You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is nothing wrong with our midfield

Pureblood

Or maybe Sidwell is better than you and I think?!

Maybe Fulham are so poor, he's having to make more tackles.  I don't think Sidwell is an awful player, he's above average in the league, I'd say.

I have never said Lucas is world class or the best DM around.  I think he can be improved upon.  But then again so could many of our first team.  But it would have to be a top class player to do that, in all positions.

I think Steve Sidwell is a very bad footballer without any positional awareness, saw him dozens of times, such amount of tackles requires complete ballchasing brain and total lack of positional sense, his name is in the football dictionary under "out of position" entry. But that's my opinion, I don't know, maybe he's really good but I can't see it.

Second paragraph pretty sums up what I've been talking about since 2 months, I'd only specify it to the midfield section for now (I mean January). 

I think Steve Sidwell is a very bad footballer without any positional awareness, saw him dozens of times, such amount of tackles requires complete ballchasing brain and total lack of positional sense, his name is in the football dictionary under "out of position" entry. But that's my opinion, I don't know, maybe he's really good but I can't see it.

I think you're right, he's not the best positional-wise.  But he has Parker alongside him as the holding midfielder and he is allowed to go Momo Sissoko style and break up play by running around like a headless chicken.  That's probably why he has so many tackles and it is effective.

but these stats also tell You that Sidwell is a good DM when he's not even a football player, they are irrelevant because they are out of context. That's why for years we've all been saying/hearing that DM position is the most ungrateful and underestimated position because we have no specific stats to back up good performances, also playing without the ball and good positioning are more important for a DM than playing with the ball. That's why the only stats that matter are the success % of tackles & interceptions which is way more important than overall numbers, and times dribbled past. DM job is called "a dirty job" for a reason, u hardly get any credit for it, can't back it up with exciting stats but when you're gone then everything is fucking up and no one knows why. 

Like I said, every tackle should be thought of succesful event, the success % of tackles is a misnomer in terms of these stats.

The tackle stat does not tell us how 'good' Lucas is or Sidwell or any other player are either, and at no point did I say it does.

They are not irrelevant though, they can be used with other info to help build a picture of what a player does and how good they are. I do think it is impressive that Lucas tackles (as in takes the ball away from the man in possession) more than any other play in Europe's top 5 leagues though. And being 8th in the league in interceptions per game is pretty decent. They don't mean he is a good player by themselves  though

EDIT: For some reason I thought your post was quoting mine, so of course your comments about Sidwell may not have been aimed at me.

• Upvote 1

Slightly off topic but you know the English game is well and truly fucked when the fa appoint an england manager for a game against holland, holland, the team who brought the world total football and that said manager picks scotty stupid haircut parker as captain over Steven Gerrard.

Needless to say the result was a good old fashioned leathering for england even though the dutch found it hard to concentrate on the game without laughing at the fella in the middle for england with the armband on running round trying to round trying to foul everyone.

We've got very few great players and very few shit players.  We do have some of each though.  

I agree, which is my point - players like Lucas aren't great or shit.  He's somewhere between.

exactly, and somewhere between isn't good enough in one of the most important positions on the pitch when we want to get to the Champions League and stay there, it's simple.

I think he's good enough to get us in the Champs League and will prove it this season.

But I think we'd need better if we want to compete with the top sides in Europe and this league.

He'd be a brilliant back up.

Suicidal IMO.

I'm really curious who "the committee" will buy, oh well, 1,5 month to go

I think we will buy someone.

I just think it is hard to know who to buy until we know what is happening with Suarez.  I also think we have enough to get top four.

One think I would do though is try and get Alonso to sign a pre contract to come in the summer on a free.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That's your biased view getting in the way again.

It seems players on here to many people are either shit or great.

What's biased about it? I've got no bias against Steve Sidwell at all. I just don't think, based on years of watching football from all parts of the world, that Steve Sidwell is a particularly good footballer. I also don't think stats, without context, used without any other stats, are particularly informative. You can call that bias, I call it common sense. 

What's biased about it? I've got no bias against Steve Sidwell at all. I just don't think, based on years of watching football from all parts of the world, that Steve Sidwell is a particularly good footballer. I also don't think stats, without context, used without any other stats, are particularly informative. You can call that bias, I call it common sense. 

Biased - by saying the stats are irrelevant because you don't rate him regardless of stats.

I don't rate him that highly either, he's playing at the right club for his level.  But credit where it is due, he is looks like he wins the ball better than I thought looking at those stats.

The stats about Lucas don't confirm he's shit or he's great, it just might raise an eyebrow and give a indiciation that he is more effective or less effective than people think looking at their eyes.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Biased - by saying the stats are irrelevant because you don't rate him regardless of stats.

I don't rate him that highly either, he's playing at the right club for his level.  But credit where it is due, he is looks like he wins the ball better than I thought looking at those stats.

The stats about Lucas don't confirm he's shit or he's great, it just might raise an eyebrow and give a indiciation that he is more effective or less effective than people think looking at their eyes.

FFS. Utterly pointless. 

Lucas rules.  It has taken many years here for people to understand what the managers , several of them, did.  Eventually every single player will be sold or gotten rid of.  But somehow, just somehow, Lucas is still here. Sure,  he may not be here next year.  Anyway, he has played as many games for us as Alonso.  Sammy Lee played less.  Lucas has made himself proud.

• Upvote 1

Lucas rules.  It has taken many years here for people to understand what the managers , several of them, did.  

Not everyone, NV would rather see Allen or Sahin over him! LOL

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Not everyone, NV would rather see Allen or Sahin over him! LOL

I'd prefer a three man midfield of Gerrard, Allen and Sahin. You're fuckin' right over that. Still, I doubt that rubbish Sahin would want to come back now he's cemented his place in one of the best sides in the world. The shit cunt. Oh, and I'd also take the Allen that absolutely bossed teams before getting injured. You're right about that, too. Maybe we could get some possession going. 

Only joking. Lucas is a better passer than Mascherano and Hamann and better positionally then Mascherano. Nobody could possibly take his place. 'LOL' indeed.

I'd prefer a three man midfield of Gerrard, Allen and Sahin. You're fuckin' right over that. Still, I doubt that rubbish Sahin would want to come back now he's cemented his place in one of the best sides in the world. The shit cunt. Oh, and I'd also take the Allen that absolutely bossed teams before getting injured. You're right about that, too. Maybe we could get some possession going. 

Never said Allen or Sahin were shit.  But they are worse DM's than Lucas - that's the point, do keep up!

Allen bossed teams? haha, oh do behave!