you got? (I'm not buying anything btw as moving house soon).

Last concert in Japan, Fireball, Made in Japan and Stormbringer mostly signed by Jon Lord and David Coverdale. No Tony, there were loads in the last lot I sold but they were mostly from local bands. If anyone wants to see the list PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

• Upvote 2