You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PC Gaming, Overclocking, and Graphics Cards.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Guest Numero Veinticinco

With threads for both next gen consoles, I thought it only right to throw up a thread about PCs. Anybody got a mega rig? Watercooled? Three cards?

I've not gone that far, but I do have a pretty bitchin' PC. 3570k running at 4.5Ghz with a H100i watercooling loop to keep it chilled. GTX 780 superclocked. It plays BF4 rather well.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Overclocking is just taking the clock frequency (which, in reality, is what people call the 'speed') of your component - normally the processor (or CPU - Central Processing United) and upping the frequency. Modern Intel processors ending in a 'k' are unlocked and allow you to adjust the settings in your bios to enable it to run more quickly. Running the processor at a higher clock speed means it generates more heat. So, if you put a decent cooler on it, you can run it a bit faster. Sounds like crazy stuff to do until you understand it. Basically, you adjust a few settings in bios and replace your cooler (fan, really) from the stock one like this:

AVjs8bB.jpg

to something like this, which looks much better. Which is a no-maintence water cooler. This one costs about 85 quid.

H100i-12b.jpg

When it comes to gaming the pc is much better then any console, specially if it comes to shoot em up games. Personally i only play dota2 at the moment. I have a 2 year old pc at home dont remember the specs and a pretty good laptop for gaming that i bought some months ago. When i move home again i will be buying a big mofo computer that you are talking about in the opening post with all the newest and best gear. 

I think the thing that puts me off doing that sort of thing is the fact you probably have to make a few mistakes before you completely get it right or understand how to do it.  And those mistakes will probably cost a few quid!

I had a bit of an obsession a few years ago with building myself a proper high end PC for gaming.  I obviously had no clue what I was doing but had an idea of what parts I would need.  One of the IT lads in my work basically listed all the parts to buy from a website called Scan and said he would help me build it.  My car broke down and I had to spend the money on that and then just never got round to it.  The thing that puts me off it now is I think I'm becoming less and less savvy with computers.  That and the fact playing on consoles is dead easy to just load up and go.  I always get the impression (I may be completely wrong) that playing shooters/multi-players generally on PC is always just full of cheaters anyway.  Is it?

I always get the impression (I may be completely wrong) that playing shooters/multi-players generally on PC is always just full of cheaters anyway.  Is it?

Quite the opposite. Whilst there is a large modding community on PC, they very rarely take their mods/hacks/cheats into public games. Whilst over on the consoles, once a game is hacked, it spreads throughout all public playlists/game modes.

• 1 month later...

Thats awesome.

Need to update my machine, haven't done so in 6 years, still runs most things though.

Just bought the beta of planetary anhilation off steam, once that goes properly methinks i'll finally go watercooled, or just spunk a load of money on an alienware.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

Thats awesome.

Need to update my machine, haven't done so in 6 years, still runs most things though.

Just bought the beta of planetary anhilation off steam, once that goes properly methinks i'll finally go watercooled, or just spunk a load of money on an alienware.

Build! Fuck alienware.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

With threads for both next gen consoles, I thought it only right to throw up a thread about PCs. Anybody got a mega rig? Watercooled? Three cards?

I've not gone that far, but I do have a pretty bitchin' PC. 3570k running at 4.5Ghz with a H100i watercooling loop to keep it chilled. GTX 780 superclocked. It plays BF4 rather well.

Main reason I'm not an avid PC gamer - Australian summers are brutally hot and any room with a gaming PC is automatically 10-15 degrees warmer. Wished I lived on the North Pole.

I'm looking to build a new machine once I get myself back into the world of work. Mainly for the driving game side of things as I'm not really getting the best out of the few games I do have with my current setup as it stutters on some of the mods being created.

Someone has created a mod of this for instance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transf%C4%83g%C4%83r%C4%83%C8%99an

I'm doing some mods as well so it would be nice to have something running a bit faster when I'm creating as well.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm looking to build a new machine once I get myself back into the world of work. Mainly for the driving game side of things as I'm not really getting the best out of the few games I do have with my current setup as it stutters on some of the mods being created.

Someone has created a mod of this for instance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfăgărășan

I'm doing some mods as well so it would be nice to have something running a bit faster when I'm creating as well.

It's probably my favourite hobby these days, this high end PC building lark. Total waste of my money.

Thanks, its for my mates dad for Christmas. He's mad addicted to pinball on the iPad so my mate priced his favourite pinball machine and it was £5k! I think we'll end up building this for about £500 and he can download hundreds of pinball machine variations.

Also consideing adding caster wheels and a mechanism for the tv to fold up to turn it into a media centre aswell.

It's probably my favourite hobby these days, this high end PC building lark. Total waste of my money.

I keep pricing everything up but not pulling the trigger. 

The money is there, but who knows how long the redundancy money will need to hold out and I've got a rally car in mid build. I can't really justify spending the money on a computer so I can pretend to drive a car when I have an actual car to get finished,

Unless I get a new job of course.