You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is nothing wrong with our midfield

Pureblood

So our midfield has gone from being one of the best, with strength in depth to being shite again! Maybe with our 1st choice defence last night, we’d be talking about how good the midfield looked. The midfield is of absolutely no concern for me, the concern is the depth of the defence. Any side with Moreno and Ming in will put the midfield under pressure straight away. He did ok Ming too, he just puts us under pressure with his diabolical distribution. Add to that giving Lovren his 1st run out after the World Cup and his injury problems, our ‘1st choice’ midfield might have struggled last night. Bring Allison into that game, VVD composure and passing from the back and Robbo we’d have seen a very different game. The midfield is of absolutely no concern.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

So our midfield has gone from being one of the best, with strength in depth to being shite again! 

Our midfield is really good.

But the new players haven't adjusted fully yet & they struggled at times.  Not seen anyone call it shite.  Just rightly pointing out that at times it struggled last night without the ball, especially in the first half.

I actually think the back five, bar Moreno were fine last night.  Clyne was good, Matip & Lovren didn't do much wrong, Mignolet was fine too.  Obviously the first choices are mostly better in Alisson, Van Dijk, Gomez & Robertson (not fully convinced Trent is better than Clyne yet, all round - but they're both very good).  But last night for me the midfield in that first half was struggling to function properly.

But that's why they aren't starting at the moment.  It takes a lot of coaching to get used to playing in our CM.  Ox found that last season, when he wasn't starting when he arrived and it took time.

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He was on a yellow and Hazard was miles away from goal. Hazard is incredible on the ball. He had to bring him down and take the red or leave him. He did it to several people in that run, pass, run. To single out Keita is bad news.

I’m not having that numero.  He didn’t even have to touch him he just had to run an extra yard or two to stop Hazard cutting in.  As soon as he cuts in he’s one on one with Moreno and he doesn’t stand a chance.

It’s a combination of things that caused it. He’s not miles from goal he’s on the edge of the box.  He clearly doesn’t realise how good Hazard is, probably because he hasn’t played here for long enough.  Secondly he doesn’t realise how shit Moreno is.  I’d say that adds up to him thinking he can just feign a tackle here because the chances are he won’t score.  His knowledge let’s him down but it’s the fatigue/laziness that’s the main issue.  Either he isn’t fit enough to go deep into games or he needs to work harder.  I’d suggest it’s a combination of the two because it’s not the first time he’s looked slightly suspect covering the full back like our midfielders are expected to.

I think it's a valid discussion. I think it's quite remarkable how well we have started this season when essentially it's the same side less Oxlaide Chamberlain. 

Hoping the new boys are up to speed in time for when they need a rest in the new year 

1 hour ago, Mr pink said:

I think it's a valid discussion. I think it's quite remarkable how well we have started this season when essentially it's the same side less Oxlaide Chamberlain. 

Hoping the new boys are up to speed in time for when they need a rest in the new year 

And Allison of course but yeah I made that very same point to my lad on Saturday, we’ve been lucky that Milner continues to defy science and that Wijnaldum is re-born, it’s kept the spotlight off the impact or lack thereof thus far of the big summer signings, it’s giving them the time and space to develop.

• 1 year later...