You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is nothing wrong with our midfield

Pureblood

Some of the panic about the midfield has been over the top, but in my opinion it could do with being strengthened. If we are playing two in the middle Gerrard and Lucas are getting overrun too much. If it is three it is a bit better, as Henderson adds some energy, running and pressing. Stevie is on the wane though, and Lucas hasn't hit the level he was at before his injury. This is not to say they can't still make a contribution, but in my view, the days are numbered when both of them are to be relied upon, week in and week out.

We need at least one top midfielder coming in to the club sooner rather than later, in my view.  

• Upvote 1

Win a game convincingly - our midfield is fine.

Lose a game - our midfield is shit.

Repeat for ever.

Personally, I think it needs strengthened, but it's a tricky conundrum as we have Allen who is obviously rated by the management but can't get a game; Stevie, who is incosnsistent and getting older but has to play every single game seemingly; Lucas who is still a bit of unknown quantity in the sense that he's not back to his best consistently and will he ever be; and Henderson who has his strenghts but will never be top class IMO.

I don't know what the solution is.  Which type of midfielder do we sign if we are to spend the dough? 

Better - still?

Is it okay to say of the three areas on the playing pitch - the midfield is the weakest?

Sure you can but it would be wrong. We'll be looking vulnerable if anything happens to Suarez, Johnson or Enrique. We have a touch more depth in the middle of the park.

Put it this way, I'd be much more confident of Allen coming in to the side and doing a job than i would with Cissokho or Aspas (or Borini when he was here).

We look terrible when half decent teams press us high up the pitch with intensity.  Have done since Brendan came in, the results against these sides speaks volumes  I don't know if this is a problem with tactics or personnel but everything isn't rosey dosey.

careful now.  that ain't the sort of vinegar TK likes on his chips.

Just the goal scoring part, they never hit the target. 

Everytime I see Henderson with the ball, I will be like "please don't shoot, just pass it", then he will proceed to blast it over.  

Sometimes Gerrard also, but he rarely takes a clear shot at the goal now, plenty of defenders like to get in his way.

I thought it was fairly obvious.  I was putting it to G Richards that Allen could be the player he envisages.

I am looking forward to seeing what Allen can do. He looked very good at Swansea, made a good start at Liverpool, but then faded in his first season. To be fair to the lad he had a shoulder injury, so I don't want to write him off. At his best he can press, keep possession and tackle (not in the robust sense, but in the sense that he gets in there and nicks it away from the toe of his opponent). 

It may be that between the four of them - Stevie, Lucas, Henderson and Allen - we have enough for the middle for now, but I still think, with certain question marks over Stevie and Lucas, we might benefit from another top player in there. 

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself though, as Stevie and Lucas still have plenty to offer.